7 replies to this topic

#1 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:06 PM

When I was doing a restrictor removal on my Mav a few days ago, I got to looking at the plunger. It seems that part of the problem with this plunger (apart from being tiny) is that it's built to be inefficient. There are two flat spots on the plunger head which keep from pressing the O-ring as tightly as the rest of the plunger. So, I shimmed the O-ring with a small part of a carpentry staple on both sides, and got an extra 5 feet of range. Not bad, considering it has rather lackluster range in the first place.

No pics right now (not like they're really needed) but I'll try and get some up later on.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#2 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:24 PM

awesome. I actually happen to be a big fan of the Maverick REV-6 and there's another mod, that says to dremel out the barrels and fit CPVC into each one and it should get like 30'-60'. Very nice mod either way!

~Shadow~
I'm just concerned that NH could be held liable when Ted inevitably ties this kid up and sticks him in his trunk for safe keeping. Seriously, Parkway, you might want to think about carrying a tazer.

#3 Master Yogurt

Master Yogurt

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:52 PM

Personally, I'm not big on the PVC Mav barrel replacement. The Mav has some excellent barrels to begin with. Honestly, one of the most effective mods I've seen is to simply hammer out the pegs through the air holes in the back of the barrel, leaving the restrictors in. That cuts down on space and increases pressure while allowing for an excellent air flow. Combined with your plunger change, that should be quite effective. The hammer mod gets a better range than opening the gun and removing the restrictors entirely.
Come to PANO!

You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back. The Trooper

#4 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:15 AM

Im not really sold on Mav barrel replacement, either, mostly because the barrels on my Mav fit my darts rather nicely. Anything tighter would only cause more air loss due to the poor seal.

I was thinking about the plunger, and Im realizing just how inefficient it really is. The Mav plunger is odd because the outer shell moves over the plunger head , instead of the other way around. The problem with this configuration is the huge amount of dead space in the plunger at the end of the stroke. Its equal to the compressed volume! Not only is the plunger tiny, but its got to compress a volume equal to its own volume before air even gets out of the plunger.

Perhaps another improvement to the plunger would be to use a straw or vinyl tubing to connect the plunger opening with the o-ring end, and then fill in the empty space with some Great Stuff foam.

I cant try that mod right now, but I thought Id toss the idea out there. Hopefully I can try it next week

#5 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:14 PM

just a warning the metal bar piece that cocks the gun...make sure it stays in, cause if it doesn't its a pain in the ass to put it back in alternatively.
I'm just concerned that NH could be held liable when Ted inevitably ties this kid up and sticks him in his trunk for safe keeping. Seriously, Parkway, you might want to think about carrying a tazer.

#6 Lukeinator

Lukeinator

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:58 PM

Perhaps another improvement to the plunger would be to use a straw or vinyl tubing to connect the plunger opening with the o-ring end, and then fill in the empty space with some Great Stuff foam.

I cant try that mod right now, but I thought Id toss the idea out there. Hopefully I can try it next week

Did you mean this?
Ride it like it's stolen.

#7 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 06:17 PM

Did you mean this?

Yup, just like that. I remembered the foam that was used for the barrels, but forgot about the foam used in the plunger for that mod. Thanks.

#8 SG Pilot

SG Pilot

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:34 PM

Why was that great mod never added to the mod directory? It
's clever and it sure deserves to be!
QUOTE(VACC @ Oct 9 2009, 04:45 AM) View Post

I know, I HATE toy guns that are made for little kids!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users