Photo

Nerf World Order

81 replies to this topic

#51 N3maN

N3maN

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:02 PM

A good way to make noobs think a little before doing anything stupid would be to have a short, like 1-2week, probationary period in which they can access forums, but cannot post or start new topics. Hopefully this would force unpon them the ideals we want in NH, and give them the gist (jist?) of what to, and what not to do before acctually posting.
Just a thought,
N3

#52 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • State:Indiana

Posted 07 January 2005 - 12:02 AM

I'd have to agree with Fuse. I joined this site (first acting like a dumbass, sorry to say) wanting to increase my "fun" and because ompa sparked my interest. If I want to post a new idea, I won't care how much respect I get for it. The whole reason why we have forums online is so that we don't have to post picket signs saying "Nerfers meet at 2200 Elm Beet Street at 4:30 PM to discuss, well, nerf guns!"

If you guys are going to act like the karma system is just a way to gain popularity(like some people believe about the post count) then I'd rather it wasn't implemented.

N3 I think you were expanding on what I suggested earlier, but I think that's a bit radical. To be honest, I joined because I just wanted to make sure I was modding my sm1500 correctly (browsing the forums, like some of you should try doing) and ended up being interested in a helluva lot of other things. However, if I joined because I had a great idea, in two weeks I might forget it. So I think people who join should get to post.

AA
Indiana '11

#53 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 07 January 2005 - 02:10 PM

I just realized that between now, and the initilization of karma NerfHaven is going to die.

Anyone smart enough to start an intelligent thread will probably wait until Karma starts so that they can get the karma points(?) from the thread.

So the only new threads that pop up will probably be chock full of hot spicy noobage.

It's like we're pumping stupid gas into their cages.....

#54 rusty

rusty

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 03:02 PM

It's like we're pumping stupid gas into their cages.....

I thought the air smelled funny

#55 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 01:41 PM

To Cxwq and whom it may concern,

You have my full support. I would love to see a new system imposed here, even if it's just to change this forum around a little bit from what it has always been. Change is good, I can't wait to see it. I also can't wait to see some people here who think they are great get low Karma points. ^_^

As for the new members. I'm not positive how the Karma system does infact work, but if blocking new members (atleast temporarily) will help lighten your load, I'm for it.

I honestly think that "scouting" and essay contests are not the right way to get people into NH. The NH border should be a solid, steel door, not one with a doggy flap. If you want new members, open the registration. If you don't, close it.

My last two cents, (I spent the rest on new snowboard stuff)
Ryan Hunter.

Edited by Hunter, 08 January 2005 - 01:45 PM.

Hunter
Organizer Vancouver Area Nerf Series

#56 cerealkiller

cerealkiller

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 04:03 PM

I think the karma system is good, but

The NH border should be a solid, steel door, not one with a doggy flap.

Thats wrong. If you close the doors then it discourages new people to come into nerf. I'm sure we all want nerf to grow into an olympic sport (atleast me ^_^ ). Correct me if im wrong Cxwq but I thought NH was a place where people get help on modding, ask questions, share ideas, sell guns, and meet other people that share a common hobby. Going out and searching for good people isn't a good idea. What about the people that aren't elite just want to join this community(like me) New people is what keeps nerf alive. Cxwq I think that you should have something to tell the people that want to sign up during this time to wait, explaining them the karma system being introduced.

Edited by cerealkiller, 08 January 2005 - 04:04 PM.

Kids in the captian crunch Cereal comercial:
"NERFITIZE ME CAPTIAN!!!"

#57 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 06:59 PM

I think the karma system is good, but

The NH border should be a solid, steel door, not one with a doggy flap.

Thats wrong. If you close the doors then it discourages new people to come into nerf. I'm sure we all want nerf to grow into an olympic sport (atleast me ^_^ ). Correct me if im wrong Cxwq but I thought NH was a place where people get help on modding, ask questions, share ideas, sell guns, and meet other people that share a common hobby. Going out and searching for good people isn't a good idea. What about the people that aren't elite just want to join this community(like me) New people is what keeps nerf alive. Cxwq I think that you should have something to tell the people that want to sign up during this time to wait, explaining them the karma system being introduced.

God you suck. i'm going to say this so vacc and cxwq don't have to say it a fifth time.

This website does not care about introducing new people to the sport of nerf. You are correct, new people is what keeps nerf alive, and those new people will simply go to the other forums for now.

