Farthest Shot?

Does anyone know?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Sponge Nerfer

Sponge Nerfer

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:17 AM

I have been thinking about making a HUGE (like 20 feet tall huge) nerf gun that would break the record for the farthest a nerf bullet has ever been shot. The problem is I have no clue what the record for farthest nerf bullet shot is so if any of you know or have some information that could help me I would greatly apreciate it.
When in doubt, make a huge nerf cannon of death.

#2 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:43 AM

If you're going to do that, it might as well shoot potatoes. Or maybe look into Punkin' Chunkin'. remember, you are lauching foam here, it will only go so far and so fast before it just disintigrates.

Or perhaps the best idea yet, go outside and shoot someone with a nite finder.
I hate you.

#3 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:52 AM

I'm going to be honest; don't waste your time making one. Besides, with how much the wind affects nerf darts, you're never going to get an accurate measurement from yourself or other people anyways.

I mean, I could throw a stefan with a GPS chip into the next hurricane that hits the US and claim my arm can throw a stefan 50 miles.

It's a neat idea, but I strongly suggest not bothering with it. Besides, there's a physical limit to how far a stefan can travel. Not quite sure what it is though, ask one of the engineering or physics majors here.

~ompa

#4 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:32 AM

Not to be a wiseass ompa, but a tornado would work alot better. I have to laugh at the GPS idea. That would be the most expensive stefan ever made. It also may become recorded as the first death by Nerf if it were to hit someone.

As for sponge's 20-foot barrel idea, if won't make any difference. A longer barrel will not make the dart travel farther. Unless you have a massive tank or plunger behind it to force the dart out, the mechanics, from what I understand, of any Nerf air delivery system, will not produce enough air output to get any long distances from such a long barrel.

Using real guns as an example, turrets of tanks that have longer barrels also use more gunpowder to propel the shells. If they were to use the same amount of charge for a 8-foot barrel that they would use in a 6-foot barrel, the ranges would actually be less.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#5 Sponge Nerfer

Sponge Nerfer

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:19 AM

As far as Ompa and Onemanclan go this is still just a theory that I have thought about alot and I am no-where near having enough materials to make this wepon just yet but I am hoping that soon this might come together. Badger, you are absolutly correct without a HUGE tank behind this thing a twenty foot barrel would be stupid and pointless and that is why I am probably going to have a HUGE tank. The gun will be composed of something like 5-6 air sealed 10ft long pieces of four inch pvc (this will be the tank) all atached around another 10ft piece of pvc. The sealed pieces will all be connected using small pvc to create one very large tank instead of many smaller ones. Than i will run some 1/2" pvc down the 4" pvc in the middle, this will be the barrel. Then I will connect the half inch pvc to the main tank using a valve (modified sprinkler probably) so that when pressure is put into the tank and the valve is opened whatever is inside the barrel is sent flying. So now I only have a ten foot barrel because I am only using ten feet of pvc so I will add a coupler to the barrel and another ten foot section I will stabalize this by also adding a coupler to the 4" pvc surounding the pipe and adding another ten foot section to that and securing the 1/2" pvc at the top of the 4" pvc creating a stable 20ft tall barrel. All of this was probably very hard to follow because I am terrible at explaining things, I have tried to post a picture but could not figure out how to do it, if you dont understand my idea please tell me how to post a picture and I will clear it up for you.

#6 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:37 AM

Or perhaps the best idea yet, go outside and shoot someone with a nite finder.

That has to be the most intelligent statement in this topic.

Not quite sure what it is though, ask one of the engineering or physics majors here.

I wish I could tell you the limit, but I'm not pursuing an aeronautical engineering degree. There is a limit to a stefan's distance, but even if someone found it their Nerf gun still couldn't be used in any major war. It's an academic pursuit at best.

*snip*

All of this was probably very hard to follow because I am terrible at explaining things, I have tried to post a picture but could not figure out how to do it, if you dont understand my idea please tell me how to post a picture and I will clear it up for you.

If your idea does work, make sure you test it in a wide open field. Oh, and good luck finding the dart.

As far as pictures go, YOU are responsible for searching the forum when you have a question. A simple search would have produced this link about posting pictures.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#7 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • State:Washington

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:41 AM

Ask GeneralPrimevil about his "Le Bloody Massive Cannon." It can hit at least 200 feet; I've seen it with my own eyeyes. Of course, that was with a metal object (can't remember what it was at the moment), not a nerf dart.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#8 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:26 PM

Yes yes, I know that a tornado has higher windspeed... But I figured that since a hurricane is "taller", and seems to last longer on land than a tornado, the effect would be the dart getting lifted higher and moved further. Of course, I may be wrong.

If you still are interested in building the cannon, I'll just say this; make the barrel removable, so that at least you can put a larger diameter barrel so you can fire more than just nerf darts. That way, when you get out of nerf, you can at least use the cannon to do other things.

~ompa

#9 Sponge Nerfer

Sponge Nerfer

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:57 PM

O.K. first and foremost, Shindig thank you for clearing the picture issue for me you are absolutly correct I should have searched it just kind of blew my mind.

Second, Flaming Hilt I have seen Le Bloody Massive Cannon on this site but the nerf gun I am planning will be much, MUCH larger than that.

Finally, Ompa that is probably a good idea because if I actually make this thing it will be cool to be able to shoot other things other than nerf darts out of it. As far as throwing bullets into a tornado I think it would be tough to get close enough to a tornado to throw the dart into it you may have to fire the tornado with some kind of gun to get it to work. (I asume you are kidding about acually throwing a bullet into a tornado and that the whole thing is kind of a joke, I am just saying this to keep the joke going, unless you are serious about doing that than kudos to you and good luck!)

-sponge

Edited by Sponge_Nerfer, 30 June 2006 - 05:01 PM.

#10 m15399

m15399

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 12:03 AM

Dr. Nerf's homemade hit 250... Go for 300 just to be safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users