Photo

Nitemav In Progress

29 replies to this topic

#1 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:51 PM

For the past two weeks I've been working on the Nitemav. Those of you that have tried making one know how hard it is to make these things work. At the moment, I'm making the seal between the turret and the cylinder, so I'll update soon. Here's the vid:

Nitemav Dry-firing

Edited by Carrtoon, 18 April 2006 - 12:52 PM.

When beauty breaks the spell of pain
The bludgeoned heart shall burst in vain
But not when love be pointed king
And truth shall Thee forever reign

#2 Vicious-V

Vicious-V

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:53 PM

I don't see anything being fired...

#3 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:55 PM

I need to increase the seal and I just finished it. More to come...

#4 Vicious-V

Vicious-V

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:56 PM

Add a spring in front of the turret. Add a o-ring or something to the holes...Do you mind taking a picture of the internals?

#5 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:05 PM

Looks great so far. I look forward to the finished product and ranges. This Nite-Mav could be to a sidearm as the crossbow is to a primary. I will defenitly make one of these if you are able to pull it off.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#6 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:12 PM

Thanks! I wish I had a crossbow! Here are the interior pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Lukeinator

Lukeinator

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:33 PM

Is that an X-Acto knife blade you used for the trigger?

Very Innovative and much better than epoxying part of the NF trigger on there. Mad Props to you for even thinking of that, even more mad props if you can pull it off.

Good Luck.
Ride it like it's stolen.

#8 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:37 PM

Very good work so far. That trigger plate is scary looking! Is it performing well?

Also, what is the catch spring actually pushing against? Did you have to cut a 'track' or a groove in the case to get it to stay in place, or were you lucky enough to get it to stay in place as-is?

About that seal problem, a very easy fix is to take a small spring (ie. one from the air restrictors) and put it on the front end of the cylinder so it presses the cylinder up against the plunger lip more effectivley.

I hope you get this completed. It's an excellent gun once it works correctly.

Sincereley,
Pat
QUOTE(euphemism) View Post
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

It gave the site a sort of 'homy' feeling.

Did you know that "m" can sometimes look like "rn" when read quickly?

#9 Maverick Master

Maverick Master

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:52 PM

I don't see anything being fired...

He said he was dry firing and if you don't know what theat means he is shooting without a dart.
Cpt. Brian Scott of UGNS

Under
Ground
Nerf
Squad

Alias Scoped loser (+)
(.)(.) :)

LordofTheRings434
"In a sense, what I'm saying is that you shouldn't waste your time handling your balls. Go for the foamy rods instead."

#10 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:11 PM

How'd you get it to cock so reliably? That was one thing I couldn't get to work.

Edit: Nevermind, I just looked at mine, nice job though.

Edited by flamebo388, 18 April 2006 - 07:14 PM.

And as everyone knows, money makes the world go round. It's also the root of all evil, therefore the world going round is evil, and we should stop the rotation of the planet.

#11 wick817

wick817

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:44 PM

Wow, I think its going well so far. Hope you get it finished.
I think it should turn out quite well. It also is very smooth with the firing mechinisim.
What ranges are you expecting from the gun?
Im just interested.

Edited by wick817, 18 April 2006 - 08:48 PM.

This is funny
My freind: You cant hit from there
Me:Yes i can... BANG(from my singled AT2K)
My friend:OOOWWWWW My arm.

#12 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:57 PM

Thanks for the comments! That isn't an x-acto blade, although it looks a lot like one. It's just a piece of plastic cut to do the proper function. The catch has to be kept in place by a hot glued piece of plastic that sits right behind it.

As you can see in the video, the catch works every time. I fussed with it a lot, but it works wonderfully now. The seal is still a problem, though. I put the extra spring on the turret and it's pressing a little too hard. The turret now won't rotate like it should. I'll keep trying things and get results out asap. I did test the range. It gets 66' banded when I press the turret against the cylinder. Not bad. Not bad at all! All I have left to do is fix that seal, and I should be set!

#13 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for the comments! That isn't an x-acto blade, although it looks a lot like one. It's just a piece of plastic cut to do the proper function. The catch has to be kept in place by a hot glued piece of plastic that sits right behind it.

As you can see in the video, the catch works every time. I fussed with it a lot, but it works wonderfully now. The seal is still a problem, though. I put the extra spring on the turret and it's pressing a little too hard. The turret now won't rotate like it should. I'll keep trying things and get results out asap. I did test the range. It gets 66' banded when I press the turret against the cylinder. Not bad. Not bad at all! All I have left to do is fix that seal, and I should be set!

I'm glad your getting what seem to be the 'average' range. Keep up the work on the clyinder: it's just trial and error.

Glad you got the catch to work out well for you. It is really difficult to get it to cooperate, but once it does, it's a hell of a gun.

