Magazine-Fed!

9 replies to this topic

#1 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:20 PM

Posted Image

In keeping with my goal of making a high power and high ROF gun that any nerfer with basic modding equipment can make with no mechanical knowledge necessary, I just added the world's simplest magazine system to the world's simplest gun.

It's a 10 round box made of galvanized iron. I just cut a dart-length section out of the top of the barrel and glued the mag on via some tabs I cut in an arc at the bottom.

To make it simpler, you could use balsa or cardboard, but I like the feeling of metal. It's quite sturdy.

There are absolutely no internals to this gun, even with clip feed, because there's no need to seal it. The advantage is that I can still shoot paper darts with the same performance. It's kind of like having "close range mode" and "sharpshooter mode", being able to switch between the two.

The feed is quite reliable, and the occasional jam is easily fixed by simply cocking the gun and firing again. As was the case before, it's important to keep darts square at the back to prevent such jams.

The clip doesn't ugly the gun up too much, it rather looks like some sort of WW1 SMG.

I haven't been able to test ranges yet, because it's quite windy (tornadoes all over eastern MO) and I ran out of weights. It seems to have no drop in performance.

I like to think of it as an improved maverick. It has 2 more shots, better range, larger caliber, with the same ROF.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#2 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

Great Job. It looks good from what I can see. Can you get a clearer picture?? It's pretty hard to see any detailon that one, it's very blurry. Ranges would be appreciated when the weather calms down over there. Maybe a write-up, too.

Also, you said it has a 10 round clip, but then you said it had 2 more shots than a Maverick. Wouldn't it have 4 more shots??

Probably dead by now, or something.

#3 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:29 PM

Doesn't the maverick have 8 shots? I'm really not into modding, just homemades. Either way, it's got a 10 round clip.

I'll try to get a better picture tomorrow. That one had bad light. To give you a better idea of the appearance, imagine a big shiny box on top of one of the pictures of the single-shot version. It's the exact same gun.

I'll get to work on a write-up if I make another one, for photo purposes. I need to get into the habit of documenting things as I build them. I guess I could use MSPaint or Rhino3D drawings for a preliminary one. In fact, I'll get started on it now.

#4 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:38 PM

I haven't seen the old one, I'll have to do a search.

Also, the Maverick has 6 shots. You might be thinking of the Firefly, which is 5x the size and has 8 shots.

Well anyway good job, 10 shots is a great advantage in a war. (I use a DTG as my primary in alot of wars, I should know. ^_^ )

EDIT: I took a look at the KISS mini before the clip. I like the look of it and it looks very well-built. I am going to make some paper darts and try them out in some of my guns, I'm curious about their performance.

Edited by AssassinNF, 13 March 2006 - 09:48 PM.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#5 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:47 PM

You realize what you've done....you've remade the Nerf slingshot, and made it into something that completely owns. Your clip system even works the same way. I tip my hat to you.

I was wondering, what's your procedure for putting slots into PVC?

Edited by Carbon, 13 March 2006 - 10:48 PM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#6 m15399

m15399

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:02 PM

Wait, so you draw back the handle, which allows one dart to drop into the barrel, right? Then why don't the darts slow down due to friction from the above dart?

I think if you put the clip underneath at a 45 degree angle back, and made it cock by pulling back a handle thing that retracts (as in Maverick, Firefly, Scout, Crossfire, etc.), it would be flippin' sweet.

#7 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:07 PM

Wait, so you draw back the handle, which allows one dart to drop into the barrel, right? Then why don't the darts slow down due to friction from the above dart?

They probably do slow down due to friction with the above dart, but the effect would be negligible considering the force being applied to it.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#8 Maverick Master

Maverick Master

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:04 AM

That is really awsome and with not that much of a drop is range is amazing. Also can you load paper darts into the clip?
Cpt. Brian Scott of UGNS

Under
Ground
Nerf
Squad

Alias Scoped loser (+)
(.)(.) :)

LordofTheRings434
"In a sense, what I'm saying is that you shouldn't waste your time handling your balls. Go for the foamy rods instead."

#9 kaiman299

kaiman299

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:35 PM

loser

good job. Looks like you took some real time on that baby. Now just need to sand it and make the externals a lil' purtyer.

edit: weird when you say s n i p e r it changes it to looser.

Edited by kaiman299, 14 March 2006 - 07:35 PM.

#10 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:10 PM

You're calling this a asshole? Far from it!

80 feet might seem far for a nerf gun, but it's not far enough to eat shit from, especially since this gun is a little less accurate than more traditional guns.

No, I do not intend to eat shit with this. It's a pistol after all. It's meant for decent power and ROF on a budget.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users