Handle Bending

Why is it so weak?

4 replies to this topic

#1 navy seal

navy seal

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:03 PM

Why is the pump handle on the rf20 so weak? It feels like its going to break when I pump the gun up. What could I do to make it stronger? I was thinking of cutting the handle off before where the oring is and attaching a dowel or pice of pvc to it. I don't want to put a different pump on it.
Played in 110 countries
Bigger than rugby
Bigger than snowboarding
Bigger than surfing.......Paintball

#2 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

Why is the pump handle on the rf20 so weak? It feels like its going to break when I pump the gun up. What could I do to make it stronger? I was thinking of cutting the handle off before where the oring is and attaching a dowel or pice of pvc to it. I don't want to put a different pump on it.

I am sure you would be able to run a dowel or metal rod through the existing pump handles shaft.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#3 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:08 PM

I'd say using a piece of CPVC as a pump-shaft is a nifty idea. It wouldn't be too hard, and I'm pretty sure it would fit (Don't have an RF20 on-hand at the moment).

Personally, I'd say put a new pump in, but since you don't want to... I'd say cut the head of the pump off, and firmly attach it to a piece of CVPC. Then, you could nest the CPVC in some sanded out 1/2" PVC for a nice handle at the end.

All in all, the biggest problem would be getting the pump head to stay on the CVPC snugly. But if you know how to use epoxy correctly, it shouldn't be a problem. But if you don't know, here's a refresher:

Sand both pieces you plan to glue very well.

Score both pieces with a knife of some sort (X-Acto knife is fairly safe, and will work fine)

Wash both pieces with soap, and rinse very well.

Dry both pieces, and figure out exactly how you want them to fit together.

Mix your epoxy very well.

Apply your epoxy liberally, but carefully. That is to say, enough to cover the surfaces, but not so much as to be messy.

Hold your pieces together for ~5 minutes and wait for the epoxy to dry enough that it won't drip (This can take anywhere from 3 minutes to 1 hour, depending on brand, weather conditions, and location).

Put your pieces on a protected surface (On towels or rags or something), and let dry for 24 hours. Preferably with a weight on them, but in this case (A long CPVC shaft) you may find it ahrd to weight it.

That's about all there is to epoxying things correctly. Do it well, and the rest of the gun will break before that pump breaks. I'm pretty sure you know how to do things like this. Those steps were mostly for anyone else who wanted to do this that had never worked with something like this.

-Pat
QUOTE(euphemism) View Post
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

It gave the site a sort of 'homy' feeling.

Did you know that "m" can sometimes look like "rn" when read quickly?

#4 navy seal

navy seal

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:12 PM

I am sure you would be able to run a dowel or metal rod through the existing pump handles shaft.

That won't work because the pump is not hollow

pat: I'm going to use cpvc like you said but I have to sand the pump shaft a little bit to fit it in the cpvc. I'll post how it works when I'm done.
Played in 110 countries
Bigger than rugby
Bigger than snowboarding

#5 navy seal

navy seal

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:16 PM

I just finished it yesterday and it is so much stronger than the stock pump handle. I used 14 inches of cpvc for the new handle. I cut the old pump handle 3" from the end with the o-ring and sand 2" of that to fit in side the cpvc. Then I covered the whole part I sanded in epoxy and twisted it in the cpvc. Next I put some paper down on my work bench and set the end of the pump down on the paper and clamped it in my table vise so it kept pessure on the part I glued. When it was dry(24 hours later) I put it back in the gun and went to make a handle for the end of it. I couldn't sand the inside of 4" of pvc to fit so I used 4" of 3/4" cpvc. I wrapped the cpvc in duct tape in the middle of where the handle will go. Then I drilled a hole thought each end of the 4" of 3/4" cpvc and then put it on the new pump and drilled through that and put a bolt through each so the handle won't slide when I pump
Played in 110 countries
Bigger than rugby
Bigger than snowboarding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users