Hammershot Modification Leather Leather Grip

8 replies to this topic

#1 RStarr

RStarr

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:41 PM

Hello,

I'm unknown because I lurk and allow all the truly talented engineers and hobbyists to teach me stuff. However, I was a little surprised to find I could not track a pattern for Leather-grips on the hammershot. I know it from Drac's.

I created these patterns using the painter's tape technique. That is:

1. Wrap tape where you would like leather.
2. Cut one seam with an exacto knife where you want it to lace.
3. Peel it off and use it on leather like a normal pattern.
4. Cut on a plastic cutting board with a sharp exacto knife (keeping fingers behind the blade).
5. Check fit.
6. Mark lace holes.
7. Punch lace holes and weave to handle working from top of grip down.  

For those less inclined to repeat that task, these are my grip patterns. They are slightly stylized on the top and bottom (see the picture for how they look on the hammershot). I was going to mark in lace punch-holes, but the spacing and size of those depends greatly on the lace you use. The lace in the photo wound up being too thick, so I have since bought a narrow lace. 

Anyhow, hope this post is useful and not clutter. I could not find a post about it with the search engine, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. 

20170412_210808.jpg
(The blaster is one of two for a friend of mine and my girl. The other says "Sorry", so combined they are "Sorry" "Not Sorry", as she has a tendency to apologize everytime she hits someone, haha. I will also be sewing holsters for them.)

Hammershot%20Leather%20Grip%20Pattern%20
Designed to be printed on regular office paper. Let me know if the sizing goes off with compression or something. I can modify the image. I tested a print and it still matched for me. I can also convert to PDF if that's more helpful.

Edited by RStarr, 18 April 2017 - 09:41 PM.

#2 Penna

Penna

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:56 PM

Would you consider selling these?

Wye not?- Astech

Watch this It isn't a rick roll

#3 RStarr

RStarr

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:17 PM

Selling the hammershot? Or the leather grips? I can't sell these hammershots specifically. They are a gift. But I'm not opposed to recreating the hammershots. I'm trying to get more experience with paints. This took a very long time to do, and it definitely did not need to take that long. Also, I'm a grown-ass man, so I have to fit it into the cracks of my life.

I can say the decals are just nice craft stickers from Michaels (a Canadian craft store) glued to the gun with two-part epoxy (so it's a bit raised). It has not gotten 2k clear coat yet, because Vancouver endlessly rains, but it will.

I would like to find a white that buries the orange better. This took so many coats it started chipping a few places when I peeled it off. Honestly, the white took weeks. If I could fix that, this would go quicker. 

No mods on the internals because it's for someone with small hands that generally plays indoors.

Edited by RStarr, 20 April 2017 - 04:46 PM.

#4 Trashmouse

Trashmouse

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

Very nice grip idea, I'll definatly be stealing those for my own hamershot. 1 thing is bothering me though. The Hamershot is missing it's hammer in the picture.

#5 RStarr

RStarr

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:45 PM

They are not finished. The purpose was to show the contouring of the leather as it would appear on the blaster. It has no internals at the moment as it is waiting for a dry day to clear coat it. 

I can't take credit for the grip idea. I got it from Drac. It's my favourite solution though. It's also very comfy. People recommend thin leather, but I actually find slightly thicker leather more comfortable. 

If you are trying to source leather, either look for leather jackets cheap at the goodwill, or craft shops sell scrap packs at a greatly reduced price (I did the former). I recommend cutting out the printed pattern piece and seeing how the paper fits the grip first. Just to confirm it didn't shrink it for the page or anything. 

Edited by RStarr, 20 April 2017 - 04:48 PM.

#6 Vim Fuego

Vim Fuego

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:17 PM

I would like to find a white that buries the orange better. This took so many coats it started chipping a few places when I peeled it off. Honestly, the white took weeks. If I could fix that, this would go quicker.

Try to find this stuff: Rustoleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover

The flat white is a perfect 100% opaque base after only 2 light coats. A gloss white on top of this should stick really nicely and thinly enough to preserve all the moulded details.

p.s. The moulded leather grip is a great idea - you could also try wetting the leather before wrapping the handle. This will cause the leather to shrink as it dries, pulling in tighter around the forms of the grip.

edit: I underestimated the number of coats - I did a white base over the Mega red on a bigshot today, and it took 4 light coats of the Flat white - although, "light" is up to the perspective of the painter, When I say light, the 1st coat looks like some dust has settled on the shell. Someone with a heavier hand may cover their shell in 2 coats easily.

Edited by Vim Fuego, 22 April 2017 - 11:51 PM.

#7 RStarr

RStarr

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

Try to find this stuff: Rustoleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover

The flat white is a perfect 100% opaque base after only 2 light coats. A gloss white on top of this should stick really nicely and thinly enough to preserve all the moulded details.

p.s. The moulded leather grip is a great idea - you could also try wetting the leather before wrapping the handle. This will cause the leather to shrink as it dries, pulling in tighter around the forms of the grip.

Thank you very much for the advice on the paint. I will definitely try it. That orange is a real bitch.

Thank you for the advice on the leather as well. My intention is to wet the leather. I was even thinking of imprinting the grip, but that's just if I find something that works. 

#8 Penna

Penna

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:11 PM

I was actually wondering if you will be selling the leather hammer shot wraps as a diy kit with the leather cut and punched and some corresponding string.

Edited by Penna, 20 April 2017 - 07:11 PM.

Wye not?- Astech

Watch this It isn't a rick roll

#9 RStarr

RStarr

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

I can do that. Maybe on Etsy or something? If there's any interest. I can also make a more detailed guide on how this is done. I sincerely thought this was pretty common knowledge, I was just offering up the pattern to save some redundant work for others. 

However, if this is not as common as I presumed, I can offer both kits, and detailed picture walkthrough. Is there interest? Let me know.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hammershot, Modification, Leather, Leather Grip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users