26 replies to this topic

#26 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • State:Connecticut

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:12 PM

There was a HUGE argument about the ethics of posting links to cheap Ebay guns way back in early 2004 [not here, but on one of the other forums I'm on]. In the end, we decided that exposing links was perfectly acceptable, as no one has any right to one auction over another. Ebay only understands one language, money. I'm not sure how most nerfers swing on this issue, but the fundamentals of the argument were drawn out over so many pages that it's not worth digging to re-hash them.

I search Ebay specifically for "hidden auctions" and the such, wherin for some reason, an auction goes unnoticed or gains little to no popularity. Dirt cheap prices are the name of the game, even during improbable times and with coveted items. Usually, the item I am looking for is listed under a different keyword, has a spelling error in the keyword, ends at an odd hour of the day, etc. Just because an auction has a ton of time left does NOT automatically mean that the price will rise. Those last minute bids are anything but a given. In this case, the linked xbow will probably go up, especially in the final 5 minutes. But there are always exceptions and they occur far more often than one would expect.

Let the Battle Begin! - WaterWar.net

MANL Record: 3-0 (2 wins on blue, 1 win on red)

USER IS TOO >>FAST>> TO BAN

#27 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:10 PM

There was a HUGE argument about the ethics of posting links to cheap Ebay guns way back in early 2004 [not here, but on one of the other forums I'm on]. In the end, we decided that exposing links was perfectly acceptable, as no one has any right to one auction over another. Ebay only understands one language, money. I'm not sure how most nerfers swing on this issue, but the fundamentals of the argument were drawn out over so many pages that it's not worth digging to re-hash them.

Well, my opinion is that if anyone has the gumption and motivation to take Nerfing seriously as a hobby, they would go on to eBay and search themselves for blasters that they may want (particularly discontinued ones).

We even have a great eBay filter that IronRhino put up awhile back, to simplify the search for "general" Nerf auctions, without the balls, Herder CDs, and 4x4 accessories with similar names.

I'd rather minimize the spoon-feeding of the newer members, and let them take on the task themselves. Just my two cows.

I search Ebay specifically for "hidden auctions" and the such, wherin for some reason, an auction goes unnoticed or gains little to no popularity....Just because an auction has a ton of time left does NOT automatically mean that the price will rise. Those last minute bids are anything but a given. In this case, the linked xbow will probably go up, especially in the final 5 minutes. But there are always exceptions and they occur far more often than one would expect.

Anyone who has been around online Nerf awhile knows that the eBay user Merideth-Nathan's, has been offering up NIB Crossbows for a couple years now. They were reasonably priced until NerfSpecialForces told her she could make more money off of us hobbyists so she jacked up her price to about 60 bucks a 'bow, where it's stood for most of the two years now. You occasionally see one up for bid, and the bidding frenzy is fun to watch, especially as it hovers around the $30 -40 range. I'm surprised that she still has more.

Yeah, if you want a 'bow, looks like you'll need about 60 smackers. Just like the SuperMaxx 5000s, if you can find them, and really want them, you'd shell out the dough.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users