Crossfinder

Smallest possible NF

41 replies to this topic

#1 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:16 PM

I had an old crossfire around that was collecting dust so I put it to good use. I give you the Crossfinder!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And vid to come!
When beauty breaks the spell of pain
The bludgeoned heart shall burst in vain
But not when love be pointed king
And truth shall Thee forever reign

#2 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:19 PM

I like this so much, that I think I may go out and BUY a crossfire and NF just to do that. It reminds me of an LnL.

As usual, very nicely done!

~ompa

#3 Anothernoob

Anothernoob

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:29 PM

I'm so gona build me one. I'll use brass. My FBR won't fit in CPVC. Any roadblocks/annoyances I should be warned about before trying this?

#4 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:35 PM

I had an old crossfire around.....

OLD Crossfire?!

:P

Good one.

Nevertheless, I'm stoked. That's really purty.

You're throwing my schedule off...I want to make one too!

Very nice indeed.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#5 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:38 PM

Is there any chance you could still fit the old cocking slide over it, with a hole cut in the back for the plunger rod to fit through (but not the pull-ring)? That way you could still slide-cock it, which would be even more LNLish.

I almost forgot to add how cool this is.

Edited by davidbowie, 01 May 2006 - 10:39 PM.

Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#6 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:48 PM

Hehe. Thanks. I will warn you that this may be even tougher than making a Nitemav. It has even more custom cutting and fitting.

Here's the vid: Crossfinder firing

#7 rotoryfan

rotoryfan

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:57 PM

hm... without losing range, I doubt that you could keep the stock cocking method. the NF cocking method is better anyway.

I think that a TTG plunger assembly might work even better, because it is narrower and would be easier to fit into the case. I think that the only hard part could be getting the trigger mechanism to work, as seen in the nitemav. it could be done though.
That integration is really smooth and almost flawless. thats pretty ill. I don't know if your into painting you guns, but it would look a lot better if you painted it with one or two tones, that plain old CPVC is just asking for color... any color...

really great job. there's not much else for me to say. thats just plain awsome.

*edit* thats a little scary on the performance side... how did you modify the NF plunger assembly?

Edited by rotoryfan, 01 May 2006 - 11:00 PM.

razorbeast,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended.  Your account will not be functional until Jun 23 2033, 10:41 AM (depending on your timezone). This is an automated process and you do not need to do anything to expediate the unsuspension process.

Awsome.

#8 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:45 PM

hm... without losing range, I doubt that you could keep the stock cocking method. the NF cocking method is better anyway.

This would just be using a slide to push back the plunger rod on the NF. No added friction, no added dead weight. You could even cock it like a NF if you wanted. But, since it's not my gun, It's really not my decision.

The video is pretty cool. I really want one of these, but I've only got one CF and NF, both saved for other things.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#9 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:25 AM

I've thought about keeping the top cocking cover on the Nitemav and then with this Crossfinder, but I don't see it as an advantage. Getting the cover to act like it used to would be hard because the cylinder now takes the place of where the retract spring was. It might look a bit better, but I don't see a logical way to make it work.

Actually, I think some paint will come next. I like the blue Crossfire better, and I have one, but this was an experiment to see if I could actually make it work. Also, unless you really need a smaller gun, a lugered NF will work nicely for you. This is just a bit smaller than an NF and I don't know if it is actually worth it, as opposed to an NF with 6 shots.

All of my NF plunger heads have 3 different sized o-rings on them. The stock one sits on the two smaller ones, making it stay in one place and elevating it a bit. This gives me a perfect seal with very little friction. Keep in mind that I said I use 3 o-rings, but only one is coming in contact with the cylinder. Also the key to my NF success is the powerful springs I found. They fit absolutely perfectly inside the NF cylinder and pack a punch. As you can see in the video, I have to grasp the gun in a wierd position to be able to cock it. This is because the spring is so powerful and the Crossfinder is so small. Also, you need to make sure there aren't any leaks in the joints of the cylinder where it connects to the barrel. Each time I make a barrel assembly and connect it to the cylinder, I make sure to loctite everything first, and then plug it with a thin layer of hot glue.

So to recap, get a good seal on the plunger head without damaging the friction, lube it well, find a stronger spring, and I don't just mean using one from an old NF, and seal all of the places where air could escape. Do that and you will approach 100' unbanded. I hope this helps some of you. I have 9 NFs to date and I know them like the back of my hand. Good luck with your NFs!

#10 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:49 AM

Nice Work. I'm still working on my Nite-Mav.... been busy finishing my new LBB asshole.

What kind of problems did you run into when trying to get the plunger catch to work? Did it catch without alot of extra work?

I'm definitely going to get another NF and CF and make one of these when I'm done with the four other projects I'm working on.

