35 replies to this topic

#26 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:37 PM

"Stop being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative."

I'm not. I am trying to inform people that there is a better product on the market. I have talked about the Archos Gen 04 family on many forums in a non-argumentative fashion, and people do not listen.

Now, I don't recall saying that everyone has to share the same opinion as I do, but if I have, I aploogize. I am perfectly fine with people having differing opinions, so long as they are informed, differing opinions.

For example, statment such as the ones below, say to me, this is not an informed opinion:

"Zune. No comparison with video size or quality." - Anyone who knows about video formats knows that VOB is king.

"iPods are NOT the best players on the market, merely the most convenient and accesible." - Yes, they are the most accesible in terms of where you can buy, but convenient, in terms of use, is not true. I for one, while I was accustomed to the wheel, found that a "d-pad" was much more convenient once I adjusted. 90% of the people that have used my Archos agree. If you mean convenient in another way, my apologies.

I'm not going to go through the whole thread, and I don't mean to pick on the people I did quote, but, my point is, people are just not aware of the products on the market. I apologize again if I come off as rude or agrumentative, but I get so mad that the greater products get pushed aside because of money and PR.

/fin for thread.

#27 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:27 PM

Since my Sony Walkman cassette tape player just died, I have, by circumstances, gravitated toward the iPod and it's related products.

I have an older 20g iPod, click wheel. Just learning the ropes on how they work.

iPod Shuffle...just gave it away. It was cute, but way too small, without any way of figuring out which way the playlists move and flow.

I really don't see any huge differences between most of the mp3/ iPod products nowadays for media playback. Most are just subtleties and brand loyalty to boast about, and if the minute details and qualities are fuel for argument, I'd think that it's time to get out and breathe some fresh air.

I bet most of the users here don't even know what a cassette tape looks like, or seen a Sony Walkman cassette player.

I won't even show you guys the 8-track player in my truck. God forbid.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#28 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:33 PM

Actually I grew up on cassette tapes and records. For my Father's birthday in 2005 I recorded all of his LPs into MP3 format. That was a really time consuming and irritating project.
I've had a few 8-tracks, but haven't used a player since I was 5.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#29 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:58 PM

RAMBO, I am sure you have a huge respect on this forum...probable more than I do, but the last posts you made on this page of this topic have sounded pretty much like a flaming homo to me.

Now, I haven't taken the time to read all of everyone of your posts on this page, but the first sentence was enough for me. You are putting people down with rants everytime.

So I will start post by post.

First post, I don't see why you have to correct him due to a small error.

Second, the Zune allows Zune to Zune transfers, so no, that wasn't illegal. Maybe YOU need to read the 'market'.

As for video capatability...what is wrong with being able to accept those formats. It accepts everything iPod can plus 2 more from what you said. That's a plus in my book!

And the last few statements concerning VOB or whatever and the fact that Archose wins and our products lose a little childish isn't it? Hey guys guess who I am: "I win, you lose HAHAHAHA *menstrual cramp*". You came off a weeeee bit too mean there buster!

Onto your second post: You need to practice what you preach.

Why should he have to say what he's made it capable when you are most likely the only person that has posted on this topic to talk about VOB. I have never heard of it, I bet he has never heard of it, and I bet at least 3 other members that posted this haven't heard of it.

And all the time you are talking about no touch wheel or buttons or whatever, I'm asking myself how the f*ck does he control this little energy wasting thing you worship? So maybe you need to explain some.

Your next post: Yes, ignorance IS bliss isn't it?

You are ranting and raving stuff and telling us how much of a holy and Godlike product the Archoses are. We are stating our opinions, you are stating your opinion. We are stating them the way the topic started wanted us to: What kind of product do you use? They did not ask us what product do you use and why is it so much friggin' better than all the rest.

This is not a forum of facts and what's better or worse. When it comes down to the noobish topic of whether the Titan or the Xbow is better, you are first to shove the mighty dick of satan down their throat with 'stop posting this foolishness, you would suck with either one' rather than informing them.