It was members of this forums, not the administrators, who mentioned anything about scouting. The administration of these forums do not promote scouting, so stop arguing for or against it. Your last post is a moot point, because any fucking retard can read the very first thing on the main page, which for you and i at this moment, happens to be the first post of this thread.

to everyone else: stop posting in this thread, read every fucking comment and every fucking response before you prove that you're retarded by posting. nothing you say will change cxwq or vacc's mind.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#58 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 08 January 2005 - 09:42 PM

Ok time for my 2 cents...

First off, last time I checked, we were members of this PRIVATE site. Unless NH is a publicly traded entity, (NASDAQ symbol NHUS) then we have no say in what CX and Vacc wish to do to THEIR site. We simply joined it out of wanting a place to be. Since it's their site, we can only join, or choose to leave. So shut the fuck up about how much of a good or bad idea this is.

Now, the H vs. HQ issue. Most of you should know my stance on that. I left the HQ over the fact that I felt at the time it would fall in on itself. TIS left as well as a myriad of other moderators due to the fact that fucking retards were abusing the boards and we were tired of cleaning up the stupid shit. It is WAY the fuck beyond me how Talio has stuck it out this long. And he brings me to my next point.

Those of you who say the Haven is shooting itself in the foot are completely backasswards. If they limit regesistration and implement karma they wil be raising board members who will do the community good. A lot of people who have gained respect like Talio, BoltSniper, and 3DBBQ have followed the rules and posted accordinly. As a matter of fact, I don't think 3D even speaks english and that motherfucker has more coherent posts then some I have read on HQ. Bottom line, if NH tightens its belt, it is only going to produce better quality NIC members.

I may sound like an elitist douche bag, and I don't care. New people are good, but any good Nerfer always goes back over their stuff to find improvements. I think I'm going to wrap it up here, and save myself from just spewing out more profanity.

The only thing is this,

YOU DON'T LIKE IT, THEN GET THE FUCK OUT!
I hate you.

#59 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:54 PM

I applaud your decision CX. As far as I'm concerned NH was founded as an elitist society so, fuck the masses. I wouldn't even reenstate open registration, I'd probably opt for some sort of sponsership system where a recognized member of the community in good standing has to vouch for someone before they can post. Then again I'm generally a bastard who has little to no patience for most of these people.

Those of you who are worried about these recent turn of events obviously don't remember much from NO. This type of slash and burn is exactly what a forum needs to stay strong and continue to grow in a healthy manor. By the time CX implements Karma you're going to have a larger, stronger, base of core members to welcome in the filthy horde of inepts who are usually scratching at the gates here.

Until then, I will continue to stockpile well written and informative essays on my hard drive that I will only post once Karma is complete. Why wait? Because my divine thoughts are SO fucking precious that I only take the time to share them with the other members of this Nobel-prize winning brain trust if I'm to recieve some sort of digital score points for them. Pricks.

5 Digital Asshole points to whomever can accurately highlight which portions of my post are sarcastic and which are not!
~Famine
of Mag-7
East Coast Nerf 2005: Step It Up.
East Coast Nerf 2006: That's more like it.
East Coast Nerf 2007: I'm not driving to Massachusetts again.
East Coast Nerf 2008: Day of Regret.
East Coast Nerf 2009: Quid pro quo, douchebags!

#60 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:41 AM

These are all good points, especially the ones telling other people to shut the fuck up.

VACC

#61 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 02:48 AM

By the time CX implements Karma you're going to have a larger, stronger, base of core members.

A larger memberbase only if people realize that the only way to get in currently is to send Vacc a Penthouse Forum letter in the form of an Nerf essay. Otherwise I have no clue how the group will magically grow and strengthen through having its lifeblood cut.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#62 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:48 PM

THE CHILDREN!!! WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Chill out, this is not the end of the world. Cxwq and I don't WANT a larger member base; we're only interested in a stronger one. The Karma system is the impliment we plan to achieve that goal with. It's simple as that. And above all IT'S NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL! Seriously folks, it's all good.

VACC

#63 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 03:03 PM

I haven't posted in this thread yet, and I feel I should...

HA!

That's all I have to say.
Name's Ash, Housewares

#64 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 03:58 PM

By the time CX implements Karma you're going to have a larger, stronger, base of core members (....) Pricks. 

I felt it was neccessary to quote myself. I even took the extra step to emphasize the work "core" this time, for those of you who are unable to read and comprehend a complete statement. I didn't say the number of total members would increase, just the number of core members.

