Photo

Sights

27 replies to this topic

#1 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:58 AM

Every gun should have sights but nerf doesnt except the eagle eye and a few other ones anybody ever put sights on they're guns?
If so id love to know how
Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#2 SG Pilot

SG Pilot

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:12 AM

I find sights unnessesary in my opinion, but I suppose you could just slap a laser pointer on your gun like the NF (Nite Finder).
QUOTE(VACC @ Oct 9 2009, 04:45 AM) View Post

I know, I HATE toy guns that are made for little kids!

#3 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:13 AM

First off, COC. Bad punctuation.

Second, sightings are great on guns that are accurate. Nerf guns are not accurate. It's the same with paintball guns. If there are sights, they're worthless. Paintballs are not accurate because they are not solid and round. That makes a bad projectile. Darts are not accurate because they are not aerodynamic and are being shot at slow velocities. Not to mention, they're MOTHER FUCKING TOYS.

Have a nice day,

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#4 navy seal

navy seal

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:17 AM

The nite finder has two orange triangle pieces on the top that can be used as sights. The only problem with sights is stefans aren't 100% accurate.Some people cut a piece of pvc and tape it on their gun to aim easier but those don't work every time. I like aiming down the seam of the shell and the barrel. This works very good for my crossbow.

EDIT; Talio beat me to it.

Edited by navy seal, 13 August 2005 - 10:19 AM.

Played in 110 countries
Bigger than rugby
Bigger than snowboarding
Bigger than surfing.......Paintball

#5 scientology

scientology

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:00 PM

I like sights they're useful, what I mean by sights are any things sticking up the top of your gun that you use as a reference, like the nf ex-3 has a rail on top you can use as a sight. Also flashlights would work too indoors if you can attach them to your gun, but laser pointers (they're dangerous) and scopes wouldnt really help imo.

And if nerf guns are as inaccurate as you then how do you aim them?

Edited by scientology, 13 August 2005 - 01:02 PM.

#6 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 02:36 PM

What i was trying to ask was there anybody out there that had done something such as a custom job. when I shoot I dont just fire blindly I try to line up my gun with a target.

and to your response Talio to the "they're MOTHER FUCKING TOYS" why do airsoft players use sights and expensive laser sight (not the laser pointer, the laser scope)
some rifles can be bloody accurate at times.
Sights would give me an idea of what im shooting at.
Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#7 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 02:49 PM

Dude, he's right. Nerf guns are not accurate enough to warrant the use of a sight. The Titan and Crossbow, as I understand it, are extremely accurate for guns that fire chunks of foam, but do you ever shoot from far enough away to use a scope or a laser sight? Even if the gun is pinpoint accurate up to its maximum range (which they're not), by the time the dart reaches the target it will have moved out of the way (if it's a person), so scopes and laser sights are useless in Nerf. They're toys and they aren't accurate enough, nor do they shoot the projectile fast enough, to use scopes or sights effectively.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 13 August 2005 - 02:49 PM.

SexD Warves

#8 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 02:51 PM

What Talio refers to is that as toys, it's pretty senseless to spend more on a scope/ sight (even a low-quality one) than you would on the actual Nerf blaster. There are some people on these boards that believe that their toys are 300 yard death machines that require a scope that sights in their foam darts at almost zero MOA.

That's pretty retarded, and shows who really Nerfs and who doesn't.

That said, I do slightly disagree with Tally on the point that I found a simple notch sight to at least give me a quick way to "point and shoot" when on the run (which is the way I mostly play). Sure, it's still as inaccurate as a brick, but it does give me a point of reference when trying to pump/ run/ shoot/ curse/ fart, and other things simultaneously. AT 2000s don't have any straight lines on top, so the notch n' blade works for me.

Posted Image
I chopped the top back on the 2k, and epoxied this home cut sight and it works pretty good. Accurate up to 50-60 feet. Any further away and I should be camping already.

Or, you could just go out and Nerf and find out for yourself.

That's my 2 shekels on that one.

-Piney-

Edited by Pineapple, 13 August 2005 - 02:54 PM.

