Another Terrorist Act

28 replies to this topic

#26 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 03:32 PM

I'm curious about the murder thing, since if I were to kill a man who had killed many or tried, I would view that as justice.

I don't know how people try to rationalize the killing of people who have done nothing. Like, do you get what I'm saying?

If I put an end to the life of a terrorist, I'd be doing justice for all those who had been killed by him. Do you get what I mean?

My act would be reactionary, their's is not.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#27 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 04:47 PM

I'm curious about the murder thing, since if I were to kill a man who had killed many or tried, I would view that as justice.

I don't know how people try to rationalize the killing of people who have done nothing. Like, do you get what I'm saying?

If I put an end to the life of a terrorist, I'd be doing justice for all those who had been killed by him. Do you get what I mean?

My act would be reactionary, their's is not.

I get what you're saying, and I'm not trying to say that bombing a bus is justified. I'm trying to say that there's no fundamental difference between you and the terrorist.

Everything you've said (especially what I've quoted) is from your point of view, in the context of your moral code. In the terrorist's mind, what he is doing is reactionary, for it is in response to the humiliation of his people by the west and the imminent threat to his religion and lifestyle. This may or may not be true, but it is how he sees the world.

I'm not saying that the two acts are equal, I'm saying that if you take away indoctrination, the two people who commit them are. The terrorist was not born a terrorist, he was taught to believe those things. Just like you weren't born with the moral code you now possess, your moral code was a product of upbringing and education.

If you were born at the same time and place as a terrorist, and lived the same life as a terrorist, you wouldn't be arguing about the value of human life, you'd be doing what your upbringing told you was the best course of action and blowing yourself up on a bus in Israel.

What I'm trying to say is that we are all born with an equal potential to save or take lives, and if we want people not to blow themselves up on a bus to prove a point, then we need to make sure they have access to a non-fundamentalist education or are at least given the opportunity to see the true form of Western society and question the fundamentalist messages themselves.

#28 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 02:02 PM

Yea, it'd be nice to see the region change it's heart but I don't know what we can really do about that. You have people being raised to think we're evil evil infidels. Those children will teach those whom they call their children the same thing. It's a cycle. I think the only way to stop it is for either America to be obliterated or for us to just up and leave the entire region.

Probably the best thing for the region would be if Al-Jazeera fell off the face of the planet, I'm pretty sure everyone is aware of the anti-American sentiment on that channel. Or for that matter anti-West. Anti-capitalist. Anti-democratic.

Think of it actually as the "anti-Freedom channel". Every glimpse I've caught of it, online mostly, all they've done is champion Saddam Hussein and his (DEAD) two sons.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#29 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 06:28 PM

Yep, I think it'll be tough to change the region. Especially because there's no shortage of organizations like Al-Jazeera that probably don't even remember why they hate the West yet broadcast the messages anyway. It would be tough to reach the youth of the region, and they are the only chance we have to replace the anti-American sentiment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users