Photo

Nintendo Ds

57 replies to this topic

#26 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 10:43 PM

You can see all of the DS's great features and technical specs at the Nintendo DS website. www.nintendods.com

All of you who think the PSP is better, read this article:
http://www.nintendon...764052626a0a034

Edited by Renegade, 25 November 2004 - 11:08 PM.

#27 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 11:09 PM

Already read all of those, I was looking for more or less first-hand opinions, even though I realize they may be subjective. Thanks guys.

~ompa

#28 DJ Hurley

DJ Hurley

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 11:45 PM

I've owned a PS and a PS2 for years, never any problems. It's just a matter of mistreatment. And for all we know, that artical is the People Magazine of gaming. It's all rumors. Fucking pathetic gossip.
Seriously, just wait till they are both released. No one can say shit on past attempts and compare it to now.
I mean, several of those facts might be true, but hey, it has to start somewhere. They're doing something no company has tried before. For instance, the DS is something no one has tried before. It's unique with a new feature such as the dual screen. The PSP is unique with having computer-like compatibility and capabilities. Whatever it is, I'm saving my money for the discounts, and the better games. Not to mention when the real facts come in.
Nice artical though, kinda entertaining, kinda sad. :w00t:
NERF CITY
You're a dipshit, stop posting.
I'll let you know when you can start again.
Yes, I'm serious. ~Cxwq

#29 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:53 AM

Touching Is Good

Errrrrrrrr. Yeah. You'd think they could have done better.

As for the codec issues, with that much of a hard-drive and computer interface, you'll be able to upload the codecs straight onto it and install them, just as my brother does for his X-Boxes.

I really think the gaming/tech industry is going to by severely limited with these current dead-pixel problems. I mean, they are few and far between, but the returns policies dont cover them for monitors and such, and for lack of a better alternative, future progress is going to be pretty hindered by that.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#30 Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 10:00 AM

Ok, I own every current console and every handheld video game system except for that linux thing, NeoGeo, and N-Gage(and were trying to say that the DS and PSP are bad) I have a DS and can tell you that pretty much everything about it is good. The games are solid, the system doesn't break easily (I dropped it twice on concrete allready), the touch screen idea is brilliant, and MPH and M64 are both awesome. Mario 64 DS is cool because it has all the original stuff but also has more stars to get.

Playstation sucks balls. The PS2 is the crappiest piece of shit ever made. I have one and after buying it and playing for a week it started having problems. The games don't start right, the system is slow, all kinds of craph. The only good game outside of GTA is FF which even that has gone down the drain. I don't see why the PSP would be much better. Basically all of its features require extra cash. The PSP is basically a PDA with a large screen that has sold seperately games. The DS is j a gaming handheld with solid design, a cool touch screen, and wireless mutiplayer.

Simply put. Neither will blow the other out but the DS is better in the gaming department but doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the PSP. I give the edge to the DS simply because of the money pit the PSP is going to be.

Edited by Jin Kazama, 26 November 2004 - 12:14 PM.

Webmaster of Ultima Nerf

#31 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 10:40 AM

Being the usual cheap bastard looking for functionality and modding potential in game systems, I think I'm just going to wait a while for the prices to go down, and more games become available. Despite the cheesy stylus for the DS, I am still leaning towards it when it comes to next-gen handhelds. I heard they may come out with a Civilization game for the DS, and the new Advance Wars game looks like it may be pretty good. Until I see some better kickass games for the DS or PSP, neither company is getting my money that I should be using to pay bills.

I have both the PS2 and Xbox. I think both have some pretty good games, but I like my Xbox better because of the wonderful piece of hardware called a modchip. With emulators on the Xbox, you can actually make use of the hard drive space. Too bad I can't go on Xbox Live with it, though. At least there's always XB Connect.

I have an NES-style GBA SP, and I do not regret plunking down 100 bucks for it at the time. With the kickass games for the Advance, Nintendo really gives you your money's worth when it comes to handhelds. I'm pretty excited about what they will come out with next.

Edited by Oroku_Saki, 26 November 2004 - 10:40 AM.

"Do you like gladiator movies, Johnny?"

