After a long period of dormancy with this hobby, I found myself drawn back to it. I bought a FalconFire on a whim and, after failing to find an existing mod (I wasn't looking especially hard), I came up up with my own.
(Yes, this image is upside-down, but by now this post has taken me longer than the actual mod did.)
The top-loading chamber was slow and seemed prone to damaging darts, so I wanted to change it if I could. And the trigger mechanism felt like an underwhelming Rube Goldberg machine.
Once I figured out what was inside the plunger the solution seemed pretty simple.
I knocked out the AR, which would've been much easier if I'd read up a bit more (instead of knocking it out with hammer and screwdriver I used a dozen tools to drill, clip, and yank it out without scuffing the plunger tube).
Glued the barrel to the tube.
Drilled a hole through the back end of the plunger with a 1/16 drill bit.
Threaded both ends of a strand of 30lb monofilament in through each end of the hole and out through the opening at the top.
And then through the spring (which I didn't bother to replace, but obviously could be) and the cap at the back of the plunger tube.
After which I heartlessly dumped every internal part to the left of the trigger into the trash. Then I sawed off the part in front of the barrel so I could put in a dart without using tweezers.
Looped a keyring around the knotted end of my wire.
And painted it purple as a little tribute to the LnL, since the keyring was already there.
I'm sorry to say I didn't measure the ranges before or after, but I don't have enough uses to justify buying a 100' tape measure and my apartment's courtyard would be too small anyway.
Edited by Undone, 21 July 2017 - 08:18 PM.