Magstrike 20

clip + clip = huge clip

121 replies to this topic

#101 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:08 PM

Amazing, Now imagine 2-20 round clips. Could you not cut away at the part of the shell where the stock pump used to be. It would give it more of a pistol/hammer look. I think it would look pretty sweet. Have you added barrels to your clips yet?
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#102 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:09 PM

Yes I could cut away more of the body shell than I have. I didn't want to remove too many of the screws though.

Longer barrels will come later when I try to make my own clips from scratch. It's not a huge priority though because I'm already getting 60-70 foot ranges.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 12 April 2007 - 01:16 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#103 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:59 PM

Okay, so I know this is off-topic (somewhat) which is precisely why I'm asking this here. I noticed that when I hae a nice tight fitting pump, it compresses alot of air, but creates a vaccuum behind the pump, so it does not want to pull back out. Does air escape around the O-ring when the pump is pulled out, the trapped in there and compressed? If so, it seems that a pump can be very finicky, and as I noticed this has happened to several people, it makes the tank all the more worthwhile. Why fix a shitty pump when you can have a nice purty bike pump and lots more air storage?
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#104 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:12 AM

Okay, so I know this is off-topic (somewhat) which is precisely why I'm asking this here. I noticed that when I hae a nice tight fitting pump, it compresses alot of air, but creates a vacuum behind the pump, so it does not want to pull back out. Does air escape around the O-ring when the pump is pulled out, the trapped in there and compressed? If so, it seems that a pump can be very finicky, and as I noticed this has happened to several people, it makes the tank all the more worthwhile. Why fix a shitty pump when you can have a nice purty bike pump and lots more air storage?

The stock pumps (unlike your typical bike pump) only have a single check valve rather than a double check valve.
So on the stock pump when the plunger is drawn back it's relying on minute leakage around the plunger head to fill the plunger chamber.

Bike pumps have a double check valve. When you draw the plunger out one check valve allows ambient air in. When you push the plunger down that check valve closes, and the second check valve allows the volume to be pushed through the line, but not escape.

The same fittings I used to hook these guns up to the external tank could be used to replace the stock pump. But once the body shell is trimmed to the point that a 20-round clip will fit there's really no ergonomically sound spot to mount a new pump (atleast in my opinion anyways). And in order to fire 20 shots you would have to cycle the stock pump atleast 35 times. Which is the main reason why I'm not keen on using a handheld pump.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 12 April 2007 - 01:20 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#105 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:14 AM

Does air escape around the O-ring when the pump is pulled out, the trapped in there and compressed?

This may help you out a little:
Posted Image
(original location)

EDIT: Sorry, that diagram got a little big.

As long as I'm editing...

The main hurdle to accomplishing this seems to be the task of relocating the pump to somewhere usable.

May I suggest on top of the gun (mounted on the railing), facing backwards? Seems logical to me. If you don't mind pumping forward.

Edited by Flaming Hilt, 12 April 2007 - 12:20 AM.

" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#106 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:16 AM

That would explain why I'm not getting any pressure when I pump it... Wow, thanks CS. Oh yeah, 1/4" barbed fittings as far as I know, did you use hose clamps at all, or do the barbed ends hold well to the tubing you used to connect the magstrike and tank?
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#107 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:50 AM

No the tubing dimensions are 4mm ID and supposedly 6mm OD. It works fine with the 1/4" instant tube fittings or 4mm barbed fittings. Instant tube fittings do not use clamps since they interact with the outside of the tubing and not the inside of the tubing.

With tube sizes this small clamps don't really matter when you're using barbed fittings. You can add small zip ties if you have problems with slippage, but otherwise you won't have any difficult maintaining a seal.

I highly recommend using Instant tube fittings because they're easier to disconnect and reconfigure. But for internal modifications on the tubing, barbed fittings will be much more space efficient.

If you do decide to externally mount the pump it would be best to use something other than the stock pump. It's not terribly efficient and doesn't have enough tubing on it for you to engage a fitting.

Is it possible to lose a nerf battle with TWO magstrikes?

You must "pwn" in battlin'.

Nothing will make you invincible. This does make a good psychological weapon though and people will tend to avoid me as much as possible when I'm using it. It's pretty difficult to dodge a volley of 10 or 20 darts.
I do have to do alot of sneaking, dodging, and running in order to get close enough to people to shoot them since I can only reach out 60 feet.

I would like to point out that the added weight of the 20-round clip does extend the ranges a bit since it forces the piston to work harder to cycle each round. The 20-round clip empties a little bit slower than the 10-round clip for this reason.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 12 April 2007 - 01:28 AM.

