+bow homemade 3D print

11 replies to this topic

#1 Hardly Ideal

Hardly Ideal

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:59 PM

POPULAR

I've wanted to make a +bow for years- about since it first came out- but I could never quite get it to work. The materials and tools required were prohibitively expensive, and my brother and I had already collected a whole galaxy of comparable modified blasters in the meantime. After a string of other failures and disappointments, the whole idea of homemades kind of dropped off my radar.

Fast forward to 2016. At work, I've been tasked with feeding and watering our new-ish 3D printer, which we got it for making prototypes, quick repair parts, and custom tool caddies. My boss told me to "get good with the thing" and "I expect to see cool things on your desk soon."

He's a great guy, but you should really be careful what you wish for.

F7SX5T9IXUQAFY3.LARGE.jpg

Not the greatest +bow in the world, but it's mine. And aside from a janky Snapbow-like thing that scored maybe one hit before ruining itself, I'd call this my first practical homemade.

• Aside from the plunger body, spring, and fasteners, everything is 3D-printed.
  • Largely identical to CaptainSlug's original except for some minor tweaks.
  • Embellished the panels and grip with triangular cutouts. I kind of have a thing for triangles these days.
  • Three levels of draw like the original design, but with an original plunger head. I can never get the right rubber seals, but I've managed to get a solid plastic plunger head at just the right diameter. Less than ideal, but I'm not about to question anything that actually works.
  • Customized plunger rod grip. The original was a bit too big and sharp for my liking
  • Built-in dart holder. I thought about including add-on rails, but I almost never use those except for dart holders. So for a scratch build like this, I decided to just integrate it from the start.

I've yet to use it in an actual game, but the +bow already feels like a very versatile platform. So naturally, this is a work-in-progress.

FRXZ411IY0FZ4SZ.LARGE.jpg

Stage 01

• All the important parts out of the printer. A few tweaks to the original to account for taste and oversights on my part.
  • Fancier grip than the stock model. Thinner, smoother, and ya gotta have a triangle on it. Did I mention I like triangles?
  • Ring trigger just for fun.
  • Spacer between the front frame plate and the catch frame (dark blue with the obround slot). I only had the plunger body screwed and glued into the catch frame, but that wasn't nearly enough to keep it in place as the plunger head slammed into the far end of the body. Now it's much more solid.

F3TLG9KIY0FZ4T1.LARGE.jpg

Stage 02

• Added a shoulder stock, designed and built from scratch. I'm not sure the stock actually helps with accuracy, but it looks nice and feels better. I might try to add tool or part storage later.
  • Plunger body shroud. That was actually made as a study in lightsaber handles, so I just slapped it on as the design was superseded. That white space looked empty, anyway.

FLCW0YGIY0FZ4TU.LARGE.jpg

Stage 03

• After realizing how much oomph this thing really has, I made a barrel for Mega darts. I'd like to try and make a system that would let me toggle between both types of darts like the Dual-Strike, but I might be running into the limit of the 3D printer's capabilities.
  • Empty spot in the stock is being used for holding the extra barrel. The rubber band has since been replaced with Velcro straps, but I'd like to make a proper box for holding tools and extra fasteners.

It's been hardly perfect so far. There's a few sharp corners I've had to deal with, and more than a few mechanical problems. The plunger rod has broken at least three times; if that keeps up, I might try for a paracord solution like I've done in the past. And the plunger head still hits the end of the body pretty hard, so I should probably come up with a solution for that. Still, it's been a very successful build so far.

Pictures and updates as they come.

...are you sure this thing is on?

#2 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:13 PM

I'll look at this more in a bit, but:

1) Do you have files to share?

2) Look at these files and see if they help you any

3) Really, switch to the oring PH in my files or one of the ones in Aeromechs or Ryan###'s files for the PSCR and ESLT.

Ed: Ok, with more time to actually respond - good job on making your first homemade, and coming up with it pretty much on your own! I saw your post in the picture thread - to answer it, you post new threads when you are providing new information to the community, a homemade like this with files and a writeup for example; or if you want feedback on this because you're having trouble. You post in the picture threads to show off/post something you've done, but that doesn't require further comment or isn't ready yet.

