Photo

Tape On Darts?

18 replies to this topic

#1 Whatitis

Whatitis

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:06 PM

Has anyone ever tried putting packaging tape around darts? I did this for some pink ones and the range was terrific in my cpvc at2k (95-100 ft).
What?! No! I sell propane!

#2 southpaw

southpaw

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:11 PM

I used to do that when i was younger when my whistler darts would get holes. I also think i read in a mod at NHQ that someone recommended putting scotch tape on darts.

Edited by southpaw, 26 October 2004 - 07:14 PM.

Sup?

#3 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:15 PM

Packing tape works the best. I dont do it, but the few darts my brother did it too worked better in some guns.

THIRST
ko

#4 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • State:Indiana

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:20 PM

W-is, is you're at2k singled or multi? Either way...I'll be testing some out. Maybe I can finally hit that 100 that I've been trying to get with my sm1500.
Indiana '11

#5 Whatitis

Whatitis

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:21 PM

My at2k is multibarreled.

#6 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:21 PM

Are you talking about stock or stefans?

~ompa

#7 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • State:Indiana

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:22 PM

Ok. Next batch of darts are definately being tested.
Indiana '11

#8 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:48 PM

It lowers the Kinetic Frictional force of the dart. That way, intended motion of the object is less opposed. Friction is parrallel to the surface, rather than perpendicular like the normal force, so it has an effect on the Velocity of the dart because it doesn't oppose Normal Force but the intended motion of the object.

</physics>
Tyranny Response Team

#9 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:54 PM

This would only work with air guns then, since putting tape on the dart would reduce the friction needed to hold the dart with nested barrels for cocking guns.

~ompa

#10 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:02 PM

That is a negatory. We can still use barrel constrictions. Like, using smaller barrel sizes.
Tyranny Response Team

#11 Whatitis

Whatitis

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 09:03 PM

The darts I'm talking about are stefans. Are you guys saying that tape on darts helps or hurts air guns?

#12 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 05:03 AM

If you put on the tape right, it willl create more pressure, thus increasing power and range. In my experience, I have found electrical tape to work quite nicely, but I don't tape my stefans often as it can be labor-intensive.
"Do you like gladiator movies, Johnny?"

#13 Ender

Ender

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 08:10 AM

Also keep in mind the way you are placing the tap on the darts. By placing it lengthwise on the dart it makes placing the dart easier in the barrel; however, it may give you less of a seal in looser barrels if your overlaps donít match up. Or if you are going around the shaft in a circular layering motion this will give you a better seal, but your dart is grained one way or the other depending on your start and finish. In my experience it is better length wise cause it is a hell of a lot quicker just make sure you match up your lines.

#14 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 01:14 PM

If you put on the tape right, it willl create more pressure, thus increasing power and range. In my experience, I have found electrical tape to work quite nicely, but I don't tape my stefans often as it can be labor-intensive.

I used to use electrical tape too.

When I first started modifying Nerf blasters, I bought the wrong sized FBR for my barrel material (1/2" FBR, 1/2" sch40 PVC). Out of necessity, I went ahead and used various colored e-tape to bring the diameter of the dart to fit the PVC pipe, and the result was tremendous!

The friction coefficent of e-tape is obviously less than raw foam (as in 5/8" FBR in 1/2" PVC), so the air guns we were using (SM1500s) worked really well. I later found out that what I had was a variant of the "Zero Dart" (1/2" FBR with a craft foam sheet collar) that by design was similar.

I also found out, by experience, that these taped darts didn't work so hot in the spring powered (EaB, Sawtooth, SharpShooter II) blasters.

The only other disadvantage is that through continued use, the adhesive from the e-tape leeches it's way out, and there is a slight residue build up in the barrel. Cleaning with WD-40 (the barrel) solves that.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#15 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 03:43 PM

I found that in my crossbow, the taped darts performed better. I due this to the cpvc barrel-too small for darts, and the fact that I had reduced the diameter of the foam when applying the tape.

It's way too labor intensive to make a few hundred for the DC guys everytime we want to nerf.
Tyranny Response Team

#16 Whatitis

Whatitis

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 03:55 PM

For you guys who said you put electric tape on your darts, was that the kind that surrounds the entire dart or just the collar?

#17 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 05:07 PM

For mine, it was simply a collar at the front of the dart. Just like a Zero dart, but with tape instead of foam sheet.

I think there's a picture somewhere in "Homemades" if you need clarification. But I think you have the idea.

The other neat thing about e-tape collars on darts, is it makes a neat, round welt when you get smacked at close range. No doubting a hit.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#18 Whatitis

Whatitis

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 07:18 PM

It also comes in different colors, such yellow, making it easier to find stefans.

#19 Ender

Ender

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 10:21 AM

When I did it to mine I used packing tape since it comes in larger sizes and did the whole dart in one layer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users