Photo

Dollar Store Guns?

10 replies to this topic

#1 loni

loni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:56 PM

Sorry if this is old but the search didnt really work right...

Does anyone think that it would be worth it to buy a cheap dollar store gun and mod it to become a decent sidearm. It would be simple mods yet enough to make it a formidable force when out of ammo. Any negative or positive feedback is wanted.

-Loni

Edited by loni, 02 February 2007 - 09:17 PM.

"I don't nerf to see who is the best, I nerf to see who is the biggest bitch"

#2 PennyWise

PennyWise

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:26 PM

In my experience, dollar store guns are cheap pieces of crap that are not realy worth buying. I'd just buy a nitefinder, they're only five bucks and are better than any dollor store gun.

Edited by PennyWise, 02 February 2007 - 09:27 PM.

#3 Skitzo

Skitzo

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:35 PM

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=8046
If soldiers were to begin to think, not one of them would remain in the army.- Frederick The Great

#4 loni

loni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:10 PM

In my experience, dollar store guns are cheap pieces of crap that are not realy worth buying. I'd just buy a nitefinder, they're only five bucks and are better than any dollor store gun.

Yes i know that there is the option of modding, yet is it worth it to buy a cheap one and mod or buy a nitefinder. Also i dont have much cash.

-Loni

Edited by loni, 02 February 2007 - 10:11 PM.

#5 Lance

Lance

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:20 PM

Yes i know that there is the option of modding, yet is it worth it to buy a cheap one and mod or buy a nitefinder. Also i dont have much cash.

-Loni

thanks for the help skitzo, what matters most is your modding experiance, in my opinion, if your a new modder you should get one just to help you get experiance to mod a nf. One thing you must watch out for is make sure you get one that is put together by screws because you its not worth prying it open if its not. What I suggest is getting one, you cant go wrong with a buck. As for a decent sidearm, these things arent to accurate.. but I really shouldnt be talking because I dont have the stock darts.

#6 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:25 PM

if your a new modder you should get one just to help you get experiance to mod a nf.

Screw that. My LS was my first mod, and it turned out fine. Anyway, There are mods for specific dollar store guns that can make them get up to 50'. Just find the right gun.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#7 Lance

Lance

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:38 PM

My LS was my first mod, and it turned out fine. [quote]

Well not all people can be good modders off the bat, my first mod was the NF which turned out okay.

#8 PennyWise

PennyWise

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 02:28 AM

Well, look at the ranges on the gun from the link that Skitzo posted... 35 feet. A nite finder can get around 70-80 feet. Don't you think it would be worth it to srounge up five dollars, buy a nitefinder, mod it, and have a kickass sidearm then spend god knows how long searching for a dollarstore gun that can match ranges like that (after mods)? And think about how many dollar guns you would have to go through to find the right one. If you think about it, buying a nitefinder would be cheaper and less work. What do you think?

#9 Lance

Lance

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:55 AM

Well, look at the ranges on the gun from the link that Skitzo posted... 35 feet. A nite finder can get around 70-80 feet. Don't you think it would be worth it to srounge up five dollars, buy a nitefinder, mod it, and have a kickass sidearm then spend god knows how long searching for a dollarstore gun that can match ranges like that (after mods)? And think about how many dollar guns you would have to go through to find the right one. If you think about it, buying a nitefinder would be cheaper and less work. What do you think?

Its hard to get a nitefinder to hit 80 feet, Ive been modding for quite a while now and mine gets around 60 feet. If you want to mod a nitefinder to get the kind of ranges your talking about then you need to drill out the air restrictors with a drill or dremel. Then add a new beefier spring, reinforce the plunger. Then add a new barrel, and possibly new o rings and bands. Doesn't that sound like a lot of work?

#10 loni

loni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:12 AM

Thanks alot to all of you who replied to this topic, I got alot of interesting points and views.

Edited by loni, 03 February 2007 - 10:12 AM.

#11 PennyWise

PennyWise

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:00 PM

First of all I said can get, not will get. Not everyone's mods are the same, I realize that. I know where you're coming from but think, you would have to do all those mods to the dollar gun anyway to make the gun worth having, but first find a dollar gun that can stand up to the pressure of a stronger spring, and i've never seen a dollar gun that uses ABS plastic or anything remotely as strong, much less one with screws. So it would be just as much work, if not more, aside from the fact that, like I said, you would have to spend god knows how long searching for a dollar gun that would be worth it, or take ten minutes and drive up to a walmart or where ever and pick up a nitefinder that you are already sure will make at least a decent sidearm. I think I've made my point.

Edited by PennyWise, 03 February 2007 - 12:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users