Homemade Gun

-_-|| help.....

12 replies to this topic

#1 SnIpErX125

SnIpErX125

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 11:41 PM

I am currently making a homemade gun. I have a tire tube that can go through a segment of PVC piping. I did that, and attached it to a coupler, and then you know, connect through the gun and so and so. Everything is fine, but when I pump air into the gun, I can only pump about 4 or 5 times before it explodes on me. It is probably because I haven't glued my PVC segments together, but if I do that, will my problem be solved and I can pump many times?
CAUTION: These plastic BBS sting like a mother when you get hit by them, so don't go shooting at the cat with it.

www.geocities.com/darkmessenger125/NerfRetreat.html

#2 WebbZter

WebbZter

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 03:10 PM

Yes...glued PVC parts are stronger than not glued PVC parts. As a result, glued PVC parts can hold more pressure than not glued PVC parts. Therefore, glued PVC parts can take more pumps than not glued PVC parts.

#3 Dan Cromer

Dan Cromer

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 09:51 PM

Uhh, I really don't want to sound like I'm making fun of you because you're new, and trying to make myself sound cool for making fun of you, but that had to be one of the stupidest questions ever asked.

#4 SnIpErX125

SnIpErX125

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 10:03 PM

Yes, that is true. And I don't care. Go ahead. Make fun of me. I don't care. Haha. jk man. Yeah I know. Stupid question. Anyway, is there a way to insure that your gun won't explode after too much pressure?
CAUTION: These plastic BBS sting like a mother when you get hit by them, so don't go shooting at the cat with it.

#5 Sacapuntas Cabesa

Sacapuntas Cabesa

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 10:23 PM

Your pump will give out before the tank.
If the world is so unfair, why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?

Dinobot smash!!!

#6 SnIpErX125

SnIpErX125

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 01:00 AM

What did that mean? My pump works fine, it's just that the tank is rather fragile.

#7 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 01:27 AM

Uhh, I really don't want to sound like I'm making fun of you because you're new, and trying to make myself sound cool for making fun of you, but that had to be one of the stupidest questions ever asked.

That's just super constructive of you.

VACC

#8 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 02:23 AM

What did that mean? My pump works fine, it's just that the tank is rather fragile.

He means properly glued PVC can hold a LOT more air pressure than you're pump can create. Like 300 PSI or so. You're not going to get much above 150 PSI with any bike pump or anything AFAIK.
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#9 silent mercenary

silent mercenary

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 01:40 PM

what kind of pump?
I will not walk, so that a child may live!

- Master Shake

#10 INsecurity

INsecurity

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 08:20 PM

And there is no point pumping that high your darts will explode at 150 lol.

#11 Raecroft

Raecroft

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 08:18 PM

Not to mention the weight required to keep a stefan steady at that pressure. Oh and non-drilled stefans can take that pressure I think.
"You laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you are all the same".-anynomous

#12 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 09:13 PM

Not to mention the weight required to keep a stefan steady at that pressure. Oh and non-drilled stefans can take that pressure I think.

Eh, it's all a matter of dart balance. Notice that an Airjet Micro dart (Red foam, black, non-whistling tip) can stay completely accurate in even a powerful gun, despite its incredibly light weight. This is because of the balance of weight between the tip and body, not just because of the tip weight itself.

Speaking of which, I've made Micro and Zero darts with only one BB, and after drilling out the back with ("Newbiish, I'm sure someone will say) a Wendy's straw (Or equivilent diameter plastic straw). Any larger diameter than that and it instantly rips apart in high-powered air guns. So, lighter dart, perfect accuracy, the only problem is a 10ft range drop versus those with 1/4" Slingshot weights. I wonder why... Perhaps because of the reduced force and momentum, versus the forces of wind resistance, due to a lower mass?

As to the bursting at 150psi, yeah, those drilled darts probably wouldn't take it. So this post was solely a plug for making ligher ammo. For that, I'm sorry. ...Er... You dug up an old topic!! *points finger in cheesy attempt to shift shame*
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#13 Raecroft

Raecroft

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 09:44 AM

I think I know why, Inertia.
"You laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you are all the same".-anynomous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users