Are You An Old Nerfer?

Top Ten Ways to tell.

78 replies to this topic

#26 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 12:23 PM

Our geeration's got it good to over the fact that we got to learn from past experience from you guys (VAAC, Spoon, Kevin, Evil, etc.) cuz you guys posted everything.

I'm going to fucking slit my wrists now. I don't know which makes me all the more depressed; the total lack language proficiency, or the reference to Evil.....
~Famine
of Mag-7
East Coast Nerf 2005: Step It Up.
East Coast Nerf 2006: That's more like it.
East Coast Nerf 2007: I'm not driving to Massachusetts again.
East Coast Nerf 2008: Day of Regret.
East Coast Nerf 2009: Quid pro quo, douchebags!

#27 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 02:08 PM

I'm going to fucking slit my wrists now. I don't know which makes me all the more depressed; the total lack language proficiency, or the reference to Evil.....

Thanks Famine, that means a lot. You always know how to make a man feel welcome and warm.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#28 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 05:23 PM

I'm going to fucking slit my wrists now.  I don't know which makes me all the more depressed; the total lack language proficiency, or the reference to Evil.....

Thanks Famine, that means a lot. You always know how to make a man feel welcome and warm.

All Famine was referring to there, Evil, was that there is a general misconception that you are an elder in the Nerf community. It was not a personal slight against you, but rather annoyance at the fact that most people don't bother to know what they're talking about before they post. The statement to which he replied inferred that you were amongst the founders of the Nerf community, which you were not.

DEATH

Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without.  --Hávamál 38

#29 Sandman

Sandman

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 06:24 PM

And shame on them for not paying their dues.

This high-and-mighty attitude is a little immature, don't you think? Factual or not, it doesn't make much difference if all you want is credit for helping in something that happened before most people were aware that the internet was mainstream.

#30 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 08:12 PM

Who's asking for any credit? I think you're mistaking remeniscing for an attempt to acrue praise. Famine simply was making a humorous set of observations that he knew certain portions of the population here would understand and appreciate. When people started makeing observations that in no way refered to the same criteria and group which he was addressing, it irritated him. Any further comments by those dismissing certain observations were made in an attempt to retain the originaly desired audience. As far as criticising the motives of this post goes, I'd ask you to look to any nerf forum that has any type of regular traffic; you will find many threads that are very similar yet referring to a younger generation. Why can't we have ours too? If you turn this into a flame war questioning something retarded like the moral of posting self-glorifying messages on nerf bulletin boards, I'll be forced to ask you to fuck off....so please leave it at that.

VACC

#31 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 08:16 PM

And shame on them for not paying their dues.

This high-and-mighty attitude is a little immature, don't you think? Factual or not, it doesn't make much difference if all you want is credit for helping in something that happened before most people were aware that the internet was mainstream.

We're not desiring credit or trying to act high and mighty. In fact, quite the opposite. We have remarked time and again, both in conversation amongst ourselves and on different message boards, that we have never really desired or approved of any deification or aggrandizing which has been given to elder members of this internet community. Even moreso when that aggrandizing occurs for false or misunterstood circumstance, as has occurred with Evil Angel's reputation.

Now, I've met Evil. I've Nerfed with Evil. I have no qualms in saying that Evil is a well-rounded Nerfer and a good guy, besides. I'm not taking anything away from him. I'm simply saying that internet idol worship of people one has never met, be they Spoon or The Horsemen or Evil Angel, can be quite annoying.

DEATH

Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without.  --Hávamál 38

#32 Sacapuntas Cabesa

Sacapuntas Cabesa

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 08:42 PM

I worship GuntherMobile.
If the world is so unfair, why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?

Dinobot smash!!!

#33 Sandman

Sandman

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 09:07 PM

I guess what I was trying to get at was that it is beginning to appear through posts that the so-called "elder" members (which, the term in itself seems laughable, seeing how this community has been around for no longer than what it would take a kid to go through his teenage years...) are having a tendency to bash on the members that haven't been around as long. In my opinion, it's much too similar to high-school's aspect of seniority, and the degradation of lower classmen. There's a line crossed between stirring up feelings of nostalgia and just plain out being a jerk to other people because they were trying to have fun, too. Is there a privelage to be assumed once you've been in the internet community long enough?

