Photo

Help: Sm1500 Pressure

12 replies to this topic

#1 Gman

Gman

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 03:23 PM

Hi im wondering how to increase the range on my sm1500...

i have changed the barrels but i was wondering if anyone could help me by showing me how to block off that pressure release valve... could anyone help me with some good screenshots or a video? im kinda confused about how to do it.
also are there any other ways to mod that gun?

thanks in advance!
*Piney is a sig nazi*

#2 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 04:50 PM

I like SM1500s too...had a bunch of them, new versions.

If you're referring to the 1500 in the pictures of your modded blasters, your problem is those crayola marker barrels. While they work, they are marginally effective as a barrel mod on an air powered blaster like a 1500.

The solution lies largely in your decision on what kind of darts you want to primarily use. It appears your dart of choice are stock micros, so my recommendation (from experience) would be 1/2" SCH 40 PVC pipe, available at Home Depot, ACE, or just about any hardware store that stocks irrigation supplies. When shopping for PVC, try to find the glossy white PVC...sometimes you'd get dull, yellow PVC, which does work fine, but the extra smooth finish in the glossy white stuff, that makes your barrel work so much easier.

You can either bond the barrels to the turret (after removing the air restrictions...I'm not sure if you did already or just shoved marker barrels into the existing turret), or remove the turret and stick a single barrel to the air output, right at the valve. I did those with my first six 1500s, and they all shot well over 100 feet flat with yellow and purple micro darts. Including an awesome shot by my supervisor's daughter, who shot at me from over 100 feet away, and stuck that dart right on my glasses! (I am a staunch supporter of eye protection when Nerfing).

Ideal barrel length was about 6-7 inches. Hope that helps some.

I have an old-version SM1500 that I just won on eBay. I'll be turret modding it, and posting the write up.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#3 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 05:25 PM

The most effective thing to do to an airgun is use petg. However, if you have no petg, try brass, 9/16 or 17/32.
Off-topic: Old style 1500s are so very awesome.
Nobody online Nerfs in the SE :(

#4 Gman

Gman

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:25 PM

see i cant find petg anywhere and i couldnt find brass in the local hardware store... so i baut some 1/2" copper a few weeks ago... when i used that copper for my tactical nightfinder it actually significantly decreased the range... the bullets dont really fit a good snug fit in the barrel... 1/2" seems too big and might be a problem

im gonna go to home depot and find some pvc and brass but how should the bullets fit inside? should it be a almost airtight fit or like a loose fit where if u turn the barrel upside down the bullet falls out...

and how did u get 100ft out of that 1500? just barrel mod? was it single barrel or the 4 barrel system? i really wanna make it 4 barreled

how do i block up air restrictors tho?
*Piney is a sig nazi*

#5 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts
  • State:Illinois

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:20 PM

see i cant find petg anywhere and i couldnt find brass in the local hardware store... so i baut some 1/2" copper a few weeks ago... when i used that copper for my tactical nightfinder it actually significantly decreased the range... the bullets dont really fit a good snug fit in the barrel... 1/2" seems too big and might be a problem

im gonna go to home depot and find some pvc and brass but how should the bullets fit inside? should it be a almost airtight fit or like a loose fit where if u turn the barrel upside down the bullet falls out...

and how did u get 100ft out of that 1500? just barrel mod? was it single barrel or the 4 barrel system? i really wanna make it 4 barreled

First off, McMaster-Carr has PETG. Go to mcmaster-carr.com and search petg tubing. It will show up. Pick 1/2" ID if you are using micros.

Second, if copper is not fitting your barrels then don't use it. It is that simple.

Next, a good seal for your darts should fit snuggly. It should be airtight or the dart won't come out. Use CPVC. That will be your best bet. The darts should not fall out of the barrel if you put it upside down.

Getting a 100' with a 1500 you must plug the pump and have a good barrel mod. I think that might be with 4 barrels but I am not sure.

And lastly, there are not air restrictors in the 1500.

#6 Gman

Gman

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:02 AM

thanks, how do i plug the pump tho?
*Piney is a sig nazi*

#7 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:20 AM

thanks, how do i plug the pump tho?

You take the pump and you know the little hole at the bottom of it, at the other side of the handle? Fill it with hotglue.

#8 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:30 PM

If you are using stock darts, I have a little suggestion for you:

It's only using Crayola Barrels in PVC, but one of my clan memebrs has a 1500 still set up just like this and it's still killer. He's getting nearly 100' out of it all the time, and it will work great with stefans or stock darts.

Posted Image

Take apart your turret and take off the stock barrels. Hot glue a crayola barrel in place of each, and then screw the black part of the turret back on.

Posted Image

Now, slide an ~8" long piece of 1/2" Sch 40 PVC over each of the crayola barrels. It'll fit perfectly into the back part of the turret, and you can squeeze a little glue in there too.

Posted Image

Plug your pump and you're set to go.

Posted Image
Sorry I didn't have a completed pic of it...this is as good as it gets. That's ACE, the Knight who uses it holding it at WorldConquest 2 last month.

And it that's not the version of the SM 1500 that you have, don't worry. It will work the same for either. Just ignore what the gun looks like, and do the mod to the turret and the plunger.
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilývatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#9 SG Pilot

SG Pilot

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:11 PM

First off, McMaster-Carr has PETG. Go to mcmaster-carr.com and search petg tubing. It will show up. Pick 1/2" ID if you are using micros.

Second, if copper is not fitting your barrels then don't use it. It is that simple.

Next, a good seal for your darts should fit snuggly. It should be airtight or the dart won't come out. Use CPVC. That will be your best bet. The darts should not fall out of the barrel if you put it upside down.

Getting a 100' with a 1500 you must plug the pump and have a good barrel mod. I think that might be with 4 barrels but I am not sure.

And lastly, there are not air restrictors in the 1500.

I'm still kinda n00by with the barrel stuff, but for air pressure guns, because they release air fast, don't you want a loosely fitting dart in the barrel?

Edited by SG Pilot, 20 June 2006 - 04:12 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Oct 9 2009, 04:45 AM) View Post

I know, I HATE toy guns that are made for little kids!

#10 Gman

Gman

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:37 PM

allright i plugged the pump and now it shoots about 55 with 3 pumps or in the 65 range with 5-8 pumps

im still alittle confused with barrels, what is the point of putting the crayola barrels in the pvc?
*Piney is a sig nazi*

#11 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:50 AM

Do not go over 4 pumps. Not a good Idea at all. The point of crayola in the pvc, is because pvc is for megas, you need to nest something in it that fits micros.

#12 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:31 PM

No, sirtofu, you are wrong. The point of nesting crayolas in PVC is that the head of the stock dart(rubber part) fits in the pvc, and since the body has a smaller diameter need something to fit the body(foam part) of the dart. So when you load your gun, push the dart in far enough that the entire body is inside the crayola.
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#13 Gman

Gman

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:07 AM

i made a very small barrel attachment that i can easily slide into one of my barrels and it shoots airsoft bullets about 100 feet... its pretty cool .. if i need to shoot little stinger bullets or something haha
*Piney is a sig nazi*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users