I'm Pissed

34 replies to this topic

#26 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:35 PM

Piney - I have immense respect for my mother, but I cannot stand living with her. I wish I could move out right now, but even though I could support myself, I know that it would be a dumb move.

#27 Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse

• Banned
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:34 PM

Piney - I have immense respect for my mother, but I cannot stand living with her. I wish I could move out right now, but even though I could support myself, I know that it would be a dumb move.

Rambo your mom is 100Million times better than both of my parents put together. At least your mom supports your nerf hobby. My mom thinks it is "Dangerous" Buit then again she has argued against my dad to let me do it. So since my last couple of posts my dad has sort of calmed down about me nerfing. He now understands why I nerf and now he doesnt seem against it. He actually asked me if it was ok for him to nerf with us at the next NJ war.

Yeah, so basically I talked my dad into letting me nerf and to want to nerf in the next war.

At first I did not take him seriously that he wanted to nerf but he said as long as someone lent him a gun he will.
QUOTE(Brass @ Jul 6 2007, 10:30 PM) View Post

QUOTE(keef @ Jul 6 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Yeah, I'm in the same case as Substance Abuse...
Brass, ask your mother.

She said your dad owes her three dollars.

#28 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:20 PM

The day you pack up, move out, find a place to live ON YOUR OWN (no "can I borrow" crap), and work, is the day you can tell Mom and Dad to piss off. Otherwise, we own you.

In many states that is quite literaly true: your parents legally own your body until you turn 18.

But anyways heres my lil' story: For awhile I had gone over to my friends house and we would have smallish wars but I never became truelly serious about nerf until after my parents said that I couldn't get an Airsoft Gun or play Airsoft (I still can't get a gun but I can play). My parents shpeel (well really just my mom's cuz my dad was ok with it initially but then he always goes with what my mom says) was that airsoft was too dangerous the guns were too powerful, and the guns look real. So I became a hardcore nerfer. SoOo one day my little brother (age 9 at the time) was going through my stuff (which I told him not to touch) and he found some of my nerf guns, he began messing around with my brassed BBB, He cocked it and apparently dropped it or something, the thing fired when it hit the ground and the stefan hit him in the back of the leg. The kid screams and runs to mumsy And with tears streaming down his face concocts an elaborate story of how I had shot him. My mom immidiatly takes off looking for me. She finds me outside sleeping in the sun (as I had been doing for about an hour or so)...( Oh how I love/ miss sleeping outside in the sun) I still got in trouble for leaving it out (since when was in a box under a bed considered being "out"?) She then wanted to take away all my nerfing stuff but I managed to worm my way out of that one(Im still not entirely sure how)

So yea on more than one occassion I have had my nerfing privileges threatend, but My parents wont take it away from me because they see it as an outlet for my energy, creativity, and sometimes anger.

Piney, I'm pretty sure that you would like my parents;they are very much into the whole strict but fair thing.

~e

Edited by elf_avec_gun, 10 October 2006 - 09:27 PM.

"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#29 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:35 PM

I have had those same discussions with airsoft guns, paintball, and Nerf as well. Hell, my computer itself has gone into the "Why do you spend so much time on the damned thing" with my grandfather while I am in the middle of a drafting excersice due for school.

But keeping it Nerf related, I actually had my mother tell the cashier of K-mart to not ring a magstrike up. I told my Mother that I have a job, I am making money, I have purchased a vehile, tires for it, gas for it, and a whole bunch of other things for it that you don't even know what they are...so if I want to spend my excess money on a Nerf gun, then let me do so and piss off. I was lucky to have driven my own vehicle to K-mart by meeting her there after work. She would have left me.

Dude, you are just going to have to prove to your parents what you have, and what you are going to keep that is besides Nerf.

I ended out battle by appologizing for ambarassing her in public (the cashier WAS my friend after all) and by showing her my porfolio from school and then me second portfolio of everything I have down and turned in from drafting class. She felt shameful afterwards from what she told me, but that I still need to respect her. Then it went into yeah, you know I always will....blah blah blah.

