Photo

A Nerf Silencer!

6 replies to this topic

#1 Spartan064

Spartan064

• Banned
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:10 PM

Srry t burst your bubble but I havenot created one. I'm willing, but I need your help first.

the following is my response to a quote from an old post.

I modded my nitefinder so that the air restrictors are removed, but it was louder.
Does this mod make the maverick louder?

Actually it is louder because before, w/ 'stricts, the air didnt pass through at all if a dart wasnt loaded. It just made a soft --poom-- noise . Now its more of a --chak-- sound.

Ive been thinking about putting bits of thin sticky felt at point of contact but am nort sure what it would do.

give me feedback plz!
"Giggity!" - Quagmire

#2 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:44 PM

Srry t burst your bubble but I havenot created one. I'm willing, but I need your help first.

the following is my response to a quote from an old post.

I modded my nitefinder so that the air restrictors are removed, but it was louder.
Does this mod make the maverick louder?

Actually it is louder because before, w/ 'stricts, the air didnt pass through at all if a dart wasnt loaded. It just made a soft --poom-- noise . Now its more of a --chak-- sound.

Ive been thinking about putting bits of thin sticky felt at point of contact but am nort sure what it would do.

give me feedback plz!

I made this silencer for my singled at3k. It takes a loud sound and makes it a lower pitch, therefore somewhat silencing the gun. Keep in mind that this will only be effective for the pump air guns...

Posted Image

Posted Image

The holes are drilled at an angle and encased in an MDX bottle. Good luck with your silencer!
When beauty breaks the spell of pain
The bludgeoned heart shall burst in vain
But not when love be pointed king
And truth shall Thee forever reign

#3 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Location:West Michigan, in a basement, chained to a wall, with nothing but a puter and a NiteFinder to keep me busy.

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:06 PM

I'm not really sure what you realy said there Spartan, but that is just due to a simple need of maybe rewording on your part, or me not reading this when the only thing keeping me awake is what used to be in that MDX bottle of Carrtoon...

I have made many, many silencers for pressurized air Nerf blasters, air rifles, the like, and have found that my nice, more legal than most (except Carrtoon's, which seems to me to be very legal, albeit it probably not too terribly effective) and have decided that what you really need to think about for making somethign quiet is barrle volume, air velocity, dart velocity, dart-barrel fit, dart-barrel seal (almost the same as the one before it), muzzle shape/design/what-have-you, suppressor length, suppressor diameter, core hole sizing, core hole spacing, air pressure, air volume, and a few other variable I missed in there. There really is no easy way for me to tell you what would mathematically work well, as I have yet to give those variables numeric definitions to make equatiosn and the whatnot. Perhaps someone with more time/energy/money would like to do so...

Anyway, my SOBR has one of the most effective silencers I have made, and seen/heard personally, due to a multi-chamber, multi-baffel system and a whole lot of other paraphanalia I wish was ingenuity. There's some pics somewhere...try looking through the 50+ pics of my Nerf sub-album on PhotoBucket. I highly recommend them. I have uploaded over 350 pics and have yet to run into a problem. Sometimes it will take the same file as well, the same file, even if I ahve changed something on it, but, well, yeah...there's a guide on this (NerfHaven) site which has my technique for drilling holes. They may not be fancy like Carrtoon's, but, well, I only need that for higher-velocity pneumatics...
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#4 davenelz

davenelz

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • State:Florida

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:27 PM

carrtoon, very creative.
the sound has nowhere to go, very creative, i like it.

#5 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:40 PM

Spartan, you have the right idea with the felt, just use foam. It'll be more effective. Thats only on spring guns, however. Search for Renegade's (?) silencer for air guns, or use Carrtoon's.

TS

#6 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:39 PM

I believe the silencer in nerf is very unpractical ... When you make a silencer do not expect to hear what you heard in the james bond games... Im sure there are other people on this site besides me that know how the silencer works.
I read it on some site a while back.
Think of a champagne bottle...shake it up cork pops off really fast but if you slowed that down the less the sound because the sound and air leave teh barrel slower.
Like a bullet leaving its chamber through the barrel, When it travels through the barrel the bullet has the fire and pressure behind it waiting to leave,when the round leaves the barrel through the silencer,the silencers holes relieve the pressure thus absorbing the sound and pressure at the sacrifice of range.

silencers are not silencing the bullet but there silencing the pressure that launches it.
A pump powered weapon can be silenced but it will need to travel down along way before the round leaves the barrel sacrifice some range.
A plunger base will not becouse you still have the sound of the plunger hitting the inside.
I think im right someone correct me if im wrong.

sides almost every battle ive been on every skirmish winds up being a rambo match.
silencers are only good if they cant see where your comnig from.

Btw- I did make a silencer for my bbgun..repeater (I was bored as hell one day) and the barrel is webbed so now my pistol has a detatchable silencer made of the smae principles as the ones above but i believe im just chanelling the sound.

Edited by joeyaglr444, 24 April 2006 - 10:44 PM.

Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#7 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Location:West Michigan, in a basement, chained to a wall, with nothing but a puter and a NiteFinder to keep me busy.

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:45 AM

I read to about "champagne bottle" and stopped. I've read that analogy before so I know what he said probably.

Anyway, with my SOBR (pneumatic rifle designed around quietness), all that is heard is a like thwop from the dart leaving the barrel then a hiss from the air resistance on the dart. So, yes, I do in fact have a functioning suilencer. By the end of today, hopefully I will have the 'thwop' mostly gone. Oh yeah, I can hit a man-sized target (in fact, it was a person) from 60ft, so I love that blaster now ;) .

I didn't realize that Spartan was talking about spring blasters. Well, that changes a lot of things. Don't bother unless it is a homemade designed around the shortened piston travel. I'll post some of my concept work when I have more time. It is all in writing, by the way...
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users