Homemade airgun trigger

homemade airgun mjvo-3

8 replies to this topic

#1 Trashmouse

Trashmouse

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

Hello everybody. I've been trying to build an airgun recently and i've gotten stuck at the trigger. 

I dislike how a ball valve feels and looks, but i don't have the money for one of those fancy mjvo-3 valves.

Any ideas/tips for what i can use as a trigger mech?

#2 GensoNerf

GensoNerf

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:19 PM

You could try to make a homemade version of a Big Blast release mechanism.  A descent hardware store should provide the proper PVC and other parts.  If that would end up being a more costly solution, you could always just save money to buy the mjvo-3 valves.  

Aside from that, I suggest just walking up and down the aisles of your local hardware stores(assuming you have more than one) and try to get ideas from that.

#3 blitz

blitz

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:56 AM

Build something like this. Lowes and other hardware stores sell different check valves (the only ones I have access to are threaded, which is annoying) but making one of these is totally doable. Trigger, tank, pump, RSCB all in one compact package. 

http://nerfhaven.com...-the-mad-ghost/

Blitz, member of the FNBS
"sexual innuendo no intendo"

#4 thedom21

thedom21

• Members
  • 460 posts
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

WNTS or just a pvc check valve with the rod extended works great.

Edited by thedom21, 23 July 2017 - 10:27 AM.

Funny Irc moments

22:32 hookerninja I would just switch to 2 full 69's
22:32 hookerninja that would diddle shit

11:44 Zorn Her butt is too tiny even for limp 6th grade penis?
11:44 Zorn ergo the dildo

#5 laser

laser

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • State:Victoria

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:41 PM

the MJV0-3 is your best bet for a homemade airgun

#6 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,430 posts
  • State:California

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:02 PM

The MJVO-3 is a great valve, but it's really only useful for very specific builds of homemade airguns. You couldn't just "substitute" it into a build where you were going to use a ball valve as a trigger and have it work. It sounds like you had a specific design direction in mind; do you mind sharing details so we can better help you out?

I would second Blitz's suggestion of the Mad Ghost design using a PVC check valve, though, if you're not dead-set on something specific yet. There are also solenoid valves (like the one used in cxwq's BAMF design) that have manual bleeds that work like a ball valve but are much more ergonomic.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#7 Trashmouse

Trashmouse

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

The MJVO-3 is a great valve, but it's really only useful for very specific builds of homemade airguns. You couldn't just "substitute" it into a build where you were going to use a ball valve as a trigger and have it work. It sounds like you had a specific design direction in mind; do you mind sharing details so we can better help you out?

I would second Blitz's suggestion of the Mad Ghost design using a PVC check valve, though, if you're not dead-set on something specific yet. There are also solenoid valves (like the one used in cxwq's BAMF design) that have manual bleeds that work like a ball valve but are much more ergonomic.

I've mostly been looking at http://nerfhaven.com...ade-airgun-v10/ Which is your build Ice, but i haven't really built anything myself yet. 

I've been drawing and thinking of ideas because I'd rather not spend money on something that won't work. 

But the QEV blaster and the Madghost seem like what i want to make, which is a compact but decently powerfull air blaster

#8 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,430 posts
  • State:California

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:26 PM

I've been drawing and thinking of ideas because I'd rather not spend money on something that won't work. 

But the QEV blaster and the Madghost seem like what i want to make, which is a compact but decently powerfull air blaster

If cost is really a major concern, then building a Mad Ghost-style design is probably the best choice. The biggest challenge is making the trigger mechanism seal, and in the worst case where it doesn't, all you'd need to do is buy another 1/2" PVC tee/elbow. The fittings for a QEV blaster, even if you do it as cheaply as possible via Amazon products, are way more in cost without even including the MJVO-3.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#9 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • State:Utah

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:38 AM

If you're willing to consider using a back pressure style of tank (panther, xbz, big salvo, hornet...) you should be able to modify a shcrader valve stem from a bicycle tire inner-tube. simply pushing in the pin will vent the fill line to the tank and fire the tank. The threads on the valve stem might be useful for mounting the valve and you could also cut out some of the thread wall to guide a trigger bar over the schrader valve. You can also stretch some vinyl tubing over the back of the valve if you warm up the tubing first with a hair dryer (maybe), heat gun or carefully with a flame and double wrap a zip tie to seal it.

You might also want to consider the slightly less expensive MAVO-3. the cfm's are a little less but i've used them successfully on many of my air tank builds so they've proven sufficient for stock nerfy tanks (just keep the air line between the pump, trigger valve and air tank to a minimum. The shorter that line is, the faster it can vent and the sharper the tank's air release will be.

I don't know if the mjvo-3 will shut off the inlet before back venting the outlet but the mavo-3's will - which means they can be used to make a true semi auto. (they won't vent off your reserve tank with each trigger pull.)

https://www.amazon.c...keywords=mavo-3

Edited by shmmee, 26 July 2017 - 08:42 AM.

"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: homemade, airgun, mjvo-3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users