#32 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 11:34 AM

You can see all of the DS's great features and technical specs at the Nintendo DS website. www.nintendods.com

Look at the site name. I can bet money it's biased towards Nintendo. I'm just hoping Sony solves the battery problem before it's initial release in the US; that's the main thing hindering me from buying it. The PSP really doesn't have any features that the DS doesn't, although the DS's games blows the PSP selection out of the water.

And CNN, fairly recent, states a Japan release of $186, and since it's commonplace for prices to drop once released in America, I'm guessing at less than $186, which isn't horrible. I'll probably end up getting a DS, simply because of the battery life. But if Sony fixes that, I'm for the PSP.

~ompa

#33 Diego

Diego

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 02:06 PM

Look at the site name. I can bet money it's biased towards Nintendo.

Exactly my thoughts.

--Diego
Member of the Chaos Brigade. Home to the Elite Iowa Nerfers.

Known to the clan as Jester.

#34 Precision

Precision

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 02:33 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I wish I had the money to buy the DS. It's got such tight games (I drool over "Metroid Prime Hunters") it's got a remake of super mario 64 where you can play as Yoshi :w00t: makes me nostalgic remembering getting those 120 stars and shooting Mario out of a cannon to talk to Yoshi. I'll wait until the price goes down, and then buy it. I like the Gamecube for the games like Mario and Metroid, I like the PS2 because it gets all the good fighting games, and I like the Xbox for three games: Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3 (I know Halo 3 isn't out yet but it's coming soon) :P and I'll be making homebrew games for the DS if they release a flash memory cartridge.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Precision, 26 November 2004 - 02:35 PM.

Headshot every time....

#35 VoLT

VoLT

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 02:58 AM

...What is wrong with you people? I really thought the people here had enough style not to take the path of the fanboy. Even if you hate x console, is there really a reason to bring it up here? You're just gonna look like a jackass in somebody's eyes, and you sure as hell aren't gonna change any minds. And while I love Nintendo as much as the next guy, that "Nintendo Now" article is just bullshit. When you start writing articles attacking the product of the company you hate for no reason for a group of moron teenagers with myopia, go look for a job.
Well, whatever. The DS looks great. I played Hunters for a few minutes at my local GameStop and was pretty impressed just by the aiming. I can't wait to see more FPSes made for it. The PSP... I'm not too sure on. I'm liking its extra features and sleek design, but its game selection hasn't pleased me at all. Until I see some Ratchet & Clank or GTA action on it, I'll hold my dough.
"Don't hate the little man cuz he's packing a six shooter!" - midget from GTA: San Andreas

My username is a good example of what happens when you leave caps lock on.

#36 Bad Karma

Bad Karma

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 10:07 AM

I'm happy with my pc....
Da BK 02: well...I just wanted to tell you...since your going to be dieing...I 've always hated you...and I mean that
TheTalio: Fuck you...I still love you

#37 DJ Hurley

DJ Hurley

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 04:25 PM

I'm happy with my pc....

In the end, the PC is the thing that made them all. Your right. The PC is great because you can go on the internet! And download, and mod games, and listen to music, and play against millions of people in thousands of games, not to mention go to this website. PC wins.
But wait this topic was about handheld games.

Just wait in 5-10 maybe 20 years or so, there will be a Pocket PC, not a PDA or PalmOne or anything, but something... cool along those lines.

But Volt I agree, FPS games for handheld systems kick ass. That was the only reason I bought my GBA. Duke Nukem, Doom, Ecks Vs. Sever 2, they had a lot. They we're all too easy though, and had the same thing going ine ach one. Except I think Doom 2 let you play Co-op. So FPS's on a handheld system is a plus.
NERF CITY
You're a dipshit, stop posting.
I'll let you know when you can start again.
Yes, I'm serious. ~Cxwq

#38 MattPaintballer

MattPaintballer

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 05:02 PM

because it's Microsoft, and they are god.

Everything else you said, I agree with. I just don't think that M$ is "god."

About gaming, I'm not a gaming freak, but I like the GTA series :unsure:. I have played San Andreas and it's a pretty good game, but IMO it's not worth $50. I wouldn't pay anything more than $20 for it.

But umm, like BK said, I'm happy with my PC.