You are shooting the gun too soon and I am mainly posting this because I was attacked by you via your post RAMBO. I have been attacked privious times as well by you for stating my opinion. No one said it was the best either, so why are you prying their face off with yours being better than theirs?

All I have to say is that you came on harshly to a subject that hardly needed defending. It was all opinionated responces and you chewed them up and spit them out and put yours in their place.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#30 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:56 PM

Ok, ok, I suppose /fin was not a correct statment, but I can't not respond to this.

RAMBO, I am sure you have a huge respect on this forum...probable more than I do, but the last posts you made on this page of this topic have sounded pretty much like a flaming homo to me.

I'm not after respect. I nerf, therefore I am.

Now, I haven't taken the time to read all of everyone of your posts on this page, but the first sentence was enough for me. You are putting people down with rants everytime.

So I will start post by post.

First post, I don't see why you have to correct him due to a small error.

Uhh, I didn't my first post is entirely informative. It covers my Archos review, Archos models, the one problem I have with my Archos, and that I would take an Archos over an iPod.

Second, the Zune allows Zune to Zune transfers, so no, that wasn't illegal. Maybe YOU need to read the 'market'.

Last time I checked, the law says something along the lines of: If you're not paying for it it's illegal. This is a broad statment, and obviously not verbatim. Now, certain things allow you to get it without paying. Sure, MySpace artist pages, artist homepages, etc. But, unless each artist consents to each share of the songs on your Zunes, that act violates the DMCA(Digital Millenium Copyright Act, for the uninitiated). I'm not up on Zune's rules/applicable laws, but I've never heard of such a leniency being granted. So, show me something that says you can transfer any files between one another or a large list of songs that Microsoft has approval for. Unless I see that, in my mind it is illegal. You might not care, but I'm merely saying.

As for video capatability...what is wrong with being able to accept those formats. It accepts everything iPod can plus 2 more from what you said. That's a plus in my book!

And the last few statements concerning VOB or whatever and the fact that Archose wins and our products lose a little childish isn't it? Hey guys guess who I am: "I win, you lose HAHAHAHA *menstrual cramp*". You came off a weeeee bit too mean there buster!

I did a nice thing, as usual, and I made a simple chart in case you don't want to read/won't understand it.

----------If you admit your retardation, skip lower!------------

Now, compression is used to attain smaller file types. Compressed file types include things like mp3, ogg(Audio), wmv, avi, divx, m4a, mp4(Video). Now, obviously, something about these compressed files are different. Image/audio quality is sacrificed. Now, regardless of whether you notice it or not, a CD plays at a greater rate than an mp3. You might need super-human ears or state-of-the-art sound equipment to notice this difference, but it is there.

A CD, at maximum, is 800MB. We all know that CDs do not normally have more than 20 tracks. This would make each track 40MB on average. We should also all know that mp3's are not typically 40MB, even at a maximum encoding rate of 320kpbs. Obviously there is compression going on, and it is quite a lot. The same concept applies when you go from VOB(file type of files actually on the DVD) to a file like wmv, or mp4. The file is much smaller, but id doesn't display as much. However, this is noticable with the human eye. I ran the same movie at max encoding rates of mp4 files and vob on my Archos, and the difference showed that vob is much greater. Sure, it's a lot bigger, but someone made a statment like: "Zune has unparalled video playback quality and size". I was trying to inform everyone that wmv is not the greatest video file type and that vob is.
------------------------------------------

------------Chart----------------------

Posted Image

Onto your second post: You need to practice what you preach.

What am I preaching again? Reading people's names rather than their avatars?

Why should he have to say what he's made it capable when you are most likely the only person that has posted on this topic to talk about VOB. I have never heard of it, I bet he has never heard of it, and I bet at least 3 other members that posted this haven't heard of it.

I'm sorry that everyone in the thread, with the exception of CaptainSlug(Who, I'd bet knows what VOB is), is ignorant to file types. Look up VOB, go to any video geeks forum, and trust me, you'll read about VOB's superior playback, even though the file size is larger.

