Odd New Dart

very wierd...

22 replies to this topic

#1 nerfispwnage243

nerfispwnage243

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:43 PM

It was wierd. I was making a variation of a blood tear, and I had some empty cut down foam, so I put some hot glue on a small lego stud and it fit perfectly!! It doesn't go far, but it hurts like hell.

#2 Robonerfer1

Robonerfer1

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:23 AM

Interesting idea, however Nerf isn't about making people feel pain, It's about having fun modding guns, then shooting people with them.
XBL GT: XPwNaGexDuDex12 add me
QUOTE(OfAllTheNerf @ Mar 29 2008, 04:11 PM) View Post

Yeah, it also helps if your nuts are made of steel. Or atleast as hard as steel, to ensure that you can shoot far enough.

#3 hierarchy

hierarchy

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:28 AM

I agree with robonerfer1 this is nerf the whole point is to mod and have fun shooting not making people get hurt.
QUOTE(Retiate @ Aug 13 2007, 08:43 PM) View Post

I guess you have some heavy duty industrial strength toilet paper holders. Do they advise you to wear eye protection when changing rolls?

My TTG mod.

#4 nerfispwnage243

nerfispwnage243

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

I agree with robonerfer1 this is nerf the whole point is to mod and have fun shooting not making people get hurt.

Ya I get what you mean. I just thought it was interesting.

#5 King Of Butt Land

King Of Butt Land

• Banned
  • 324 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:02 PM

You know what annoys me? Relatively new members who have the same avatars as vets. I have to keep doing double takes.

-Butt
QUOTE(Puppy-§layer @ Dec 18 2008, 04:22 AM) View Post

This contest may have some flaws, as people can simply be a deuschbag over the internet. By Lying.

A war-like setting/invitational would be better...

#6 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:53 PM

Wow Butt, Very informative. But really, I nerf because I get to work with tools, and my handyman skills. Nerf isn't about pain. If you want pain, go paintball or airsoft.
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#7 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:18 PM

Butt is right, but they haven't been on the site for long and don't know the vets.
There are like, 50-frickin-milion people that have pineapple's pic.
Anyhoo, on to the pain deal. You say that it is not about pain, and it isn't, entirely. Try nerfing with weak guns and super-safe shots that don't hurt. See how much it sucks? Part of the fun is caused by the welts and bruises. If it doesn't hurt, your not going to try not get hurt, so you can just stand next to each other all day and shoot shot after shot at each other. However, when things hurt a little bit more, you do not want to be shot, so you run around and take cover, making thinds much more enjoyable. Don't give me the shit about it hurting to much, if you don't want to get hurt, then don't nerf. Simple.
The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#8 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:23 PM

Anyhoo, on to the pain deal. You say that it is not about pain, and it isn't, entirely. Try nerfing with weak guns and super-safe shots that don't hurt. See how much it sucks?

You can also play because you like to win, not because you want to get hit by one of these darts or shot by a Titan in the balls or at close range so it can leave a welt. I know that's not as extreme as you went, but it is retarded to play because you want to get hurt. That's not what Nerf is supposed to be about.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#9 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:29 PM

Maybe I din't make myself as clear as I thought. I don't play just to get hurt, I play with hurting guns to make the game fun, so you really DON'T want to get hit, so you run and take cover and it makes things better than just being able to get hit without anything really happening besides "your dead". Also, who plays to win? I play to have fun... I thought that was the point.
The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#10 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:33 PM

Also, who plays to win? I play to have fun... I thought that was the point.

OMC. Go ask any ten members here how fun getting hurt is, and I'll bet you that they say it isn't. I know what you were saying, but winning the game and having fun kicking ass is the incentive we use to not get shot. If I need pain, I go play paintball that weekend. I don't nerf to hurt myself or others.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

#11 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:47 PM

Oh joy, another heated debate over something stupid, oh well if you cant beat em join em:

I think adding a little pain adds fun, but nothing to extreme. People should not be used as a target for Titan.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jul 21 2009, 08:13 PM) View Post
QUOTE(crispy) View Post

Talio likes to eat his own shit.
It's a distinct possibility. But seriously, that's all you could come up with? You are a terrible Troll.

#12 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:54 PM

Is it necessary for ten people to say 'nerf isn't about pain' and then start an argument?

Please end this.

However, for my post to be relevant, I do think there is a little bit of excitement in human beings whenever we have the capability to harm/when we see something get harmed (Car crash by Dane cook anyone?) so it's kind of neat to know you have darts that can hurt.

AA
Indiana '11

#13 Robonerfer1

Robonerfer1

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:08 PM

Well a little stinging and welts never hurt, but this sounds like it could break skin if it was shot out of a LBB or Titan. Also, it wasn't a flame, don't take that the wrong way.
Fair enough? <_<
XBL GT: XPwNaGexDuDex12 add me
QUOTE(OfAllTheNerf @ Mar 29 2008, 04:11 PM) View Post

Yeah, it also helps if your nuts are made of steel. Or atleast as hard as steel, to ensure that you can shoot far enough.

#14 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:33 PM

I doubt getting hit by a foam dart with a lego in it is really more "painful" than getting hit by one with a copper BB in it...

..if you can even call it "pain" in the first place.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#15 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:07 AM

Maybe I din't make myself as clear as I thought. I don't play just to get hurt, I play with hurting guns to make the game fun, so you really DON'T want to get hit, so you run and take cover and it makes things better than just being able to get hit without anything really happening besides "your dead". Also, who plays to win? I play to have fun... I thought that was the point.