Once it's done, I'd suggest complimenting that new-found range with an even better ROF, a-la Captain Slug.

I hope you get to finish this up soon. As I must have said at least ten dozen times before, it's a hell of a gun when done right.

Sincerley,
Pat

Edited by {SF3G}pat 2nd Lt., 18 April 2006 - 09:44 PM.

QUOTE(Pat) View Post

#14 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:23 PM

Great work so far, I'm still working on mine. I'm going to do what you did with the trigger, it will solve alot of problems I'm having.

Also, the videos don't work for me (none ever do) so I'm going to ask, is the turret rotating all the way before it fires? If it's not, that's something you will need to fix by moving the trigger plate over slightly, because if you don't, it'll fire before the dart gets into position.

Good Luck

Probably dead by now, or something.

#15 DarkSide

DarkSide

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:42 PM

Good job! I recently did this, except it was a (old edition) TTG plunger, and I call it the Tech-Mav. I'll post about it soon.
~D.S.~

#16 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:51 PM

Finally! It's finished in the mechanical part! I used some craft foam to seal the turret instead of an O-ring

It fires darts!

#17 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:47 PM

Welcome to the club, Carrtoon!

Good job on it. Is it all done, or are there still a couple little things to work out?

Excellent job, though.

You, apperantly, have a much steeper learning curve than me. Problems during the fabrication of my first Nite-Mav lead me to join the NIC in the first place. Eventually I got it done after a lot of correspondance with Ompa, and several failed attempts.

As I said, excellent job, and welcome to the club!

May she always serve you well, Carrtoon.

Sincereley,
Pat
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

#18 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:24 PM

Welcome to the club, Carrtoon!

Good job on it. Is it all done, or are there still a couple little things to work out?

Excellent job, though.

You, apperantly, have a much steeper learning curve than me. Problems during the fabrication of my first Nite-Mav lead me to join the NIC in the first place. Eventually I got it done after a lot of correspondance with Ompa, and several failed attempts.

As I said, excellent job, and welcome to the club!

May she always serve you well, Carrtoon.

Sincereley,
Pat

Wow, thanks! The only thing that still needs work is the appearance. Well that and I need to get to a war!

The one side took me at least 7 hours to paint and it still isn't done. I sanded all of the paint off so I could use vinyl dye. The top sight took forever. Then sanding down the logos. Next I wasn't happy with the texture of the paint, so I sanded it down. Then I quit. It was taking too long.

I think I may buy another Maverick and make an actual step by step write up/pics and simplify thing a little. It's amazing how similar the nerf gun process is with completely different guns. The BBB and this nitemav both went through a thought process, a rough gun that worked, and then a nice looking finished product that's simple to make and very effective. The nitemav isn't done yet. The mechanics work perfectly. I just need to make it easier to make and look better. Sorry if I repeated a lot!

#19 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:10 PM

It fires darts!

Thats excellent and I am very proud/jealous of you but how far do they go?
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#20 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:00 PM

60-65' depending on how tight the dart fit is. I may try brass on my next one...

Trigger Mechanism

As you can see, the black plastic has to hit the orange catch at the last moment or the air will not flow into the turret barrels. I also glued an orange plastic piece behind the orange catch to act as a rail. Other than that, the spring just is pushed to the top of the maverick when the shell is closed.

I'm happy to answer any quesitons

Edited by Carrtoon, 19 April 2006 - 11:10 PM.

#21 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:18 PM

Awesome!
I’d try cpvc-ing it or brassing it, also clip modding it would be sweet. If this war happens in the summer you best bring this baby.

#22 Dan Wask

Dan Wask

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:34 PM

could you measure the black ramp catch thing for me ?
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 9 2005, 12:02 AM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

#23 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:26 PM

could you measure the black ramp catch thing for me ?

3 cm exactly

#24 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:06 PM

The only thing I'd suggest other than painting it is this mod by Captain Slug.

It works very well, and adds a huge ROF to your Mavericks new-found range.

Other than the whole giving up on the paint-job, good work. I like it. It looks a lot cleaner than my first one.

And good luck with a write-up. I'm still not sure how I got all of mine working, let alone what I did step-by-step.

Sincereley,
Pat
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

#25 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:26 PM

In my opinion, this is definately one of the hardest mods on the net to perform. Just because if you don't get things exactly in the right spot, or exactly the right length, the thing won't fire. I made the grave mistake of epoxying the end of my Mav plunger tube into the NF plunger tube before I had made absolutely sure that the nozzle would fit correctly into the case. It was slightly off-kilter, resulting in a horrendous seal. It kind of irked me, since I actually had the trigger and rotation mechanisms working. Alas, epoxy is very hard to undo and I ended up scrapping the thing for parts.

So congrats on such a well-done modification, it's quite a beast to do correctly.

~ompa

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users