Warhammer 40k

Anyone play it?

29 replies to this topic

#1 ozzy

ozzy

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:55 PM

^_^ I was wondering if anyone 40k. If you do what army do you collect.I'm space marines.

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:07 PM

Search is your friend.

I've never played but it looks fun.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#3 Oddball

Oddball

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 05:33 AM

I play, erm, casually. I'm considering getting back into it, maybe with some 'rines..

#4 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:13 PM

Much to the chagrin of the other Horsemen, I am a 40K player. I have about 2500 points worth of Witch- and Daemon-Hunters.

DEATH

Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without.  --Hávamál 38

#5 Suave

Suave

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:11 PM

Casual Warhammer Fantasy player here.

Dark Elves, baby.

Posted Image

Edited by Suave, 22 April 2005 - 01:12 PM.

#6 tenesee23

tenesee23

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:42 PM

I just recently started playing, I have a 500 pt army built, with the most basic stuff (2 troops and 1 HQ)

I play Daemonhunters
Go Team FuckBuddy!

#7 MattPaintballer

MattPaintballer

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 04:53 PM

My brother and I sometimes play. My brother is more into it though. I like painting the models the most. I would rather paint, take pictures, then re-paint, take pics, etc. than have a war. But I think that's because the people I play with always take soooo long.

Fantasy:
Orcs and Gobbos - Me
Lizardmen - My brother

40K:
Space Marines - Me
Tau - My brother

I'm not really that serious into it. But I really like painting so this is the perfect way to hone my skills and have fun painting.

Edited by MattPaintballer, 22 April 2005 - 04:53 PM.

"I think politicians are much more irritating than hippies."
"the56ace,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you."
-cxwq
If ignorance is bliss, our president must be ecstatic.

#8 Nerforbust

Nerforbust

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:28 PM

Are Warhammer figures hard to paint?

#9 MattPaintballer

MattPaintballer

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:40 PM

Well, it depends. I sucked when I first started painting them. I mean I REALLY sucked. But after, I don't know, two, three weeks, I was pretty good. My hand is a lot steadier now, and I go as much in detail as I can. I guess once you get the hang of it, and master the different techniques like drybrushing and inking, it's not that hard. The paintbrush has become like an extension of my fingers now. Here's a tip, if you ever mess up, clean it off with a Q-tip so you don't have to start over. (I know some players who, before I told them this, would actually start all over again if they messed up)
"the56ace,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you."
-cxwq

#10 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:23 PM

Yeah, I play 40K - Space Marines, specifically. It's a very time consuming and expensive hobby, but getting together with your buds and playing a game for a few hours is an assload of fun. And you don't have to play for hours upon hours, you can play a small 500 point game in just under an hour. I actually prefer small games to larger ones, they're just more rewarding.

Right now I'm getting started on Deathwing, because they just released new models and I'm a slow, detailed painter. Which actually works to my advantage because Deathwing only field about a dozen models.

And yes, painting is a bitch at first, but you get the hang of it very quickly. I would highly recommend 40K to anybody who's one for tactics and strategy, as well as painting and force building/collecting...bottom line is, it may seem nerdy to some people, but once you get past all that shit it's a blast.

-Groove out.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#11 ozzy

ozzy

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:09 PM

I agree with ya groove one time me and my friend spent the night at our friends house and we stayed up till 2:00 in the morning playing 40k and D&D.It was awsome :nugget: !!!!!

#12 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:16 PM

I actually just got back into playing 40k (thanks to tenesee) like three weeks ago, and I play Blood Angel Space Marines.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#13 MattPaintballer

MattPaintballer

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 11:47 PM

bottom line is, it may seem nerdy to some people, but once you get past all that shit it's a blast.

You can't really listen to what other people say. I've noticed that most "nerdy" games are the fun ones. Nerf, lacrosse, Warhammer just to name a few. All fun, and all considered nerdy or geeky (at least here they are)
"the56ace,
-cxwq

#14 Nerforbust

Nerforbust

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 06:58 AM

Well maybe ill pick up a starter set or something.

