Photo

Averaging shots for higher accuracy?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Xhosant

Xhosant

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:48 PM

It's generally accepted that nerf arms have such a bad accuracy that we don't even use the word 'grouping' (do we?) to describe it. That is because mechanisms and ammo are too full of subtle imperfections keeping the shots from being anywhere near identical.

So, I've been thinking: what if we had a way to average out those imperfections, could we get more accurate shots?

I am thinking, for example, 3 barrels shooting at the same time, with 3 darts tethered to each other. Could it be that, as one dart veers off left and another right, they would end up forced to follow their average trajectory, which would be closer to straight ahead?

#2 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 1,987 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:43 AM

I actually find that well-made darts can be quite accurate, accurate enough to consistently hit a small post from 50-ish feet away if I put some thought into aiming.

I am thinking, for example, 3 barrels shooting at the same time

You'll see this occasionally at wars, and it's fairly effective and difficult for your opponent to avoid. Another concept is "shotgunning", where you load several darts into the same barrel, and shoot them all at once. This gives you a spread of darts - exactly how much of a spread depends on the peculiarities of your setup, and the quality of your darts.

No idea how tethering your darts would work out, but it would probably be fairly straight-forward to glue some twine to the heads of several darts and stuff them all into the same barrel. I think they would end up tumbling through the air, though.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 23 November 2017 - 09:44 AM.

#3 Xhosant

Xhosant

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:57 PM

No idea how tethering your darts would work out, but it would probably be fairly straight-forward to glue some twine to the heads of several darts and stuff them all into the same barrel. I think they would end up tumbling through the air, though.

And that is exactly why it needs to be 3 parallel barrels, they need to drag their peers back on course, not into a backflip :P I suppose if there's a mod out there to make the Triad into a shotgun, that's the easiest way to test, but I don't own a triad or know of that mod...

#4 ToadBrews

ToadBrews

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • State:Ohio
  • Andrew Nagy on Youtube

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:13 PM

It's incredibly easy to make a triad (or any smart AR blaster) a shotgun. Remove the smart AR. done.

It shoots about 5-10 feet, but it's a shotgun!

#5 Xhosant

Xhosant

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:48 AM

Neat! Now we need a volunteer with a modded triad to measure the effect of tethering...

#6 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Contributors
  • 913 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/MeakerVI on Reddit

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

And that is exactly why it needs to be 3 parallel barrels, they need to drag their peers back on course, not into a backflip :P

You problem isnt just parallel, its also that each dart is likely to recieve more/less of the air pressure than the others and start a tumble that way, or one have more drag and start to tumble that way, or etc etc.

Really, to get a better average hit your best bet is to fire shotgun rounds with known-decent darts. Your next best is to spend hours researching all the tried & tested & theoretical means for improving dart accuracy and do the best you can to improve your blasters accuracy.

#7 Xhosant

Xhosant

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:23 AM

Isn't that what we're doing, emphasis on 'theoretical' this time around? :P

But you have a solid point on air distribution. It will have to be custom-made, with the 3 paths mirrored. So much for the easy way through.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users