I don't get partents...why don't they just let something take its course and THEN help you out. I'm not saying yet you hold the 7 11 up on a friday night and then bail you out, I'm saying...well, like the other night at Rio Grande...I covered a chip in green hot sauce...not good. My mom drove me to the hospital for prescription strength stamache antacid (yes they make such a thing, and it worked). If not I would have had a sore in the lining of my stamache by morning as the doctor said.

So, why not let us shoot form darts at each other and modify these guns, if there is no serious injury from it?

As far as taking guns to school, there has been a series of gun and fight cases around my residence, but they were handled profesionally by administrative staff. Heck, some kid diddled a freshmen resently and threatened to blow her head off at school if she told...Police arrested him (I think) today. Yet on the other hand, I brought my newly modified Magstrike in to show my teacher how to mod his (34 years of age and HE mods nerf guns). The vise principle saw it laying in his office, picked it up, figured it out by the time I walking in the room, and was shooting darts to the black bourd at a target fromt he back of the class room. He got embarrassed when I walked in, but I countered that by asking if he liked my nerf gun. He laughed and said yes indeed. So later today, he calls me into his office. Me thinking he has to right me up for the Nerf gun, I start apologizing instantly for bringing it in...he practically ignored me as he asked is this the one I was shooting earlier as he was looking on the hasbro Nerf page. Pretty funny stuff. I pointed out the magstrike and the longshot to him and that they are the newest to the Nerf line of dartarms. He then asked me "How do you play with them? Do you shoot them at a wall like I was, or do you shoot at other people with them?" Since, I was in Gym at the time, I went on to how we played, explaining someone orders pizza, energy drinks and pop, and calls a bunch of people off to their house with their nerf guns and darts and they shoot at each other. He then asked how often I do it and I answered not as much now since my neighborhood didn't like darts stuck to their siding and windows.

In the long run, he granted me the freedom to host nerf wars on the school property. He gave me his phone number and told me to be safe and if anything should happen to call him. So I am planning to set up our paintball baracades on the matted gym area and have a war this weekend. We will make sleeping at school legal by calling it a lock-in and just play Nerf and Halo2 all night and day.

So anyways, back on topic.

Parents get a little over protective sometimes and it just annoys the shit out of me. This is what has (in my opinion) created the rebel childhood. They can live with it...it's not like our parents weren't getting buzzed off of cheap wine and racing hotrods when they were our age...that's more dangerous than shooting something powered by air at each other.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#30 InkJet

InkJet

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:26 AM

Yeah, i get pretty pissed off about that stuff too. Most of the time, my dad and i get along well with this hobby, i mean hell, after i paid him 200 bucks, he bought us a mill and a lathe. Today, he calls me and tells me he got about 100 bucks of sheet plastic, for us to mess with, this weekend we're building a GNS boltsniper pistol, he's very supportive.

But sometimes, he's extremely paranoid. Once i shot him with an unmodded scout, suction cup dart, he gets pissed off saying it could hit him in the eye (i shot him in the back B) ). Then we got into a massive argument about how safe/unsafe what i had just done was, and some other stuff. Luckily, this is one of the best arguments we've had. So i tell him ,"So it's bad to just throw a dart at you?", and throw a tagger at him. He does this insane laugh of his and picks up a corncob off his plate and pegs me in the chest. It hits me and i basically fall on the ground laughing, this being the most spontaneous thing he's ever done. Then, he comes over, and lifts my leg up, dumping my food down my pant leg, still laughing insanely. I'm still laughing my ass off, funniest thign ever, then he dumps my milk down the same leg, anyway, that was a good argument.

When i was into airsoft (still am, got about 500 bucks worth of gear, nobody cares about it anymore though B) ), he made me wear a paintball mask, because even wearing ski goggles, which i had tested for strength by shoothign point blank with most powerful gun i owned, and a balaclava (ski mask) wasn't enough. He was concerned about people shooting out my teeth, even though i'm wearing a 3/16" "wool sock" over my head.

