Homemade Manta-ray Shell

Making a manta-ray shell

7 replies to this topic

#1 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:37 AM

Back when I played 40K one of the regulars at the L.A. Bunker used his own resin cast drop-pods (They were cast in one piece and were hollow). I was wondering if it would be possible to resin cast manta-ray shells. Seeing how they are in somewhat short supply being out of production and all... I was wondering if anyone knew how to do this. How expensive it is. If it will destroy my only manta-ray shell, And Finally the most important if Baghead* agrees that one of these would be "legal".

* In case you didn't know Bags is the Manta-ray expert and anything concerning them is subject to his discretion.

Also I view this as a Mod not a homemade so yeah...

Edited by Cthulhu, 15 December 2006 - 12:44 AM.

QUOTE(WratH @ Sep 5 2006, 02:45 PM) View Post

Whats with you idiots and all these ancient god names? Call it FuckingPecan or something.

Mmmmmm.... Pie

#2 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts
  • State:California
  • Mad Artisan Labs on Youtube

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:36 AM

* In case you didn't know Bags is the Manta-ray expert and anything concerning them is subject to his discretion.

Honestly, I'd suggest you do what I went through with Sicklefin, I first had to get the A-ok from the bulk of our fellow so-cal nerfers. I almost didn't get to war with my mighty beast, but CX gave a Go for Geddon, and if it's allowed at geddon, there's no way it's getting banned at anything else. I dunno about this just yet, If you can pull it off cleanly it would rock hardcore, but it also would probably lead to a whole new group of nerfers who will be trying to make manta ray body armor, which I once joked about doing, but seriously, where's the fun in shooting someone if you never actually hit them?

-Bags

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#3 Direct Threat

Direct Threat

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 02:12 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you just wanted to cast the top part of the Manta, you would be able to leave the gun intact and not deal any damage to it in the process. Theres several methods you could use to make the mold, but the easiest might be paint on latex, or rubber. It won't stick to the actual gun assuming you use the proper release agent, and it will pull all of the detail off. Only takes a few hours and a few coats to do, and is relatively inexpensive.

Hit me up if you have any further questions, I deal with a lot of mold making in the props business.

#4 alhava

alhava

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:20 PM

Props guy is probably a better resource, but...
My roommate makes custom action firgures, and he does a lot of molding and casting in resin.

and it isn't cheap.
He uses stuff called RTV Rubber. There is a type that casts at room temperature.

As for the plastic, he uses a 2 part formula, also cures at room temperature.

I don't have any links to sources, so if you want costs, you'll have to figure it out yourself.

but I can tell you that the manta is sort of large. it will take a lot of rubber, and if you need to get the inside too, that will be extra hard.

#5 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 03:22 AM

I just want to replicate the "sheild" portion. Also I want to know what any of the other SoCal nerfers think.

Bags- I am not trying to make body armour just a way to make the coolest part of a very awesome gun a bit less scarce. I forgot his name but I know he has been begging to strap a manta ray shell on a Mag Strike.
QUOTE(WratH @ Sep 5 2006, 02:45 PM) View Post

Whats with you idiots and all these ancient god names? Call it FuckingPecan or something.

Mmmmmm.... Pie

#6 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 02:00 PM

Ummm... Where was he planning on putting the Manta Ray on the Magstrike?

But if you do come up with an easy way to manufacture MantaRay shells that wouldn't cost more than like 20 bucks a pop, you could have yourself a nice little business. I know that I might be interested.
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#7 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 06:22 PM

t's an ongoing joke in my clan. It started when someone randomly picked up a manta at a war (November YANO 05, I think...anyway) and slipped it over the front of his Uruk-Hai crossbow. I told him that it would kick ass to have such a long-ranged gun with a built-in little "bunker" as it were...but I refused to let him glue my manta ray to his tree bow.

Ever since, people (without fail, at almost every war we have) just pick up manta rays and hold them next to/on their guns, imagining more and more rediculous places to mount manta ray shells on their guns to make themselves invincible. Of course, it will never happen. And if anyone tries to pull of manta ray body armor, they're toast.

As for casting manta ray shields in resin...

That's going to cost an assload for something that I don't think is really as worth it as one might think. If you do decide to cast the shells, and succeed, just make sure that it is an attached part of a working gun. No shells that don't work. If it isn't still a functional gun (don't necessarily have to shoot it; it just has to be able to) then it doesn't count as a shield in our wars. Bags pulled that one on one of my clan members when his manta was out of commission due to a ramming by the business end of an Airtech 4k. So naturally, I duct taped an SSPB to it and everybody went home happy.
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilývatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#8 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts
  • State:California
  • Mad Artisan Labs on Youtube

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:59 PM

t's an ongoing joke in my clan. It started when someone randomly picked up a manta at a war (November YANO 05, I think...anyway) and slipped it over the front of his Uruk-Hai crossbow. I told him that it would kick ass to have such a long-ranged gun with a built-in little "bunker" as it were...but I refused to let him glue my manta ray to his tree bow.

Ever since, people (without fail, at almost every war we have) just pick up manta rays and hold them next to/on their guns, imagining more and more rediculous places to mount manta ray shells on their guns to make themselves invincible. Of course, it will never happen. And if anyone tries to pull of manta ray body armor, they're toast.

As for casting manta ray shields in resin...

That's going to cost an assload for something that I don't think is really as worth it as one might think. If you do decide to cast the shells, and succeed, just make sure that it is an attached part of a working gun. No shells that don't work. If it isn't still a functional gun (don't necessarily have to shoot it; it just has to be able to) then it doesn't count as a shield in our wars. Bags pulled that one on one of my clan members when his manta was out of commission due to a ramming by the business end of an Airtech 4k. So naturally, I duct taped an SSPB to it and everybody went home happy.

^ that thing was still stock you mechiveious little bastard... oh well, that same manta eventually became sicklefin, so I guess I can't complain.

My biggest question is " Should We allow Homemade Manta Ray Shells?" I'm still up in the air on this one, but If Cthulhu wants to put that kind of effort into replicating once, I won't contest it, but I ask now, What you Y'all say if I produced one out of sheet plastic eh?

-Bags

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users