#108 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:28 PM

I will be working on a new iteration of this gun in the near future (once I have the parts I need).
I might have to start a new thread on it.

#109 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:38 PM

WOW, another invention from CS. I can't wait to read about this. Keep up the good work CS.
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#110 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:36 PM

Yeah this thing was sight to behold. I'm going to research making my own version of the backpack, to be able to hook it up to either a magstrike or an RF20

#111 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:03 PM

Yeah this thing was sight to behold. I'm going to research making my own version of the backpack, to be able to hook it up to either a magstrike or an RF20

I wrote a tutorial on making an external tanks a little while ago.
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=8234
Works with any pneumatic gun, but some are more efficient than others. A Titan will drain the tank in 10-12 shots.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 18 April 2007 - 03:04 PM.

#112 NeFerZ

NeFerZ

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:32 PM

Im very sorry for posting in a old topic, but could you please post a clear write up on how to build this?

#113 NerferKid

NerferKid

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:09 PM

would a triple clip be a good idea?or would it be too much weight to the gun,also causing it to fall and bust on the floor?... :D
...thing happens to mine sometimes, stick your finger in the barrel to make it air tight, then pump a couple times to re-close it... If that doesnt work then you have to open it up and pull the rod back.For me I have to pump 55 and I get a shot that can break through soft wood, consistantly.-rokor

#114 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:33 PM

A 30-round clip for make for an awkward and somewhat slow automatic cycle.

#115 NerferKid

NerferKid

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:22 PM

A 30-round clip for make for an awkward and somewhat slow automatic cycle.

thought so..oh well :)
...thing happens to mine sometimes, stick your finger in the barrel to make it air tight, then pump a couple times to re-close it... If that doesnt work then you have to open it up and pull the rod back.For me I have to pump 55 and I get a shot that can break through soft wood, consistantly.-rokor

#116 NerferKid

NerferKid

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:47 PM

i know this might be even stupider than my 3 clip suggestion *sorry* brace yourself.would a 25 shot clip be alright?<- ->or not worth it,since you'd sever a precious clip in half?... :)

#117 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:53 PM

i know this might be even stupider than my 3 clip suggestion

Then why post it? For the extra work this is not worth it. Two is the magic number for magazine combinations (I.e., the Longshot combined mag, the twenty-rounder for this Magstrike). Especially on a feed system like this, in which the gun uses a pneumatic system to lift the mag against gravity, it isn't a good idea to do anything that involves making the mag heavier (by much, anyways).
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#118 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:49 AM

20 is more than enough. Keep in mind that it's not very often in a war that I actually empty all 20 rounds. Having 20 rounds ready allows me to fire a burst of 5 or 10 darts at once. I can then refill those sections of the clip before returning the clip to it's starting position. If I don't have time to refill them I still have more darts ready to fire.

I never have to remove/replace the 20-round clip, and having the front of the clip exposed at all times allows me to refill it without having to take it out of the gun. If I do eventually get around to making a new clip from scratch, it too will have 20 barrels.
Once my new scientific regulator shows up I can hook this up directly to the paintball tank. When I first completed this gun I did the majority of the testing with it hooked up to a compressor.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 13 August 2007 - 11:26 AM.

#119 NerferKid

NerferKid

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:40 PM

im looking forward to that.:D

Edited by NerferKid, 12 August 2007 - 06:40 PM.

#120 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:04 PM

An experimental setup. This second attempt creaked too much, so I was tempted to name it "church pew".
Posted Image
I previously tried it with the tank attached where the bladder used to be and the weight balance was terrible.

To make it more durable I replaced the bulk of the mount with 3/4 SCH40 PVC.
Posted Image
This project is not yet over. My friend Kyle is going to start working at EA Games Online soon and is pestering me about doing some outlandish modifications for him since the office has large scale indoor Nerf wars pretty regularly.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 07 September 2008 - 10:45 PM.

#121 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:50 PM

Jeez... It should be church related.... It looks pretty divine to me! How much does the whole setup weigh, now? Do you find in more comfortable than wearing the tank remotely?
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#122 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:47 PM

Jeez... It should be church related.... It looks pretty divine to me! How much does the whole setup weigh, now? Do you find in more comfortable than wearing the tank remotely?

The backpack tank is more comfortable weight-wise, but in the summer when running around the backpack leads to profuse amounts of back sweat and slight chafing.

Total weight with tank attached is just shy of 6 pounds. So it's not unbearably heavy, but you need two hands to steady and aim it properly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users