Photo

Nerf Triad spring upgrade?

14 replies to this topic

#1 scruffynerfherder

scruffynerfherder

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:34 PM

Hey guys, new here. Been lurking and like this community.

I'm hoping you all can help me find/source a stronger upgraded spring for my Nerf Triad and Triad Elite XD (2 favorite blasters lol)

I've seen Orange mod springs thrown around a lot, but don't see anything on their site for the Triads.

First off, who all offers stiffer springs for the triad?
What is everyones preference?
If no triad specific springs, which upgraded springs from other nerfs will fit and add some power?

Already removed pegs completely and made piston seal tighter. Just need a stiffer spring.

Thanks everyone!

#2 Speedr117

Speedr117

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:49 PM

The standard elite spring will fit. (The rampage,eat, and retaliator)
I know because I just put one in. 10/10 easiest mod ever.
Decent performance boost

#3 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:30 PM

There are many springs that fit the triad. The Orange mod works one is 7kg and will fit all standard elite blasters, including the triad. You can use a retaliator/EAT/rampage spring to double up on the stock one. Just basically anything that can get compression, and fit into the plunger tube/head.
Honestly though, I don't think that the triad catch mechanism can handle too much abuse, the limit is probably 5kg or double the stock. For that reason, do more research to see what works before buying a spring that may be too heavy. I would put in one or two toilet paper holder springs. That could increase ranges by 10-20 feet.
Happy modding
Bubba
"The only thing that sucks about Nerf modification is the anxiety that something will break... That's why we reinforce a whole lot!" -Me

#4 scruffynerfherder

scruffynerfherder

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:17 PM

First thing I tried was adding toilet paper holder springs with the stock spring (tried 3 different ones) and the springs would bind together stopping it from priming. I also have no other nerfs to butcher for a spring.

So which aftermarket spring would you guys suggest buying?

Thanks

#5 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

I would suggest thrifting a jolt/its reshells and take the spring. A buzzbee Tek series spring would also work. Just take your sacrificed spring, and add it to the stock one on your triad.

Edited by Bubba Longshot, 30 April 2017 - 03:14 PM.

"The only thing that sucks about Nerf modification is the anxiety that something will break... That's why we reinforce a whole lot!" -Me

#6 scruffynerfherder

scruffynerfherder

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

What all companies sell stiffer aftermarket springs that fit the Triad other than orange mod works?
Which spring would you put in a Triad hoping to inrease fire power? (Prefer aftermarket over trying more toilet paper holder springs or other stock nerf springs....tried 3 different toilet paper springs that didn't work and I don't have other nerfs to take a spring from)
Thanks

#7 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:22 PM

What all companies sell stiffer aftermarket springs that fit the Triad other than orange mod works?
Which spring would you put in a Triad hoping to inrease fire power? (Prefer aftermarket over trying more toilet paper holder springs or other stock nerf springs....tried 3 different toilet paper springs that didn't work and I don't have other nerfs to take a spring from)
Thanks

I do not know of any other 3rd party spring manufacturer that makes springs for the triad. You can google that yourself. Any spring that is stronger than the stock one with the right size will make the blaster shoot further. However, the triad catch is a snap style one. This limits your spring loads to around 5kg max. That means that the triad will only see slight performance gains. Are you keeping the smart ARs in? If so, only expect to see a 10 foot increase.

#8 AtraUnam

AtraUnam

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:13 AM

On the other hand taking the smart ARs out would net you at least a 40 foot decrease so don't take them out.

#9 scruffynerfherder

scruffynerfherder

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

I am def leaving the smart ar system in one of them. Thinking of possibly making the other one a 3 shot just for fun, but not sure yet.

I've already taken the pegs/posts completely out of both and made the oring tighter with teflon tape.

I guess I am going to use the omw retaliator 5kg spring as I've heard any stronger will break the catch.

What is the best lube to use in these?
Silicone? Lithium?

#10 Bubba Longshot

Bubba Longshot

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:32 PM

What is the best lube to use in these? Silicone? Lithium

Any grease that is plastic and rubber safe will work. I would personally use silicone grease, as white lithium can be tricky sometimes. Get the silicone grease that's found in small containers near the plumbing or pvc section. For more information, check the plastic safe lubricants thread in the generals section of Nerfhaven.

Edited by Bubba Longshot, 01 May 2017 - 05:32 PM.

#11 Dino

Dino

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:33 PM

NerfTurf sell 6/10kg elite springs that work with most elite blasters,

For USA : https://www.facebook...8022/?ref=br_rs.

AUS/Worldwide : http://stores.ebay.c...ralian-NerfTurf.

I have yet to try these but Foam data services made a review on the 10kg spring in a OMW stage 3 ret, : ,

#12 scruffynerfherder

scruffynerfherder

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:11 PM

I have seen the nerf turf springs but worried they might be too strong?

I messaged orange mod works and they suggested their 5kg spring stating even their own 7kg spring would be too strong for the catch.
Is this true?
Id really like the strongest spring that can fit my triad without breaking it.

#13 Dino

Dino

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:50 AM

Well i know that the 6kg will catch, i currently have a triad with a doubled up spring from some-other blaster which i around 8kg's total and it will catch,

i've seen someone use the 10kg but its wildly inaccurate, so i'd suggest a 6kg if you want a simple drop-in, with the 10kg you should run around 8cm of brass for it to work well and hit things, i wanted to [k25] mine but you need to ream out part of the plunger head...

Depending on what you want chose which any spring you want, 10kg is quite hard to install and i cracked one of my screw ports trying to do so, but it'll work

#14 scruffynerfherder

scruffynerfherder

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:29 PM

Went ahead and ordered 3x 5kg omw springs for my triads and bigshock. Hoping I will be impressed. If not ill try 7kg
thanks for all the help!

#15 scruffynerfherder

scruffynerfherder

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

Well today I put one of my newly aquired OMW 5kg Retaliator springs in my Elite Triad and am pretty darn impressed.

The new spring, dart post removal, plunger re-seal and re-lube all add up to one pretty powerful little Triad.

Highly recomend a spring swap in any Triad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users