But also, I'm into pyrotechnics, and he acts on false accusations about some mixes and similar. I can scientifically prove to him some things, but that's still not enough for him, that little bottle rocket will still blow my hand off and blind me for life. I get insanely frustrated with him when this happens.

But lastmanalive, what u said was a good point, some of the things our parents did were so much more dangerous than hobbies like this. My dad told me how when he was a child, they played cowboys and indians with bows and arrows, of course the arrows didn't have sharp tips, just a stick, with no safety glasses. Here we are shooting weighted foam at each other with safety glasses, and they still can complain about the safety.
Thanks for listening to my rants everyone.

#31 Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse

• Banned
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 04:07 PM

Wow. lastmanalive that summed up all my problems. Great advice but I got over my Arguement with my dad so everything is good now.
QUOTE(Brass @ Jul 6 2007, 10:30 PM) View Post

QUOTE(keef @ Jul 6 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Yeah, I'm in the same case as Substance Abuse...
Brass, ask your mother.

She said your dad owes her three dollars.

#32 mkg91 0

mkg91 0

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:01 PM

From my Amish post I apologize. I was thinking about it all day and wasn't thinking when I posted. Sorry if I offended anyone. :ph34r:
If quizes are quizicals then what are tests?

#33 AnyaSeijin

AnyaSeijin

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:32 PM

Actually. Most of us, 'Older Nerfers' have lives. I know Cx does his job is sweet, Shattered Dreams just went to college, Groove is...maybe still in college?, OMC works and once in awhile gets to have some Nerf fun, Falcon just left for college, Raway7 college bound too. In retro-spect your dad shoved his foot in his mouth. But, its ok. It happens because dads only want the best for us (mostly, believe it or not), just sometimes, the idea of 'best' is different between you and them. Normally they come around, just give'em some time, and some respect.

My dad alwas thought I was nuts for Nerfing, and would change his mind about it about as much as he changed pants. At one time, he was cool with the whole garage being taken up in Nerf. Next month, was another story. Sometimes he didn't always get why I did it. Specially after I got shot in the eye; but he wanted me to do things that would actually be useful he rest of my life. But ultimetly as with most math, I'm not gonna use it for the rest of my life. I'm not gonna dump millions of dollars into it at the sake of something else more important (Say a wife, a kid, a bike, a car, gas for my car, etc. The point is, I doubt your dad said those things because he was wanting to make life horrible, or wanted you to be just like him, or whatever. He just had a different idea of what was better for you.

After this being said. You all need to understand, to BE understanding to your parent's point of veiw, and not just shoot off your mouths about how mad they made you.

My dad still doesn't understand why I Nerf. Now I spend about 50$ a month in guns. He still doesn't quite get it, but he knows that its actually a healthy thing for me to do. It takes my mind off everything else in my life. So he doesn't care anymore. He might make fun of it once in awhile, but last time I shot him. He stopped.

#34 Backyard Nerfer

Backyard Nerfer

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:08 AM

My parents pretty much support my Nerfing. Just about an hour ago, I let my mom shoot my Titan, and she was clearly having fun with it. My dad also likes to shoot my Nerf guns, and he's a great shot. Hte only objection I get from my parents is "Do you have enough allowance money for that new gun?"
The only thing that gets me high is the truth... and model glue fumes. -Stephen Colbert

#35 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

The same thing happened to me, but a lot worse. (in my opinion)

I was hosting a Nerf war in southern michigan and all of a sudden they started saying that none of this could happen and I was too obsessed with Nerf, so they are not letting me buy any more guns. (sorry six-five-two) They are saying I an 'addicted to Nerf' and that is not good, for some reason. The war is now reduced to parent okayed guns and parent okayed people at my house. I cannot wait until I can do a Nerf war by my self... it will be the greatest.....

-KLM, a.k.a. TheVeg

It's okay. They are still for sale though... 2x AT3K's (PM me!)

Anyways, my mom thinks I have too many nerf guns, but compared to people like Orange, I hardly have any. I only have 14 nerf guns and trying to sell 3-4 of them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users