DJ you avatar theif! just kidding.

Edited by MattPaintballer, 27 November 2004 - 05:02 PM.

"I think politicians are much more irritating than hippies."
"the56ace,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you."
-cxwq
If ignorance is bliss, our president must be ecstatic.

#39 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 06:00 PM

M$

Hmm, you might be enlightened by this little nugget of joy.

Microsoft is god. God is created by and given power by man. Money is exactly the same. Money has become a type of god. A company as rich as MS; yeah, they're god. Im not sure anyone meant in a good way.
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

#40 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 06:07 PM

Sorry to bring up an older topic, but the people at Sony have released alot of data on the PSP. The price tag will be around $200 and the battery will last around 4-6 hours of continuous play with screen brightness on maximum, the sound on medium, and without wireless LAN play. Puzzle games will last longer than games like Ridge Racer. The creator Ken Kutaragi expects the PSP to have battery life up to 14 hours in the future.

#41 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 08:11 PM

Sorry to bring up an older topic, but the people at Sony have released alot of data on the PSP. The price tag will be around $200 and the battery will last around 4-6 hours of continuous play with screen brightness on maximum, the sound on medium, and without wireless LAN play. Puzzle games will last longer than games like Ridge Racer. The creator Ken Kutaragi expects the PSP to have battery life up to 14 hours in the future.

Only $200? That's simply awesome.

On the G-Prime site they mentioned that the PSP is available from Japan right now. You simply buy it and ship it, change the language without a fuss, and the games arn't area restricted or anything. But unfortunately its media [DVD's] are. Uploading a codec would fix that in two seconds.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#42 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 08:31 PM

Just an opinion question; does anyone here think the battery life will be improved before the PSP's release in the US? I believe if it was, and was advertised, it would dramatically increase sales.

Plus, it'd make me buy one.

~ompa

#43 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 10:04 PM

If not, probably shortly after. They did a short thing-a-ma-jig on The Screensavers the other day (yesterday?) with the PSP. Apparently it completely blew the DS away. Score one point for Sony. Now about that battery problem...
Spectre of the CFM

#44 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 10:09 PM

The one thing currently holding the DS above the PSP in my book is the touch pad. Im a big shooter fan (being a PC gamer mainly) and after playing the Metroid demo I have to say that touch pad works. It makes FPS gaming completely intuitive. I like the Metroid DS controls over any console shooter yet. I'm very impressed.

#45 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:16 PM

The DS's touch pad is GREAT for FPS's. I can't wait till they make more FPS's for the DS. :ph34r:

#46 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:56 PM

In my opinion, this is pretty cool, but I'm gonna hold off on the major spending on systems for a bit. You see, they've had this breakthrough where this guy attached this thing onto his head, and was able to draw a circle on a computer using his mind.

Now its nothing real special, but in 5 years just imagine where the gaming world will take it...

AA
Indiana '11

#47 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 07:02 PM

You saw that article too? Only problem is that it will probably take a while and you would have to practice a lot to master the controls probably. I'm probably going to get the PSP, my only problem with it is it is going to be released quite late, and I'm not good at waiting.
Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#48 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 07:30 PM

When it comes to the PSP, I would recommend waiting until they come out with a better battery for it. With all this high-end stuff for it, I don't like the 6 hour battery life. I wonder how long it will go while using the WI-FI connection?
"Do you like gladiator movies, Johnny?"

#49 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 10:30 PM

In my opinion, this is pretty cool, but I'm gonna hold off on the major spending on systems for a bit. You see, they've had this breakthrough where this guy attached this thing onto his head, and was able to draw a circle on a computer using his mind.

Now its nothing real special, but in 5 years just imagine where the gaming world will take it...

AA

The military has been working on similar tech for a long time. They have been using that kind of tech to control flight sims in hopes that some day pilots will be able to fly without physical input.

Nintendo has announced they will be brining MP3 and MPEG4 support to the DS and GBA systems via a memory cart. Article here.

#50 Nerfnewbie

Nerfnewbie

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:20 AM

The DS graphics are awsome.The touch screen is hard to use on the Metroid game but otherwise it rocks!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < )

Behold. Helping Bunny on his way, one signiture at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users