Well, one thing that really adds a lot of fun to Nerfing is the ability and willingness to dodge darts being shot at you. Who would sprint at someone, darting from side to side and attempting to dodge projectiles being shot at them, when the person you're running at has a full-auto Airsoft gun capable of leaving holes in your shirt (Yes, that did happen to someone, he had holes all up and down the back of his shirt.) and even breaking skin?
This is what makes Nerf a much less take-cover-and-advance game, but more of a run around, dodge, shoot, pull really cool moves and have fun game. Not as serious and milsim as Airsoft or Paintball but I think has more action and is a lot faster paced.

I doubt getting hit by a foam dart with a lego in it is really more "painful" than getting hit by one with a copper BB in it...

..if you can even call it "pain" in the first place.

The type of weight really has no effect on how much a dart hurts. As long as the dart is properly weighted, it will fly pretty fast and hit pretty hard. You could have a dart stuffed with pink bunnies and it would hurt just as much as a dart with a lead fishing weight in it as long as the tips were the same material (hotglue) and the weights were approximately equal.
And the gun you shoot it out of has a huge impact on how much the dart hurts (Nerf Slingshot vs. Crossbow).

I think the higher amount of pain from these darts is caused from the size. Without pictures, I'm assuming the "left over foam" is no bigger than a 1/2". Smaller projectiles tend to sting a bit more. However, Frost Vectron is probably right in that the Lego piece is probably too light for your dart, and a copper BB or lead fishing weight would make it shoot further and hit harder.

#16 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

Oh joy, another heated debate over something stupid, oh well if you cant beat em join em:

I think adding a little pain adds fun, but nothing to extreme. People should not be used as a target for Titan.

It's not a stupid debate. It is understandable that some pains may be caused in a war, accidentally, but it is retarded to go into a war with the intent of causing pain. That's not why we nerf. We don't need any incentives to dodge darts other than wanting to win or play to have fun.

#17 used man

used man

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:07 PM

Yes you may say that pain is the incentive to dodge. But no, in the past i have had many stock gun/dart wars. They dont hurt but when you get hit that hurts your team so let them get mad at you because you ran into a stream of darts. I mean come on the point of nerf is to be able to shoot each other with just enough pain to feel it, i mean if you think NO PAIN than go water war if you think UP WITH PAIN as stated before paintball or airsoft. Nerf is for fun not pain.

#18 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:00 PM

I mean come on the point of nerf is to be able to shoot each other with just enough pain to feel it, i mean if you think NO PAIN than go water war if you think UP WITH PAIN as stated before paintball or airsoft.

Being able to feel something is not pain. Pain is being excessive in that use of force, and is completely unnecessary in wars.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 11 May 2007 - 08:01 PM.

#19 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:17 PM

Yes you may say that pain is the incentive to dodge.

I think pain would actually kind of be an incentive to not dodge (depending on how much it hurts). It would be an incentive to hide behind something and camp there, which leads to long, boring games.
Why are pistol rounds so much fun? Because nobody has guns that shoot real far and are easier to dodge, so it's usually full of shooting, dodging, running etc. And that makes things fun.
I'm not saying that powerful guns make games less fun, with enough people, they can add a whole lot of fun to games. 1v1 or 2v2 with high powered guns would have way more camping than say, a 6v6 because you can do a lot more strategic moves to get the guy with powerful guns if you have more people.
But overall, I don't really mind high powered guns. Sure, it'll hurt for a little bit, but then it's gone. (Assuming guns that break skin are banned)

It's not like you can't dodge darts coming from high powered guns anyway. :P

Edited by Retiate, 11 May 2007 - 08:18 PM.

#20 used man

used man

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

strategy?!?! do you think war is coriographed?! i mean usualy its just one man suicide rushes. packs are sniped and rf20s

#21 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:57 PM

I don't play to win
I don't play to get hurt
I don't play to hurt other people
I don't play to give people welts

I play to have fun. Pain is not a good incentive to dodge, it's an incentive to hide, as Retiate said. With people hiding behind random obstacles to avoid welts, nerf turns into a shitty game of shooting random shots at your friend's bunker.

But...

Pain is nessecary for nerf. Not welt-causing pain, just a little pain. Without a little pain, you end up with those retarded "I shot you!" "No you didn't!" arguments that take away valuable time that you could be using to shoot at each other. You need people to know they've been shot when you shoot them.

No Pain - Arguments and Confusion
Too Much Pain - Welts and Camping

You gotta find somewhere in between for Nerf to be FUN. That's why I use uber-modified guns that fire stock tagger darts. Taggers easily get 80-100' in powerful guns, they don't hurt too much, they're easy to find, and I have almost 300 of them.

That's what me and my friends used a week ago in a 3v3 war, and we had a shitload of fun.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#22 NerfFreak

NerfFreak

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:04 PM

Why the hell did this topic turn from a new dart type to whether or not nerfing should hurt?

Anyway, interesting idea. I'm wondering, would these darts be good for some sort of indoor enviroment, like a medium-sized room?
Nuckin' Futz

#23 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:11 PM

Nerfturtle, go Nerf before talking about Nerf. Everything you said was obviously pulled out of your ass.

strategy?!?! do you think war is coriographed?! i mean usualy its just one man suicide rushes. packs are sniped and rf20s

You also obviously do not Nerf. It's not all "one man suicide rushes." I think trying to plan out every move takes the fun and unpredictability out of a war, but there is some strategy involved.

I have no idea what the fuck you said with that "packs are sniped and rf20s" bit. Learn to speak and type coherently so people know what you mean.
SexD Warves

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users