Couplered Big Blast

$9 and 30 minutes

66 replies to this topic

#26 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:06 AM

What if my Lowes doesn't have the SCH80 then what should I use? Just regular CPVC?
Sorry is these questions are annoying.

Edited by Dayko, 10 June 2007 - 01:07 AM.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#27 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:17 AM

What if my Lowes doesn't have the SCH80 then what should I use? Just regular CPVC?
Sorry is these questions are annoying.

Yes. This worked very well for me, since converted stock darts (and I assume Angel's red FBR) fit snugly, which is the sign of a good barrel material for spring and powerful air guns. It is also cheap and widely available, although you will also need a 1/2" CPVC coupler that fits over the pipe, and that is to be glued into the hex bushing.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#28 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:21 AM

So I still need the PVC 1-1/4" to 1/2" socket weld reducing hex bushing and a CPVC coupler?

#29 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:41 AM

So I still need the PVC 1-1/4" to 1/2" socket weld reducing hex bushing and a CPVC coupler?

Yes. Follow the same setup, and then glue/cement the coupler into the bushing after step 12

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 10 June 2007 - 01:41 AM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#30 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:21 AM

If you're using the tan CPVC stuff, you might need a shorter barrel depending on how tight it is on your darts.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#31 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:29 AM

Your lowes should have SCH80. If not see if you can find a pipe distribution company. They will have it.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#32 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:29 PM

There is a plumbing supplies store up the road from me, would they have this stuff?

#33 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:39 PM

Thats flippen sweet. Actual ranges would be nice two.

Better spelling would be nice also.

This gun IS flippin' sweet. Bought one last night and just finished slapping a CPVC coupler on it. I got BAD ranges and stinky fishtailing. Ran inside, grabbed 8 inches of brass, added e-tape so it would fit in the coupler, and got dart losing ranges.

I got at least 80 feet accurately and the rockets get about 60 feet with a small, yet normal incline for rockets. Very happy.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#34 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:34 PM

With CS mod here will it still be able too fire the large missiles that come with it?

#35 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:57 PM

There is a plumbing supplies store up the road from me, would they have this stuff?

Yes

With CS mod here will it still be able too fire the large missiles that come with it?

Not unless you use a barrel material that has the same outer diameter as the stock barrel. The only material I know of is this aluminum barrel I've been experimenting with that has a 5/8" OD.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#36 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:00 PM

Where would I find this aluminum barrel?

#37 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:39 PM

Mcmaster part# 1658T49 - Alloy 6063 Aluminum Round Tube .625" OD, .527" ID, 8' Length = $7.54 for 8 feet

Edited by CaptainSlug, 10 June 2007 - 03:39 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#38 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:47 PM

Can it only be bought form there? You can't find it at Lowes?

#39 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:50 PM

Lowes has jack nothing comparatively(sp). McMaster has most od anything that you could ever need for piping.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

-Baghead

#40 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:53 PM

Can it only be bought form there?

They are the only source for that particular barrel material. I generally prefer to order tubing/pipe from them because I always know exactly what I'm getting down to the thousandths of an inch.

#41 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:00 PM

Other than making it yourself, that is the way to get most barrells(sp).
-Nerfer34

-Baghead

#42 wintermute

wintermute

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

I haven't heard of many people using it, but 1/2 inch copper makes an EXCELLENT barrel for my 1/2 inch stefans. It is also fairly cheap, easy to work with, and readily available from Home Depot or Lowes. Also, as I said in another thread, I did the CS mod, and found out that the 1/2 inch copper will fit tightly into a 1/2 in CPVC coupler, which will then fit tightly into the 1/2 inch PVC coupler used in the CS writeup.

I used a 12" barrel, and the ranges were quite satisfying.

#43 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:17 PM

Ohh yeah this was another question I had: What size barrel should I use? I will be using it for both stefans and stock darts. Also General Cole what is the SP in your post?
Another thing when asking at Lowes for the SCH80 should I say SCH80 or is there another way too say it? In case they don't know what that is.

Edited by Dayko, 10 June 2007 - 10:18 PM.

#44 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:07 AM

SCH80 = Schedule 80
(sp) = too lazy to check the correct spelling
Barrel size = Something between .51" to .535" in ID

#45 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:22 AM

I should have been more specific in my last post. How long should the barrel be? Length wise.

#46 monkey with a nf

monkey with a nf

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:44 AM

To find the ideal barrel length for anything, use the following formula:

Air volume(plunger tube volume, or in this case, pump volume times number of pumps) * constant/(radius of barrel^2) , where the constant is a number between 3-4, depending on how tight your barrel is.

EDIT: Clarification

Edited by monkey_with_a_nf, 11 June 2007 - 06:44 AM.

QUOTE(Pineapple @ Sep 12 2007, 03:13 PM) View Post

For maximum efficiency?

1. Pump up. Count how many pumps.

2. Keep going until you hear a loud "bang".

3. Subtract one pump from the total. Rebuild your air bladder.

There you go.

#47 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:35 AM

For the big blast a barrel length somewhere between 10 and 14 inches works best. I tend to avoid bothering with barrels longer than 14 inches because they become awkward.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 11 June 2007 - 09:36 AM.

#48 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:11 PM

As I said, I put a CPVC coulper on mine and my barrel is 17/32s brass. I acheived ranges of at least 100 feet with the brass. I put the 6 inch CPVC barrel in the coupler with the rocket over it and it was about a 15 foot increase from stock.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#49 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:07 PM

If you plug the pump of your Big Blast and that results in your trigger breaking it's not really that difficult to make a new one. I made this one in in 30 minutes using 1/16" ABS plastic sheet with a layer of 1/8" acrylic on either side to add the slides and trigger pin hook.
Posted Image

#50 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:57 PM

What doe's plugging the pump do? Nice trigger CS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users