And all the time you are talking about no touch wheel or buttons or whatever, I'm asking myself how the f*ck does he control this little energy wasting thing you worship? So maybe you need to explain some.

"Little energy wasting thing"? The charger consumes less power than that of the iPods. Just an FYI, since, once again, you've showed off your ignorance with class. As I have said in at least one of my posts, there is a D-pad. Think old Nintendo controllers. Arrows up, down, left, and right. That's what it boils down to for volume/scrolling through file names.

Your next post: Yes, ignorance IS bliss isn't it?

Not sure what you call being ignorant, but the dictionary calls it, "lacking in knowledge or training." Now, as I've said, I have used 4 different generations of iPods, one Archos model, one Zune, and quite a few other mp3 players. So, I am for sure not lacking knowledge of hardware, and since I know more about file types and software, I'd say I'm not lacking in knowledge of software. If there's another part of computers that I haven't touched, please let me know, because last time I checked, computers ran on hardware and software.[/red]

You are ranting and raving stuff and telling us how much of a holy and Godlike product the Archoses are. We are stating our opinions, you are stating your opinion. We are stating them the way the topic started wanted us to: What kind of product do you use? They did not ask us what product do you use and why is it so much friggin' better than all the rest.

OP said " I personally don't see why they[iPods] are so great and I want different opinions to that." That to me, sounds like he wants to know what things are better and why. Also, I have said many times that I am trying to alleviate the world of ignorance. If I have to be argumentative to do that, so be it.

This is not a forum of facts and what's better or worse. When it comes down to the noobish topic of whether the Titan or the Xbow is better, you are first to shove the mighty dick of satan down their throat with 'stop posting this foolishness, you would suck with either one' rather than informing them.

The bottomline is that certain file types are better than others. This is a fact. Now, it is an opinion that the file size is worth the extra quality, which I have stated. OP asked for opinions, and I gave him mine. My opinion is based on facts and non-ignorance. Yours are not. When I get argumentative, all I'm trying to prove is that you don't know the facts.

You are shooting the gun too soon and I am mainly posting this because I was attacked by you via your post RAMBO. I have been attacked privious times as well by you for stating my opinion. No one said it was the best either, so why are you prying their face off with yours being better than theirs?

My opinon, as I have said, is based on facts. Yours is not. Period.

All I have to say is that you came on harshly to a subject that hardly needed defending. It was all opinionated responces and you chewed them up and spit them out and put yours in their place.

[color="red"]I have apologized for this. I have an agressive streak especially in regard to forum postings which I try to control, but it's tough since people never seem to be reading and or understanding my posts. Again, as I have said, those opinoins were not based on true facts. I tried to clarify those facts. If I was too agressive for your feeble psyche to handle, maybe you shouldn't be reading forums in the first place.

Edited by RAMBO, 14 May 2007 - 10:03 PM.

#31 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:19 PM

Last time I checked, the law says something along the lines of: If you're not paying for it it's illegal. This is a broad statment, and obviously not verbatim. Now, certain things allow you to get it without paying. Sure, MySpace artist pages, artist homepages, etc. But, unless each artist consents to each share of the songs on your Zunes, that act violates the DMCA(Digital Millenium Copyright Act, for the uninitiated). I'm not up on Zune's rules/applicable laws, but I've never heard of such a leniency being granted. So, show me something that says you can transfer any files between one another or a large list of songs that Microsoft has approval for. Unless I see that, in my mind it is illegal. You might not care, but I'm merely saying.

The songs are DRM'd to last for three days or three plays, whichever is first. It is practically impossible to use this feature to pirate music. Each song comes with a link to buy it. Microsoft's lawyers believe that the sharing constitutes fair use, and no copyright holder has disagreed with them (largely because the sharing encourages people to buy the music they encounter).

Also, a format with higher quality and larger file size is a wash. It's the quality/size ratio that's important. That said, I am a fan of ogg videos.

