Photo

I Was Wondering.

14 replies to this topic

#1 LnLKing

LnLKing

• Banned
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:32 PM

I was wondering if a person leaves their springer gun left in the cocked position would it compress the spring to the point of which it can't be used anymore.
This is my rifle there are many like it but this one is mine. Without me my rifle is nothing without my rifle I am nothing.AMEN.
SEMPER FI BIATCH!

If you want peace, prepare for war.

"To All Who Enter, May All Hope Be Lost..."

#2 PiMpDaDdY

PiMpDaDdY

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:16 PM

It probably would but I would think that you would have to leave it compressed for like 1 year because I left my nf left cocked for like 6 months and the spring was a little shorter but not much.
NerfMonkey:
I only ask because I'm thinking of trying these and it would suck if the balls got all covered with hairs after a while.

#3 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:56 PM

I'd think the catch would blow before bad stuff to the spring would happen. Although why would you leave your springer cocked for so long?

#4 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:00 PM

Think about this for a second. If you keep it cocked for an extended period of time, the spring may be weakened. Of course, there are about a thousand variables you could pile on to the situation, but that's the gist of it.

Why do you ask, anyway? Just don't do it if it isn't necessary.

#5 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:04 PM

This is more apt to happen when you stretch the spring first. I notice that a spring gets weeker (in its quality) as soon as you stretch it. It takes the tempering out of the metal, thus its brittle and wont hold tension long. With it not having its tempering, it would lose some spring in it form its previous form if left primed.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#6 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:28 PM

I was wondering we could stop asking pointless questions. Seriously, its common sense. Don't leave your gun cocked for a long period of time.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#7 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:22 PM

I'm lucky my maxshot is still in one piece after such a fuckup, this brings it to mind. I guess it was cocked, somehow, and epoxy was set to dry on something on there. I go back to it, try to cock it, and notice it already is. Not good.

I try to fire it, no dice. I opened it up, and it fired then. Great. Everything was out of alignment. The whole catch mech was dislodged; I had to unscrew it and put it back into place.

It now works again, but damn was that scary.

TS

#8 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:03 AM

Team_Slaya brings up a good point about springers in general, minus the obvious ones like the NiteFinder and the TechTerget pistol (old version, not the scout)

For the most part, upon first appearance, you cannot tell if a MaxShot, FirstShot, TripleShot, SpeedLoader, or (perhaps) the Nerf Longshot and even Scout, Crossfire, and Maverick, is actually cocked or not. Air powered, forget it...unless it's an AirTech with a goo gauge, or a Titan, you cannot tell.

My son has a bad habit of leaving his MaxShot cocked. After playing and putting away weapons/ cleaning/ repairs, I always dry fire everything just to make sure nothing is in a position to cause premature wear and tear. I've made the mistake of putting my hand at the end of the barrel of the MaxShot...and found out that a micro stefan out of a 7 inch PETG barrel (first four inches buried in SCH40 PVC, hence I cannot see the dart inside)...hurts a lot.

It's probably a good idea to dryfire everything to make sure nothing is cocked.

Other users have shared that the power loss, while inevitable, is of a lot less severity as one would think by leaving weapons cocked for some time period. So I actually see some good advice and personal application shared here.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#9 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:07 AM

I actually had this happen to me. I had two Secret Shots and left one cocked in my toybox for like 2.5 years. That spring was toast. (I was like 5).
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#10 Edvin

Edvin

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:26 AM

Actually, springs do not get weakened from getting compressed. It's just impossible, because it..how do I say this--it pretty much limits how much it can compress. However, you can stretch out a spring too much if you have enough force.

Imagine it this way--does the damper on your car die after a few years of uses? Nope..not even with a couple of tons constantly pressing on it. So, no, you cannot ruin a spring by compressing it.

#11 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:49 AM

That uses a pneumatic piston, I think. Stretching a spring reduces the life of the spring and therefore the gun. Don't strech.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

-Baghead

#12 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:51 PM

Actually, springs do not get weakened from getting compressed. It's just impossible, because it..how do I say this--it pretty much limits how much it can compress. However, you can stretch out a spring too much if you have enough force.

Imagine it this way--does the damper on your car die after a few years of uses? Nope..not even with a couple of tons constantly pressing on it. So, no, you cannot ruin a spring by compressing it.

You're comparing springs that are wound from metal stock the size of your finger, compared with wire springs in toys.

Car dampers/ coil-over shocks/ MacPherson struts/ coil and leaf springs are DESIGNED to have a permanent load placed on them. They are tempered and heat-treated and all that mumbo-jumbo because they will hold up the load of a motor vehicle for the better part of their life.

On the other hand, wire springs in toy blasters are not generally meant to be left under heavy load for a fairly long time. They will see some loss of rebound strength, since they're made much more cheaply.

I understand you're trying to make a general point here, but the concern is whether or not it's wise to keep a spring powered Nerf blaster cocked. By personal experience, I've seen blasters lose some punch because it was left cocked a couple of days.

If you want to refute that, why don't you try leaving your Longshot cocked for a week, and then see if it loses power any. Then post a report.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#13 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:54 PM

Good one Piney, oh yeah happy birthday. I think I still have that spring, I'll see if I can get a pic. If you weld two wires to a vice and spin it out the spring should strech. Leave it like that for a day or two and it should be back to normal.
-Nerfer34

-Baghead

#14 Edvin

Edvin

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:54 PM

If you want to refute that, why don't you try leaving your Longshot cocked for a week, and then see if it loses power any. Then post a report.

-Piney-

It's been cocked since I bought it 2 weeks ago, unless I was on a Nerf War session (which mean it's cocked, because no one walks around with their guns uncocked) It is still cocked today, and will probably be forever. (Nerf War here isn't limited to certain place or time..dorm room raiding happen on normal basis.)
It still shoots the exact same distance (or if there is any change, unnoticeable.)

That's my gun anyway.

I guess 2 weeks is nothing compared to 2.5 years as someone has left them cocked in here, and I think my gun would probably die from various other reasons before that time. But if you want to be safe rather than sorry, you might as well shoot it out anyway. I wouldn't worry about it though.

#15 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:27 PM

Another thing that might happen to a nerf gun (springers suchas the scout, mav, Ls frontgun) if it is left cocked the lube is mor e prone to drying up.
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users