-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#9 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 03:42 PM

I'm not going to challange Piney at all here, but I am going to say that instead of making anything to help you shoot, learn to shoot like the rest of us. Point and shoot is really all you have. Past that, you aim by Zen. If you don't understand that, nerf (and I don't mean sit around your house shooting cans or posting on the boards 9 times a day) for a year and you'll have it down.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#10 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 06:25 PM

Well, sights are unnessecary (can't spell). I use my intuition. Otherwise, use a graduated scope cause you can't use a leevel scope on a nerf gun.
Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#11 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 02:27 AM

I have added a laser pen on one of my guns because it is designed to shoot far.
I can confidently tell you guys that this is 100% accurate from far. I can't go too much into details yet, not untill the clan wars are over.(Just for privacy sakes) But adding a laser pen takes alot of time because you need to line it up perfect. A millimeter off and it could not be accurate. I have shot maybe 80 different darts out of this gun and have only found four good darts that stay 100% accurate and go the distance. Once the clan wars are over expect a full mod report,pictures and ranges. In a war though i wouldnt be using sights. I would just line up the barrell of the gun with my target and go with the feel i got for the gun during practice.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 14 August 2005 - 02:29 AM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#12 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:30 AM

You're full of shit. Go to NHQ, they'll believe you.

#13 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:48 PM

Be patient. In 2 weeks this game will be over. and you will get full details.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#14 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:23 PM

I have shot maybe 80 different darts out of this gun and have only found four good darts that stay 100% accurate and go the distance.

Only 4 out of 80. Then your idea sucks, and your darts do too. If you can only find four out of 80 darts that can be accurate and go long distances then somethings wrong with your darts.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#15 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 02:59 PM

I have found 40 out of 80 darts that are pretty accurate but only 4 darts that are 100 percent accurate. I'm just getting used to stefans.(I have only gone through 2 bags of FBR) Keep in mind that the smallest bit of protruding foam or irregularity of shape or even the weight offcenter will cause a fluxuation in accuracy. When I post the details, if my word isnt enough for you to beleive, I may be able to get Hexen to back me up on it after I show him in person. To say my idea sucks for a war is fair. But for a city wide, month long,money involved, make your shot count kinda game it's brilliant. Just please be patient once the game is over I plan on posting in depth details (Even though its kinda simple) and answering any questions.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 14 August 2005 - 03:08 PM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

#16 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 03:26 PM

I can totally believe that someone who's not used to making stefans only has 4 straight and centered darts out of 80. The problem is that by the time you've identified those 4, they're no longer perfect. You see, every time you shoot a stefan out of a relatively high-powered gun the weight flies around inside the dart on launch and impact and changes the balance. Essentially, a dart never flies the same twice.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#17 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 05:56 PM

A city wide, money involved nerf war. This has gone from bullshit to downright pure evil. Dude, get the fuck out of here no one is going to buy that horse shit.

Talio.

#18 foamsmith

foamsmith

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:52 PM

I can totally believe that someone who's not used to making stefans only has 4 straight and centered darts out of 80. The problem is that by the time you've identified those 4, they're no longer perfect. You see, every time you shoot a stefan out of a relatively high-powered gun the weight flies around inside the dart on launch and impact and changes the balance. Essentially, a dart never flies the same twice.

I think that's usually true, but I also think it's plenty possible to build darts so that the weight does not move around inside by making sure the weight is totally surrounded in hot glue, and the whole you burned is totally filled with hot glue. Don't you?

I have found 40 out of 80 darts that are pretty accurate but only 4 darts that are 100 percent accurate.

Forsaken_angel24, no stefans, fired from conventional modded or stock barrels, are 100% accurate.
formerly frank8715

#19 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:11 PM

I think that's usually true, but I also think it's plenty possible to build darts so that the weight does not move around inside by making sure the weight is totally surrounded in hot glue, and the whole you burned is totally filled with hot glue. Don't you?

Maybe if you're using bbs for weights I guess. I'm generally considered to be an above average dartsmith and I have yet to make a dart that is worth a damn after being fired 3 or 4 times out of an at3k or equivalent. I know the amount of damage done to the foam by the weight is going to be substantially greater with the 3/0 or .25 cal weights I use but I think these are minimally acceptable weights for mid to long-range guns.