I will say that it may seem like I'm overexaggerating the emotions being portrayed, but I would at least like to raise the concern that many of the older members that have been known to be respected and looked up to are, through topics like this, giving off an image different to that I used to know. It's like we're (the people that evidently don't apply to the aforementioned list) are being intimidated or something.

To the defense of Evil Angel's position in the NIC, he may not have been here for very long, but at least he's an influential member. There aren't many members around that have maintained a site like his and kept it updated so constantly. He's one of the elite of today's generation, not the last generation, and he deserves to be recognized as such, not put down because he wasn't on the Nerflist. Just because someone didn't help found the community doesn't mean they can't do their best to uphold it in the way they deem the best.

And VACC, self-glorifying? I hope that I'm not coming off as that, but if I am, how so?

#34 DarkCow

DarkCow

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 10:12 PM

CAn i say one thing? I dont worship people or nerfers, because none of you guys have ever won my respect. Period. You guys are cool and all, but i have almost never, ever looked up to you.

#35 Batman

Batman

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 11:48 PM

Sorry bout my total lack in spelling and grammer, and what not. Hooked on phonics didn't work for me alright. And I wasn't makeing the referense just to evil either, Evil taught me useless stuff, true, but taught me none the less. And you guys have always said at least somehting intelligent. And what about shark repellent!?! Plus I never said that you guys were 'elders'...lol...more like guys that talked enough and wrote enough things on a forum so the rest of us could learn. I mean, I heard about 20 wars at least, from Evil, and Vacc said somehting intelligent once in awhile (J/m). But the point is...wheres the point...I think I'm ranting again...

PS Self glorifying????? Where'd that one come from??? O, and DarkCow...nevermind...I will say that you guys do have my respect, how that respect varies is differnent for each of you.
www.Gainsae.com

#36 DarkCow

DarkCow

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 02:48 AM

Ok, theres respect, and god like worship. I respect you guys all right dang it. But i have never felt an urge to make a shrine to you guys. Or said, "Mommy, mommy, i wanna be like them." You are who you are, so i dont go wanting to be like other people.

EDIT: wait, dang it. What did i say earlier? Ug............ i confuse myself. I thers respect. and something else. But i dont remeber the difference. Just ignore my first post, i dont know what the heck i was saying.........

#37 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 06:42 AM

I have a shrine of Vacc on the headboard of my bed. It's nice, I have Christmas lights that line the edges, they blink when I turn them on. It's nice really. Above it I have one of the famed Horsemen darts and in the middle is Vacc's (yes, the man!) pictures. It's a nice 8x10. I'm looking to get it autographed soon! Wish me luck!

Okay, now that I have that out of my system. I'm fully aware that I had nothing to do with Nerf comming to pass. That was all you guys (Horsemen/Spoon etc). And I respect you a great deal for all you've done. What have I done? Nothing.

I'm sorry people mislabel me as one of you guys, the fathers of Nerf, I just don't want to be attacked for such misconceptions. That's all. None of you attacked me for it, but I think I needed to say that. I don't tell anyone I'm one of you, I've only been around for about three years give or take, some people don't know how little I've been here for. And some just jump to the conclusion that I'm a Vacc or a Spoon for one reason or another.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#38 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 08:28 AM

evil if you are gonna get ANY "picture autographed" it should be the one I took of you and Vacc at Reckoning with the same shirt. I will send you a copy as soon as i develop the film. Only a few more pics left on the roll.....
I hate you.

#39 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 09:35 PM

Ok, simmer down people. I was never attacking or criticzing Evil at all. I do respect Evil (as much as I respect about anyone, which may not be alot, but whatever), he is an influential member of the NIC, he's helped guide alot of young Nerfers, and he's a high profile member of one of the largest up and coming clans (and yes, to me the LCM is still up and coming, but that's a matter of perspective). I like Matt, alot, I always get along with him, and even when I may want to fucking slaughter other members of his clan I'm still cool with him.