[EDIT] Paint it like this. :D

Edited by AssassinNF, 02 May 2006 - 12:42 PM.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#11 Chessler

Chessler

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:36 PM

Really nice Integration, what an incredible idea! Looks like a reincarnation of the Lock 'N' Load.

Edited by Chessler, 02 May 2006 - 12:36 PM.

#12 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:26 PM

The plunger catch has been very nice to me. I didn't do much at all to make the Nitemav catch to work properly, but this has been a bit tougher. I used scrap pieces of plastic, believe me you'll have plenty, to make rails for the catch this time. If someone would like internal pics, I'll gladly take them.

As to a paintjob, I may go red, black, and white, or just black and white. I like classy guns, but red really turns heads also. I'll keep you all posted!

#13 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:54 PM

Very nice. If I wre you I'd spend a few extra bucks and get some brass or PETG. BEcause when I was watching your video, you were TWISTING the dart to fit in your barrel. Twisting decreases the range and it took you a while to shoot once.

AWESOME mod/intergration!
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#14 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 02:26 PM

Very nice. If I wre you I'd spend a few extra bucks and get some brass or PETG. BEcause when I was watching your video, you were TWISTING the dart to fit in your barrel. Twisting decreases the range and it took you a while to shoot once.

AWESOME mod/intergration!

Yeah, I have brass but cpvc bonds better to plastic. They are virtually the same diameter, it's just I'd rather put my brass into more important projects.

Normally I'd agree with you on how the darts fit. For most weak springers you would want a less-tight fit than that. For air guns and powerful springers, you want a tight dart fit. It seems that I lost range when using FBR that fit well for weak guns. The air comes out of this gun extremely fast and tighter darts are needed.

Posted Image

Just a quick mock paintjob that I like the looks of...

Edited by Carrtoon, 02 May 2006 - 02:32 PM.

#15 Anothernoob

Anothernoob

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:00 PM

Did it shoot some kind of ring? What is that thing!?

#16 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:45 PM

Did it shoot some kind of ring? What is that thing!?

It's a stock dart made into a stefan.

I almost forgot. For those who hate MOV.

Crossfinder

#17 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:19 PM

If someone would like internal pics, I'll gladly take them.

Internal pics would be greatly appreciated. :D

[EDIT] Forgot to add that I like the mock paint job. Looks cool.

Edited by AssassinNF, 02 May 2006 - 06:37 PM.

#18 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:48 PM

Theres no need for internal pics. It's just a NF in a CrossFire shell.

It really does remind me of a LnL also.

#19 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:58 PM

I need the pics to see how he got the plunger to catch, it's alot more complicated than you think to make guns like this.

#20 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:08 PM

NinjZ's been Nerfing for years, I think he knows what he's talking about. It's not that hard to do a catch with something like this; add an extention to the trigger to engage the NF catch and fire the gun. If you can't figure that out through common sense maybe it would be wise not to attempt it.
SexD Warves

#21 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:36 PM

We're both talking about two different things. Your talking about engaging the catch after the plunger is already catched, which is common sense and only requires a little trigger modification, but what I'm saying is you usually have to rebuild the inside of the gun to get the plunger catch to catch in the first place. Carrtoon got his Nite-Mav catch to work very well, and I want to know how he did this one.

NinjZ's been Nerfing for years, I think he knows what he's talking about

And I wasn't questioning NinjZ's knowledge, I was just explaining why I wanted to see the internals. Sorry if it sounded a bit smartass. :D

#22 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:02 PM

Here are the internal pics. The trigger mechanism was made with a cut up cassette tape. It was then Loctited to teh trigger. The catch should have some guards to keep it in place like the ones in the pics. As you can see, there are guides on both sides of the shells:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And down the barrel:

Posted Image

The pvc that joins the cylinder to the barrel was just used because I didn't have all of the parts from my NFs. I had to improvise so just look at the Nitemav if you are confused...

Edited by Carrtoon, 02 May 2006 - 10:04 PM.

#23 Anothernoob

Anothernoob

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:16 PM

But it's a RING... Nerf darts are straight peices of foam. Straight. How did you make a ring, much less shoot it from a CPVC barrel?

#24 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:27 PM

But it's a RING... Nerf darts are straight peices of foam. Straight. How did you make a ring, much less shoot it from a CPVC barrel?

Your name rings true when you cannot clearly see that is a asshole dart. The dart punched through cardboard and got stuck at the very end, leaving only the last 1/4" or so still visible. If you still dont understand, I'd suggest taking a look at the back of any stock dart and see what it looks like.

These are asshole darts.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 03 May 2006 - 12:32 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#25 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:54 PM

So there was no major rebuilding required? It looks like the gun fit together very easily.

Thanks for the pics :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users