#20 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:47 AM

I appreciate Cxwq's comments on the darts as i found one today that was 100% accurate spiraled out of control when i was showing a friend. :rolleyes:
Talio I am confused as to how u have put me on a bad list I guess. I am just curious are you calling me a liar about the whole clan wars thing or are u just against the whole idea and all the people that do them. Is it the gambling part you dont like? There are 27 other "real" people playing this game untill Aug 31st and if you will recall it was Hexen who started the thread. I'm not trying to pick fights and get banned or anything I am just curious why you seem to see red whenever I post a comment? On a side note Cxwq i was wondering if you had any experience on long range stefans or something that could help them stay true. I'm not talking serious long range but three darts I have left still hit the laser pen at 100 feet away. (give or take an inch) Also I was reading that higher powered guns needed a heavier weight and bbs wouldnt do. Is this true?

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 15 August 2005 - 03:48 AM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

#21 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 07:53 AM

Oh don't get me wrong, it's nothing personal, you're just full of shit.
Talio.

#22 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:42 AM

Talio I am confused as to how u have put me on a bad list I guess.

I have left still hit the laser pen at 100 feet away. (give or take an inch) Also I was reading that higher powered guns needed a heavier weight and bbs wouldnt do. Is this true?

Talio doesn't think you're being entirely honest.

Part of it stems from you calling 27 people a "city wide" game. Perhaps you meant that the boundaries are the whole city or something. Whatever, it just came across as you being completely full of shit because it sounded like you were trying to say that the whole city was involved.

It won't help things that you just made the most difficult to believe statement to date. No nerf gun can do 1 inch accuracy at 100'. Period. That is absolutely rediculous. The followup question about bbs not being adequate just reinforces our opinion because if you're using bbs and claiming that accuracy at 100' then you really need your head checked.

#23 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:19 PM

It won't help things that you just made the most difficult to believe statement to date. No nerf gun can do 1 inch accuracy at 100'. Period. That is absolutely rediculous. The followup question about bbs not being adequate just reinforces our opinion because if you're using bbs and claiming that accuracy at 100' then you really need your head checked.

I can confirm this, without question. Though anyone who has ever Nerfed before doesn't need my scientific findings in this regard (since common sense will do) I can assure you that this is an unfathomable accuracy, given the medium. In the multitudinous reports I did throughout college on the mechanical physics of Nerf darts (thanks to the fact that I had an awesome Physics professor who allowed us to apply our learning to any area of practicality we desired), it was a very simple matter to show that the inconsistencies in the construction of homemade darts, coupled with the non-uniformity of the pits in the foam, causes uneven distribution of drag across the surface area of the dart. As such, consistant and reliable accuracy is an impossible endeavor.

DEATH

Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without.  --Hávamál 38

#24 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 01:32 PM

Oh beleive me I am not using bb's i am using 3/0 fishing weights the ones without the wings. The city wide nerf war are the boundaries. I apologize for any miscommunication. I just assumed that when I said there were 27 people playing, people wouldnt assume 27 was the population of a city. As for my stats on the gun.
I have taken 4 shots each with the good darts and they were within an inch. I was with a friend taking aim at eachother. Even standing beside the other as they shot and not beleiving our eyes on the range and accuracy. If there is anything else i can clear up or anything else that's misunderstood please post what is unclear.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#25 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:02 AM

I have taken 4 shots each with the good darts and they were within an inch. I was with a friend taking aim at eachother. Even standing beside the other as they shot and not beleiving our eyes on the range and accuracy. If there is anything else i can clear up or anything else that's misunderstood please post what is unclear.

I suppose you could clear up one question I have: by what sorcery are you enchanting your darts and/or guns? To which gods do you commit blood sacrifices that your weapons might strike true? What Faustian accord has been committed to infernal contract which allows your foam such deadly flight?

You see, the reason I ask is that I already mentioned that, by proof of the elemental and universal laws of physics, I've determined your claim to be false. Now, since your Foam Darts are obviously not governed by the same science that guides my Foam Darts, I would love to know how you accomplish such a feat as even NASA would find themselves unable to reproduce.

Edited by Death, 16 August 2005 - 08:06 AM.

DEATH

Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without.  --Hávamál 38

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users