Photo

Magnetic Catch Idea

9 replies to this topic

#1 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:56 PM

After reading the magnetic blaster thread, I had an idea. What if the catch could be magnetically powered? So there would be a strong magnet a centimeter or so before the plunger head (in the head). When you prime it, the plunger head magnet attracts to another magnet on the trigger (where a SNAP hole would go). Then, pulling the trigger would lower the catch magnet, and release the plunger head.
<---_ the arrow would be the plunger head, and the underscore would be the catch magnet.
Primed:
<-_
It catches by the attraction of the plunger head magnet, to the trigger magnet. When you lower the trigger, the trigger magnet is lowered, and the plunger head is pushed forward by a compression spring.
What do you guys think?

Edited by Bubba Longshot, 12 May 2017 - 06:01 PM.

"The only thing that sucks about Nerf modification is the anxiety that something will break... That's why we reinforce a whole lot!" -Me

#2 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:17 PM

A magnet strong enough to counteract that much perpendicular force will require an equally large amount of force to disengage. And if you're moving the magnet around anyways, you could just move a normal catch instead.

The only magnet type that wouldn't need to be moved would be an electromagnet. But now you've added a battery to a spring plunger blaster that wouldn't otherwise need one.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:40 PM

A magnet strong enough to counteract that much perpendicular force will require an equally large amount of force to disengage. And if you're moving the magnet around anyways, you could just move a normal catch instead.

The only magnet type that wouldn't need to be moved would be an electromagnet. But now you've added a battery to a spring plunger blaster that wouldn't otherwise need one.

That makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. It looks like magnets and dart blasters don't get along.
However, an electromagnet would make the system work. But just not in a practical, cost efficient way.

Edited by Bubba Longshot, 12 May 2017 - 06:41 PM.

"The only thing that sucks about Nerf modification is the anxiety that something will break... That's why we reinforce a whole lot!" -Me

#4 Lasagna

Lasagna

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:18 PM

Why not use the magnet as a catch spring? Mag in the handle, mag on the catch to pull towards the handle mag. A rainbow would probably be best for this.

#5 ToadBrews

ToadBrews

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:07 PM

Why not use the magnet as a catch spring? Mag in the handle, mag on the catch to pull towards the handle mag. A rainbow would probably be best for this.

The question when you are trying to justify a weird variation on a functional design isn't 'why not' it's 'why?'

#6 Lasagna

Lasagna

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:50 PM

The question when you are trying to justify a weird variation on a functional design isn't 'why not' it's 'why?'

I know, jut providing some food for thought. Like lasagna.
On second thought, you wouldn't need the magnet on the vatch, the screw would be attracted to the magnet.

#7 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:09 PM

Should work fine.  Also remember that 2 magnets can push as well, so your catchspring can also push up from the handle if you're into that (I am).

Probably not better than using a regular spring in either case, but maybe you'll discover something interesting along the way.

RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#8 PraisinBran

PraisinBran

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

Should work fine.  Also remember that 2 magnets can push as well, so your catchspring can also push up from the handle if you're into that (I am).

Probably not better than using a regular spring in either case, but maybe you'll discover something interesting along the way.

This seems like a fantastic idea, as two magnets repelling each other would probably be able to make for a more secure catch than the tiny puny springs we use similar to click pens.  Not to mention maybe allowing for a more firm trigger pull potentially as well.  

#9 Silly

Silly

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:55 PM

But same problems as in that other thread. Not enough force without dangerously high electrical currents and potentially electronic damaging magnetic fields.

Co-Owner of the History of Nerf Modding research project, moderator of r/Nerf, owner of BlasterWiki, maker of 3d printed blasters (GitHub/Thingi) and Nerfy art.

#10 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:23 PM

But same problems as in that other thread. Not enough force without dangerously high electrical currents and potentially electronic damaging magnetic fields.

Maybe in a plunger assembly, but not nessecarily in a catch spring. The problem before was that you loose force with distance. A plunger needs to move significant distance to generate much force (or be giant), so you'd need a exponentially more powerful magnet to make it work. A catch, on the other hand, moves 1/4" at most. It'd probably be easy enough to make work, but the question is why when a cheaper, more readily available option (the spring), exists.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users