what did you think.

31 replies to this topic

#26 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:48 AM

I gave a stranger who was down on his luck 20 bucks today.

I also told him that he could go out and make something good of himself if he just believed that he could.

Last week, I dropped off clothing that was to make it's way to Sri Lanka where they are still digging out from the devastation that the tsunami left 7 months ago.

Point is, I didn't need a concert to remind me of that.

Rather than harping about it and getting into the politics of it, we CAN make a difference if we each tried...one life at a time. Starting with your neighbors and strangers in your community.

You'd be surprised what can happen when people start to genuinely care for others without a large amount of publicity, press, or fanfare. Try it.

-Piney-

EDIT; I didn't see nor hear "Live 8". It probably wouldn't have made a difference for me anyway.

Edited by Pineapple, 05 July 2005 - 01:50 AM.

-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#27 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:25 PM

Merl, you're quite wrong on the traffic scenario. Normally in Philly for concerts the traffic gets a little hairy around the I 76 split at the airport. If there is something going on at each stadium, sometimes it will reach back to Chester or on an absolute nightmare of a night Pasiank Ave. However, the traffic was backed up on both 495 and 95 to the exit for 141 in delaware. That's 30 miles. Deldot and Pendot have both been harping on how terrible of an idea the whole thing was. They'll never allow it again, and have threatened to shut down all exits for center city if it does happen again. In other words, it was pretty catastrophic.

I agree with you Pinney, we all need to help. I'm not trying to give the mentality that we can't. What I'm saying is that we all need to focus our attention if we're going to do it rather then buying braclets and going to rock concerts. Help at a local poor house or soup kitchen, do a fund raiser or just simply go pick up some garbage in the woods. Thing is, when it comes to helping, you have to have a shotgun mentality. Get in close and squeeze it off quick. Too many have this mindset of an atom bomb. That they can change the world. Well you can't do that. It would take quite a few people and a hell of a long time to do that. However, you can make things better.

Take Pinney's advice, he said what I was trying to say alot nicer. Kudos.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#28 Bad Karma

Bad Karma

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:03 PM

Seriously people. The last thing you wanna think about when your listening to your favorite music is think about starving children in a 3rd world country. People ARE aware, it's just a matter of doing something about it. The fact of the matter is. A concert is one of the worst ways of raising awarness. People go to listen to the band, not think about poor people in a country that doesn't care about them. It's another concert just like the ones that go on all the time. I believe that's the point Talio was trying to make. Calm down guys, it's just a freakin concert. I myself turned it off to go to the movies because most the people on it I couldn't stand. No one is blaming you for liking older bands or what not. It was the prensible by which the concert was for. Do you honestly think that a starving plagued community in the middle of the freakin dessert is going to care whether some famous band is dedicating a night out of their year to play music to them? I don't think so. It's a good jester. But it's falling on deaf ears unfortunatly. Music isn't going to change the minds of the drug lords. Neither is making us awar of it. It's funny to think that people want to make everyone awar of the horrors of the world. But don't do anything about it.

Talio is NOT a Republican. I have talked to the guy enough to know that much. I also find it sad that you would take what could be a good debat and make it a dick measuring contest. Obviously the concert didn't make you awar of anything at all.

My family never throws anything away without wondering whether places like the local trift store or the Salvation Army may be able to use it.

Fact of the matter is. Concert =Fun not Concert= Guess what mommy! I want to change the world!

~Da BK~

Edited by Bad_Karma, 05 July 2005 - 07:04 PM.

Da BK 02: well...I just wanted to tell you...since your going to be dieing...I 've always hated you...and I mean that
TheTalio: Fuck you...I still love you

#29 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:13 PM

But if Iced Earth is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

I'm all about metal and all, don't get me wrong, but Iced Earth? Thunderfags, dude, thunderfags.
Name's Ash, Housewares

#30 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:00 PM

Dude, Violated is a great song. He says strangle you with your spinal chord dude. Besides, it's wicked funny stuff.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#31 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:58 PM

Man, I hoped this wouldn't get into another music bashing session. Let's keep the fire cool. We all like are own stuff, so get used to it. There's more in this topic to talk about. Just because pop sucks, doesn't mean we need to stress it through countless posts. We don't need to bash each other on politics either. Let's simmer...

Talio, I liked the post. You do have a point that I enjoyed hearing.

The interest I showed in the show was that the Floyd were being reunited. I know it was about helping people, but I knew nothing would come of it. It was done with a good cause in mind, it just didn't do anything. Duh, we're already aware of poverty and shit, and we can do a little. The rest is up to our government, as far as debt goes and stuff. For those who try to help, mad props.

~Rings
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#32 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 09:52 PM

Dude, Violated is a great song. He says strangle you with your spinal chord dude. Besides, it's wicked funny stuff.

Yeah... I'll give you wicked funny.

After seeing them live, I rarely want to listen to them anymore. lol.

Has anyone heard that the bastard who organized the Live 8 thing has been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize? I guess people are just looking for someone to dump that shit on these days... It's a shame it doesn't mean what it used to.
Name's Ash, Housewares

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users