#32 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:24 AM

Holy shit, calm down with all the razzledazzle and hype. I think it's interesting to hear what everyone's listening to; who said anything about ignorance in this thread?

I happen to be toting a 30GB iPod video. I like it because it fits me and my music/video preferences. To be honest, I don't utilize the video capability overly much. I have it for the sake of simple accessibility to my music, and the larger storage size to house my library. It is currently full, with 6300 songs, a select few videos, and a small deal of photos. I enjoy it and it was a wise investment for me, especially going into the college season. The disadvantage of it is how file types are anal and it takes time to convert things to put them on. Luckily, I've taken the time to work on that.

I have also experienced the MP3 player side of the story too, so I can't be too biased. I have a 128MB iRiver something. It was when MP3 players first came out, when Rio and iRiver dominated the market. Despite the smaller size, I enjoy using the player. It was easy to get songs on in little time and get listening fast. The drawbacks to the player are the lack of depth in organization, as provided in iTunes. Also, it doesn't have a rechargable battery, so I blow a wad on that. Then again, it is old, and the newer stuff out there probably fixes these disadvantages.

I don't have blind faith and glorify one or the other. I take my iPod more often than my MP3 player because my musical tastes change several times in a day. I go through recurring stages with bands I listen to.

I like how an argument can be drawn from virtually anything. Chill out and just enjoy the long strange trip you're on in your music.

~Rings
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#33 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:01 AM

Wow, you really take this way too seriously RAMBO.

Not everyone is a power user like yourself, not everyone is offended by proprietary formats, not everyone cares about ogg vorbis. No wait. No-one gives a shit about ogg vorbis.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#34 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:10 AM

Hey Rambo,

VOB owns. I've done my share of video editing and dvd authoring to know.

Seriously guys, the quality is literally DVD quality compared to other formats, which are comparable to youtube stuff.

.WMV and .FLV are probably the worst and most widely used from what I know.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#35 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:15 PM

Wow, you really take this way too seriously RAMBO.

Not everyone is a power user like yourself, not everyone is offended by proprietary formats, not everyone cares about ogg vorbis. No wait. No-one gives a shit about ogg vorbis.

Ok? I mentioned it once in the entire thread as an example of a compressed music fomat. I never said it was better, or even worth using, but plenty of internet radio streams it.

I'm not offended by proprietary formats. I'm offended when people make statments about a format being best, when they are not.

Hey Rambo,

VOB owns. I've done my share of video editing and dvd authoring to know.

Seriously guys, the quality is literally DVD quality compared to other formats, which are comparable to youtube stuff.

.WMV and .FLV are probably the worst and most widely used from what I know.

Thank you, someone with a brain.

The songs are DRM'd to last for three days or three plays, whichever is first. It is practically impossible to use this feature to pirate music. Each song comes with a link to buy it. Microsoft's lawyers believe that the sharing constitutes fair use, and no copyright holder has disagreed with them (largely because the sharing encourages people to buy the music they encounter).

Also, a format with higher quality and larger file size is a wash. It's the quality/size ratio that's important. That said, I am a fan of ogg videos.

Thanks. Finally someone who is willing to explain something.

Well, I don't watch a lot of WMV movies, but the ones I have seen aren't very good quality in regards to their size. When you have a 160GB player, size doesn't much matter.

#36 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:06 PM

Geeze, this'll never end.

Until now.

*CLOSED*

You twits watch too much TV and movies anyway. Worse if it's on a teeny little screen.

Read a book or five.

RAMBO, while I myself am impressed with your knowledge of the varieties of media formats and their advantages and disadvantages, and why you advocate one over another, it'll be of little use here at the Haven where most of the younger users are either pretty much set in what they have/ what mom and dad bought them, or are closed in thought to your expertise. You'd probably do better as a sales rep at Circuit City or Best Buy or something of that matter.

I, however, will do some research on what you said. The 8-track in my Ford truck doesn't work anymore anyway. :(

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users