#15 Oddball

Oddball

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:07 AM

bottom line is, it may seem nerdy to some people, but once you get past all that shit it's a blast.

You can't really listen to what other people say. I've noticed that most "nerdy" games are the fun ones. Nerf, lacrosse, Warhammer just to name a few. All fun, and all considered nerdy or geeky (at least here they are)

Oh, right, no acronyms.

Dungeons and Dragons.

Edited by Oddball, 24 April 2005 - 07:08 AM.

#16 Nerforbust

Nerforbust

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:42 AM

That is expensive, $50 for a RULEBOOK?!
And $30 for a couple of troops? What are they made of, gold?

#17 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:38 PM

My advice would be go into it with a friend or two and split the cost of the rulebook, or find a friend that already has one and simply buy a basic Troop box set. Most boxes are plastic these days, with some metal (pewter) parts and accessories.

If nothing else buy a Troop box set and assemble them, then go to your local gaming / Comic shop and ask some of the players if they can play a quick small game with you to show you the ropes. If you can't decide what race to pick, my suggestion would be to browse Games Workshop's website here: http://us.games-work...40K/default.htm and look through the races to see which one strikes your fancy. Most people start with Space Marines or Imperial Guard.

-Groove out.

#18 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:51 PM

Now nerdy games kick ass, but how is Lacrosse a nerdy game? It's probably one of the fastest sports and is pretty intense. <confuzzled>

Crank'
Tyranny Response Team

#19 Nerforbust

Nerforbust

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:42 PM

I pick Tau because... They look cool...

Is that a bad reason?

#20 MattPaintballer

MattPaintballer

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:44 PM

Not really, that's how I decided on Space Marines...
"the56ace,
-cxwq

#21 Nerforbust

Nerforbust

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:48 PM

If someone is bored, they can type up the rulebook for me. :lol:

#22 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:09 PM

I pick Tau because... They look cool...

Is that a bad reason?

That's a good start, and a pretty good reason. I'd suggest reading this if you haven't already. I used to have a 2,000 point Tau Army, I can help you get started. Contact me on AIM the next time you're on.

As for the 40K Rulebook I can't help you, but I might be able to hook you up with the Tau Codex. To be perfectly honest, most people don't own the rulebook if they play with a group of friends, they usually just delegate one person to be the Rules Bitch, and from there you can pretty much learn the basics gameplay dynamics...

-Groove out.

#23 Avatar of WoeBrian

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:23 PM

As for the 40K Rulebook I can't help you, but I might be able to hook you up with the Tau Codex. To be perfectly honest, most people don't own the rulebook if they play with a group of friends, they usually just delegate one person to be the Rules Bitch, and from there you can pretty much learn the basics gameplay dynamics...

-Groove out.

I am the Rules Bitch in my little group.

#24 Illadar

Illadar

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:33 PM

Casual Warhammer Fantasy player here.

Dark Elves, baby.

Posted Image

And so I ask you, Suave, I ask you why do you have a picture of the sybol of Slaanesh in you post.
I play "recreationaly" as I call it, small 500pts, I do this beacuse I enjoy the game enough to play but I know that I probily wont play or even like, WarHammer or 40k in a couple of years so I dont what to sink to much money into it.
I play 'Nids in 40k and Choas in FB. As to getting started I strongly suggest first buying teh rule book, and then the codex/army book for the race that your consitering before you buy any minis. The codex will give you a much better Idea of the race than the one presented in the rules (please note I say this with out having read the new rule book.

#25 Suave

Suave

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:29 AM

I play the Cult Of Slaanesh variation of the Dark Elf army.

Thusly, Slaanesh.

Actually I play both, but I'm painting my models Slaaneshi and buying\modeling more towards Slaanesh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users