Photo

Hello? Is anyone there?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Hardly Ideal

Hardly Ideal

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 06:41 PM

Hey! I know this place has been a ghost town for a while, but I was thinking about the Reddit blackout.

Some folks are worried about it, like about how some smaller forums over there might go dark permanently and where people could go after. I wouldn't call r/Nerf "smaller," but the idea still bothers me.

Someone over on Bird Site even half joked that we never should've abandoned phpBB. I thought "hey, I think I know a few of those." But what are the chances of everyone really going back to that?

...are you sure this thing is on?

#2 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 11:48 PM

NH is very abandoned, yeah.  It's worth noting that Reddit is only one medium of info and you should diversify into Discord servers, FB groups, YT, blogs, Insta, etc.  There are plenty of very active platforms left for finding and exchanging information.  At this point, I don't think NH will stage a comeback tho, the hobby has changed too much.

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)
NYC Nerf Ops - Nerf in New York City itself
NJ Nerf Ops - Nerf in New Jersey
CT Nerf Ops - Nerf in Connecticut

UNO also has a Discord server, DM me on Discord to join (@vincentdrake)

-----------------------------------------------
My other groups:
Nerf Thrifters - A group for posting thrifts and other second-hand finds

#3 Hardly Ideal

Hardly Ideal

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 01:55 PM

What bothers me about Discord and other small groups like that are how they're difficult or impossible to search for. Reddit could turn up fairly well, but even a robust chat channel is just too ephemeral.

...are you sure this thing is on?

#4 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 12:17 PM

What bothers me about Discord and other small groups like that are how they're difficult or impossible to search for

That's always been the biggest problem with Discord, Slack, Teams, and any other chatroom based communication tool. They're good for realtime or near-realtime communication, but using them as a reference library is a kludge. Searching through multiple Nerf related Discord servers for information is not usually very quick of enlightening.

Reddit and Forums are not a panacea for searchability, but they can work a fair deal better for documenting hobby stuff. Discord and Reddit have the same problem of being proprietary platforms that are experiencing a lot of pressure to monetize, and lock away all this information. They ultimately don't care about the health of a subculture of fans and hobbyists.

The history of Nerfhaven does demonstrate some of the limitations of trying to run our own fansite. It's completely dependent on the goodwill and effort of a few people to keep it running, and is vulnerable to the forces of entropy that act against internet-facing services. A major example being: new user registrations being turned off for several years now, because of the relentless and overwhelming onslaught of spam accounts. And so the decision was made to basically just put NH into hibernation... but to preserve it as a library of it's era of Nerf hobby stuff. In that way, I think it has already proved itself more useful and durable than a lot of other Nerf social media, which is slowly
disappearing from history.

I'm hopeful that in the next few years someone will come up with a better social media solution for hobbyists, something that includes the real-time communication for Discord, the ability to post articles, the ability to have threaded conversations, media hosting, and for all that to be searchable and preservable.

#5 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 09:31 PM

Have any new anti-spambot tools popped up in the years since closing registration?  It is a shame that new players can't update NH with new content to preserve our current knowledge.  I do find myself coming back here more frequently to look things up, but it's a time capsule, nothing modern is available.

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)
NYC Nerf Ops - Nerf in New York City itself
NJ Nerf Ops - Nerf in New Jersey
CT Nerf Ops - Nerf in Connecticut

UNO also has a Discord server, DM me on Discord to join (@vincentdrake)

-----------------------------------------------
My other groups:
Nerf Thrifters - A group for posting thrifts and other second-hand finds

#6 skullface44

skullface44

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 September 2023 - 10:56 PM

Some are still active. I would like to see this forum used more. As a community we need to switch back to using forums over social media. It is a far superior format in every way compared to reddit, discord or Facebook. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users