33 replies to this topic

#26 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:53 AM

First of all, Pokemon was awesome. I played something like 6-8 years ago pretty well. My brother actually made it to #9 out of like several hundred at the first east coast super trainer showdown. I don't remember what happened but I know there was a technicality in his last match that kept him from the top 8 that moved on.

Anyway, I got out of pokemon many years ago when I lost at a local tournament to a 9 year old girl on her FIRST FUCKING TURN. It was bad enough I was slightly older than most players (however there were plenty older than me), but the fact remained that the game mechanics were so predictable that ANYONE, yes even a 9 year old girl, could pull a win out of their ass. Not to dwell on the subject, but I remember the EXACT specifics of how she won and literally gave up the game that day. I sold my deck to the store and never played again. True story.

Anyway, after that I got recruited to play probably one of the greatest games that never saw a true huge following. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people on here have seen/heard or even played the game. That game was Magi-Nation. The mechanics were perfect, but a few minor tweaks were necessary with later sets because of their asshole play-testers. Long story.

As far as Magic, I played a few times. There was always someone with a Magic Deck looking for a game at my local comic shop. However it never matched the fun of playing Magi-Nation. Every player had a different strategy. There were hardly ever the same decks winning the tournaments, but you did see the players winning alot. My favorite part was always meta gaming with things other players would not necessarily think of. For those who don't know, there are 12 regions to play as, and most of the players stick to one or 2 regions at most (Kinda like Magic colors). My favorite thing was to throw a creature or something in there that they were completely unready for, even if it wasn't a game altering strategy. Just to keep them guessing.

I still kept all my Magi-Nation stuff. If anyone is ever looking for a game, hit me up.
I hate you.

#27 Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse

• Banned
  • 487 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:05 PM

A buddy of mine has one of those super rare black lotus cards in mint condition. He has been playing for a really long time and he is 24 now. He refuses to sell it. He calls it his investment because the price keeps going up.

My Friend lost had a black lotus and then staked it for another one... Won the match and was extremely happy. He went on to win decks and money but I never seemed to get into the game.

Never got the concept. Is it like yugioh and pokemon?? Not that I really got into those either.

Edit: Actually I used to be a pokemon freak...

Edited by Substance Abuse, 28 May 2007 - 09:27 PM.

QUOTE(Brass @ Jul 6 2007, 10:30 PM) View Post

QUOTE(keef @ Jul 6 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Yeah, I'm in the same case as Substance Abuse...
Brass, ask your mother.

She said your dad owes her three dollars.

#28 Daedalin

Daedalin

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:30 PM

It's somewhat similar to YuGiOh, though it relies more on card combos than who can get the best creature out fastest. Some of the most annoying decks to play against run no creatures in them at all, and instead focus on denying the opponent moves, or eating away at their deck, or just burning the weak spot for massive damage.

In my opinion, it's a far more strategic game than YuGiOh or Pokemon, and you get more cards for your money, to boot :lol:

...Still play Pokemon, though!
Power Metal Rule Number Twenty-eight
Songs come in two tempos: Metal and Ballad.

#29 Liam

Liam

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:56 PM

I used to play magic. I have like 800 cards that I'm just going to give away or something.
The chances of one person taking a bomb on a plane are one in a million. The chances of two people taking a bomb on a plane are one in a trillion. So if you're scared of a terrorist attack, bring a bomb on a plane.

#30 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:09 PM

I used to play magic. I have like 800 cards that I'm just going to give away or something.

I'll take em off your hands.
Nobody online Nerfs in the SE :(

#31 Liam

Liam

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:03 PM

I'll take em off your hands.

I already gave them all to my brothers friend who was over my house yesterday. It turns out, I had a few good ones. But they're gone now sorry.
The chances of one person taking a bomb on a plane are one in a million. The chances of two people taking a bomb on a plane are one in a trillion. So if you're scared of a terrorist attack, bring a bomb on a plane.

#32 baseballnolan5

baseballnolan5

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:13 PM

I used to play a little. A few of my friends were way into it. One of them had a few of those long cardboxes full of decks. I was in boyscouts and when we went camping we'd have like 5 games going at once. He had a sliver deck that killed but I beat it with a (don't remember what its called i think its burn or something) red instant damage deck in like 3 turns. I have some rare card like an angel thing and a blue? deck.
QUOTE View Post

About how much are you holding in the pictures on the spools?

A shit ton.

QUOTE(Langley @ Aug 6 2007, 05:41 PM) View Post

The shot hit Andy squarely in the forehead. He was, in fact, on my team.

#33 wintermute

wintermute

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:46 PM

I used to play magic all the time... then it got ridiculous when a new series would come out every month or so. Still have a bunch of cards from urza's through onlsaught and prophecy.

Edited by wintermute, 21 June 2007 - 11:46 PM.

#34 NERF Downunder

NERF Downunder

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:26 AM

I think i have a deck of magic the gathering cards.

Heh, i traded some kid 35k on runescape :P for a ninja deck or something. I think it was a good deal, but i never learnt to play......is it hard?
[size=2]Im not racist, i hate everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users