This temporary secession from the general public will allow the site to reenforce its foundations, it will allow the newer members to truly benefit from the more seasoned posters without being constantly interupted by P41nT8411z ru13z posts. Meanwhile the Veteran posters will be free to exchange ideas without stopping to correct every grammatical error posted by the 'newb of the week'.

So you see children, in the end this will be a good thing. At the very least the site will be reforged purer and stronger. Or, most of you will wander away when you realize that you never really had anything inciteful to contribute here and that without a constant influx of morons to flame, your daily post count will drop below 88.2 which was the only accomplishment in your life which you could be proud of.
~Famine
of Mag-7
East Coast Nerf 2005: Step It Up.
East Coast Nerf 2006: That's more like it.
East Coast Nerf 2007: I'm not driving to Massachusetts again.
East Coast Nerf 2008: Day of Regret.
East Coast Nerf 2009: Quid pro quo, douchebags!

#65 Davis

Davis

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:23 PM

...so fucking happy I got in before this came into effect :lol:
QUOTE ("Devious")
2. Laugh like a maniac as you pummel them with your balls.

#66 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:29 PM

What luck. Is this Davis from NHQ? With the freaky av?
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#67 Davis

Davis

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:35 PM

What luck. Is this Davis from NHQ? With the freaky av?

Yes, we are one in the same :o Can't figure out how to do avatars on Invision though......
QUOTE ("Devious")
2. Laugh like a maniac as you pummel them with your balls.

#68 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 10:21 PM

Can't figure out how to do avatars on Invision though......

NHQ and NH are the same, they both use Invision phpBB boards, just they use different available features and components [for example NH has the quick login, while others have quick reply], so it shouldn't be harder than on NHQ.

But if you are talking about a custom avatar, they have been disallowed [or never were allowed?] and are only attainable by moderators, contributors and contest winners.

#69 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:28 PM

Actually, NHQ uses phpBB and we use Invision (for the time being) which are two entirely different forums.

We most likely won't be using Invision in two or three months however since the company has decided to start charging for new versions and even security patches.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#70 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:32 PM

Actually, NHQ uses phpBB and we use Invision (for the time being) which are two entirely different forums.

Okay, i often confuse the two. I do, however, like the options provided by Invision though. I don't use the quick login as i'm permanantly logged in, but the quick search is handy.

We most likely won't be using Invision in two or three months however since the company has decided to start charging for new versions and even security patches.

Why not keep the forums at this version and not upgrade to their shitty updates?

#71 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:00 AM

I'm concerned about continuing to develop on a platform which I have zero support for. Security issues involving forum software are not uncommon so I'd like to switch to a package which is released under some sort of open source license where the user base can support themselves.

The lifetime license for Invision is $185 which, despite being well beyond what I'd like to pay for this labor of love, is a pretty reasonable price. My only concern is that the licensing change at Invision could be a sign of a company on its way down.

phpBB, incidentally, is the leading open source forum package so that is the most likely choice for NH.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#72 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:50 PM

My pants are aflame with concern!

#73 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 04:56 PM

My pants are aflame with concern!

It's posts like that that make it all worthwhile.
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

#74 mayhem

mayhem

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 05:09 PM

This is how I feel about the situation.

I joined NHQ about a year ago, and I'd like to think that (most of) my posts there were/are contributing posts. A couple of months ago I decided to join NerfHaven. I haven't posted much (one of the reasons is because I get worried about wether my post willbe useful or not.)

Which brings me to what I've noticed. I know many people have noticed that NH is quite a bit more aggressive than NHQ towards unintelligent posts (and people). BUT, NHQ has so many more posts (average) in one day than NH. Granted, most of them aren't intelligent, but on an average I read about 15 posts at NHQ a day that I find helpful, informative or funny... At NH there can be days that there are merely 3 to 6 posts, which I don't necessarily find usefull, intelligent or funny...

So what I'm trying to say is: Wanting to have elite members, intelligent contributions and helpful information is great, absolutley fantastic. But Limiting the amount of members could make this forum less interesting, not only for "noob", but also for contributing members. I hope I can count myself as one of them.

less members = less posts/threads = less interest

As a personal experiance as an example: I haven't visited the Haven in about 4 days, why ? Because I don't expect to find enough to satisfy my "nerf"-curiosity. ON the other hand I do visit NHQ on a daily basis, because I think I'll find something interesting, which I usualy do.

But I'd like to end by saying, it's not my site, I don't have a choice, just an opinion.

#75 Chessler

Chessler

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 06:05 PM

less members = less posts/threads = less interest

You better do the math again. Something isn't right about that.

Less members must not mean less interest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users