The charging rod handle has been moved to the rear.
And here's the juntion between the chargerod section and the PC section. Standard clothespin trigger.
Here's the gist of how this works:
The SNAP-2 had a 1.25" => .5" reducing bushing that held the stock, held the spring in place, and allowed the chargerod to slide past. Really, the only function the rod had in the 2 was two make sure the spring didn't buckle, and all the force was channelled in one direction. The charging handle was directly attached to the plunger, so there was the whole issue of making a slot in the PC, and making the plunger long enough so the head never touched the slot at full draw.
For the 3, I added an inch of .5" PVC to the rear bushing to hold the spring, and then put on a 1.25" to .5" bushing. The chargerod slides through. I have a .75" endcap around the end of the chargerod, to keep everything centered in the rear section of 1.25" PVC, and to give a solid chunk to anchor the handle to.
The other reason I moved the handle to the rear is to solve the whole "fast moving piece of metal when I fire" problem. In this version, the chargerod isn't snugly attached to the plunger, only cotter pinned in place in a loose hole. The plunger is equal in length to the draw of the spring (about 5"). After pulling the plunger back, I can push the charging handle back forward, pushing the chargerod up inside the plunger. That way, the spring is only moving the plunger, and no metal bits. Also, the forward action of the chargerod could be used for action on a breech/clip/magazine.
Irony alert: I made this version partially because I wanted to make it a bit safer, so I wouldn't gouge myself on the charging handle. So what do I do right after I got this one working? Forgot to push the handle back forward, and gouged my arm. Oh well.
Lightening the plunger seems to have given range improvements, as it hit the 80' mark with micro stefans.
Issues: the rod moves a bit stiffly when I shove it back forward....mostly because it's a metal-on-metal contact point, where the rod is sliding past a bunched spring. I need to do something to lubricate it (in a way that won't make a mess). Also partially because I drilled my rear endcap a little off-center, and my slot isn't quite big enough. It should all improve with usage wear.
Stuff to do: a handle (of course), improve the stock, and create a clip system that capitalizes on the back-and-forth motion.
Edited by Carbon, 10 June 2016 - 07:11 AM.