Solenoid Valve Help

can you run it off batties?

13 replies to this topic

#1 slowpotato

slowpotato

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 05:10 PM

Im new to nerf, but i have been making homemades for a little while. I resently have been working on a homemade useing a solenoid sprinkler valve, but i have been having trouble getting it to work. Does anybody have any experience with solenoid valves that could help me? Is it possible to run the solenoid valve off of 9v batteries? I bought a rain bird 3/4 in. automatic sprinkler valve. There is a picture of it at this link: http://www.rainbird....s/valves/cp.htm

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 05:22 PM

You need to use 3 9v batteries wired in series.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#3 slowpotato

slowpotato

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 06:31 PM

i wired 3 9v batteries together and the valve doesn't seem to open all the way as if it doesnt have enough voltage to open it. I get the same effect with 3 9v batteries wired in a series as i do with 1 9v battery. on the side of the valve i noticed it says 24v AC 50/60 HC. I guess i need 24 volts to get it to work properly.

#4 BlueSmudge

BlueSmudge

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:28 PM

first off, three 9v is more than than 24v. I think you also need a momentary switch in the curcuit. If you can find out WTF that is, tell me please. But try it anyways.

#5 slowpotato

slowpotato

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:59 PM

I think you meant a momentary contact switch, or a pushbutton switch. It's just a switch where you press a buton down for as long as you want a flowing electric current then when you let go of the button the electric current stops. But it shouldn't matter if i connect the batteries directly to the valve or if i add a switch to the cercuit, its stilll getting electric current. Whatever ill try it anyways.
http://www.radioshac.....15_002&Page=1 the link has several pictures of momentary contact and pushbutton switches.

EDIT: The valve lets air through but very little, it's like air going through a coffee straw, is this normal?

Edited by slowpotato, 31 August 2004 - 09:40 PM.

#6 Murdock

Murdock

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 09:33 PM

I know its no help, but I thought I'd post anyways... I tried a solenoid a couple years ago and no matter what I did I could never get it to work. This was back when Greg and LG (I think?) were doing a lot of solenoid guns and I followed everything they said and never got it to do anything but make a clicking noise. I think I'll head to Home Depot soon and pick up another one, as well as some new fittings.. I think I'm getting back into el homemades ^_^

#7 slowpotato

slowpotato

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 09:45 AM

thats the same thing it does with mine it makes a clicking noise when I turn it on and another clicking noise when i turn it off. Did you ever attach your valve to a tank? Because i think the solenoid valves are like a locks or something, when you give it power it unlocks, but then it would need pressure to open the valve all the way. I returned the 2 rainbird solenoid valves i had and bought and orbit one at home depot but now im having a different problem. When i pump it up the air leaks out the other side when i get above like 10 p.s.i. So It's almost like a pressure release valve, i cant pump it above 10 p.s.i. without it leaking.

#8 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 11:36 AM

I'm not sure if this will help much, but check out the following link. I've recommended it before to some friends and they have got it to work.

http://www.geocities...valvesoupup.htm

#9 slowpotato

slowpotato

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 05:16 PM

I might try that later, but i have a few questions. How does the air compressor valve open the solenoid valve, wouldn't air just leak out the other side of the air compressor valve, and can you buy the air compressor valves at homedepot?

Edited by slowpotato, 05 September 2004 - 05:17 PM.

#10 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 06:29 PM

You can buy air compressor valves at Home Depot, but they are rather small. I don't know if the airflow through them is fast enough for Nerf. Their air delivery is les than a cheap hose nozzle. The two good sides are the price ($5) and the amount of pressure they can withstand (over 300 PSI).

I don't think the solenoid mod is meant to put the switch in the compressor nozzle. I think the mod is just supposed to bypass alot of useless internal space. Maybe giving better airflow?

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#11 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 08:07 PM

I don't really know if it improves performance. To me, that mod is valuable is because you will not need batteries to use a sprinkler valve. I have also heard bad things about repeatedly using the manual bleed, eventually it possibly will break the valve (this is only what I have heard however). I think it does improve performance though, it's somewhat implied by "soup up."

I'm not exactly sure what the mod does, ask at the Spudtech forums if you would like to know. Spudtech sells these modified valves for over $40, I'm sure they work just great. I don't think they're worth that much though.

My friend has used a modified valve he bought from them and from what I know, it fires when you press the button. That article recommends to get that valve from McMaster, and I've used them before, they're good, just a little pricey sometimes. I'd just follow the instructions.

#12 slowpotato

slowpotato

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 12:58 PM

Im probably just going to use a hose nozzle for now because i already returned my solenoid valve and bought a hose nozzle. That mod looks interesting, ill have to try it sometime.

I have also heard bad things about repeatedly using the manual bleed, eventually it possibly will break the valve (this is only what I have heard however).

Yeah in the instructions it says not to use that manual bleed constantly because it is only meant for troubleshooting and testing the valve.

Anyways thanks for all the help

#13 earl the bunny

earl the bunny

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 12:18 AM

Modifying the solenoid valve will increase the preformance of the valve by a lot and will allow you to place the air compressor/blow gun valve and where you want with some tubing.

How It Works:

In a soleniod valve there are three places for air. The tank, the barrel, and the air that is going to be released into the atmosphere. Some of the air in the tank will leak through a calibrated leek into the air that is going to be released. When the pressure is dropped from the the pressure to be released, the air in the tank is putting force on the seal of the diaphram, trying to exit through the opening. when the seal is broken the air will be released into the barrel.

#14 Murdock

Murdock

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 05:14 PM

Just thought I would post an update for anyone still having troubles with their valves...

I tried blowing through mine today and discovered that air goes right through it. I made the trip to Home Depot and picked out several similar valves of different brands. I blew through them all and discovered that none of them let air through except (ironically) the same model as the one I had bought a year ago (Toro in-line). Rainbird and Lawn Geenie both worked fine. I chose another Toro from the rack and it didn't let air through, so I exchanged my old one. I took it home and hooked it onto my tank and it works fine, only problem being it has male threads instead of female. On the other hand, it is very small compared to the other brands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users