I'm not cool with people referring to him as one of the great nerfers who laid the foundation of Nerf for others, meanwhile, people like X or Code, who did more than anyone ever acknowledged, are completely forgotten in the annals of Nerf History. True, the NIC hasn't been around for more than 8 or 9 years, but those of us who were there from the beginning (and even I wasn't) have a right to feel a slight sting whenever one of our friend's and comrade's names are replaced by those who are upstarts to us. We may like these new members, but they still cannot fill the shoes of those who came before them to us.

I'm writing this message somewhat in haste so I'll comment more on it later. Till then I will just list some names, and see your responses; Adam (Nerfdude), Tedman, TBS (The Beatdown Station), Code, Felspar, Ozzy, ::cough::Eric::cough::, The Reverend, Knights of Silicon Valley, Avatar, Shortshit..... just a few....
~Famine
of Mag-7
East Coast Nerf 2005: Step It Up.
East Coast Nerf 2006: That's more like it.
East Coast Nerf 2007: I'm not driving to Massachusetts again.
East Coast Nerf 2008: Day of Regret.
East Coast Nerf 2009: Quid pro quo, douchebags!

#40 Raecroft

Raecroft

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 09:22 PM

Hmmm I know about half of those names because I was a lurker online for a long time till I became active. I've only been around since NO and with al there knowledge and verbal smackdowns on trolls I gotta say the horsemen nerfdude evil (yes evil remeber I was a nOOb online) and other "legends" (or forgotten legends) scared the shit outta me. But really I don't see a reason for all this Famine just posted a good natured article and it started to mutate. bleh.

Oh BTW in the movie batman has anti-shark repellent so wouldn't that attract sharks?
"You laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you are all the same".-anynomous

#41 NerfManiac

NerfManiac

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 02:26 AM

I thought This topic was dead!!! What the Hell happened????
You use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.
- Taggart (Blazing Saddles)

#42 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 03:17 AM

.... uhh.. I think someone posted. You follow me?

VACC

#43 NerfManiac

NerfManiac

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 08:10 PM

Nobody posted from Feb 1 to Feb 20. You see what I mean VACC.
You use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.
- Taggart (Blazing Saddles)

#44 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 09:09 PM

Oh BTW in the movie batman has anti-shark repellent so wouldn't that attract sharks?

Well, you see, it was the 50's, and techn... NO!

*Runs and hides from the blinding light of modern logic*
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#45 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 11:01 AM

Can no one make a humorous reference without being attacked anymore? Damn.
Name's Ash, Housewares

#46 Khail

Khail

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 11:06 AM

10) You think that a "SS2" is blue not red and should be banded.

Quick question about that. Ever since the Secret Shot 2 came out, has it ever been agreed upon to use SSII for the Sharpshooter II? That's what it looks like on the label.

#47 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 09:15 PM

Wow, most of those apply to me! BTW, Goo is doing just fine down in Texas where he moved, :-( oh how I miss him! B)
~SS

#48 Goo

Goo

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 08:01 AM

Has anyone heard from Code recently? For that matter, any of the old nerflist members who fell out of the community?

As for why this is my first post, even though I registered when this site was in it's early creation, I haven't touched my nerf guns for a while... hell, I haven't even unpacked my nerf guns since I moved to Texas, and that was about 6 months ago. I've been in Texas for half a year... Damn...

I suppose if there was an Armageddon or something, I'd manage to fly myself out there and proceed to suck worse than I had ever sucked previously.

Maybe I'll become active again... the disease that is online forums is back into my system, so who knows...

#49 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 03:59 PM

Welcome back Goo. There will be an Armageddon this summer.

You in Texas for college or what?
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#50 Goo

Goo

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 09:21 PM

Welcome back Goo. There will be an Armageddon this summer.

You in Texas for college or what?

I'm in Texas because I didn't really get into college, and that's where my parents moved... though I am taking classes at UT... so uh... I'll do my best to make it out for Armageddon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users