What program are you using? Filleting (rounding over) the edges should be a snap in almost any program. I'd like to see pictures or screenshots of your individual parts as they're intended to be printed - the old +Bow has a large partcount and some of those parts aren't necessary (The newest iteration of +Bow does away with the majority of the sideplates), I might be able to help you reduce print time and material. It also looks like you've printed everything except the plunger tube, fasteners, and spring; there are definitely off-the-shelf parts to replace some of those prints (1"-1/2" PVC bushing, for example, works great as a PT > barrel adapter. The plunger rod isn't especially hard to make either IIRC).

Edited by Meaker VI, 18 February 2017 - 10:55 AM.

#3 blitz

blitz

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:45 PM

This is pretty sweet! I'm in the process of designing parts for my own projects, but that's really impressive. 

Unfortunately, 3d printed material isn't great for a long +bow style plunger rod. I'm afraid that you're going to have to use delrin, nylon, polycarbonate, or cpvc or something. 

I eagerly await these files and a pump-action variant!

Blitz, member of the FNBS
"sexual innuendo no intendo"

#4 Hardly Ideal

Hardly Ideal

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:40 PM

I'll look at this more in a bit, but:

1) Do you have files to share?

2) Look at these files and see if they help you any

3) Really, switch to the oring PH in my files or one of the ones in Aeromechs or Ryan###'s files for the PSCR and ESLT.

Ed: Ok, with more time to actually respond - good job on making your first homemade, and coming up with it pretty much on your own! I saw your post in the picture thread - to answer it, you post new threads when you are providing new information to the community, a homemade like this with files and a writeup for example; or if you want feedback on this because you're having trouble. You post in the picture threads to show off/post something you've done, but that doesn't require further comment or isn't ready yet.

What program are you using? Filleting (rounding over) the edges should be a snap in almost any program. I'd like to see pictures or screenshots of your individual parts as they're intended to be printed - the old +Bow has a large partcount and some of those parts aren't necessary (The newest iteration of +Bow does away with the majority of the sideplates), I might be able to help you reduce print time and material. It also looks like you've printed everything except the plunger tube, fasteners, and spring; there are definitely off-the-shelf parts to replace some of those prints (1"-1/2" PVC bushing, for example, works great as a PT > barrel adapter. The plunger rod isn't especially hard to make either IIRC).

I copied the original templates in SolidWorks, which I use for my day job. I have the whole assembly saved; it's kind of a living project still. I just need to get it fit for sharing first.

This is pretty sweet! I'm in the process of designing parts for my own projects, but that's really impressive. 

Unfortunately, 3d printed material isn't great for a long +bow style plunger rod. I'm afraid that you're going to have to use delrin, nylon, polycarbonate, or cpvc or something. 

I eagerly await these files and a pump-action variant!

Yeah, I've been kicking around a few ideas on how to build a better plunger rod. Reinforce with thin aluminum sheet, integrate a threaded rod, maybe even paracord, I'm not sure. That's a few degrees harder than adjusting templates.

And I thought about including a pump action at one point, but I ran out of space and haven't worked out a return mechanism for the handle. It might make it in there, but it's not high on my list.

And until I get everything squared away for sharing...

jaqJqm8.gif

#5 Hardly Ideal

Hardly Ideal

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:49 PM

Moving along on prepping the parts for sharing, but I forgot to ask about one important thing: Should I include the cutouts? I sure think they look cool, but not everyone is me and other people probably have different tastes.

#6 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:45 PM

They don't hurt, and we can pull them out if we don't like them.

#7 Hardly Ideal

Hardly Ideal

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:29 PM

Okay, let's see if I can upload some part files. Assembly guide later when I find the time to put something together.

Attached File  PB Catch Plate.STL   3.21KB   294 downloads

Attached File  PB Frame Spacer 01.STL   18.83KB   296 downloads

Attached File  PB Frame Spacer 02.STL   16.68KB   297 downloads

Attached File  PB Front Catch.STL   32.31KB   298 downloads

Attached File  PB Grip Handle.STL   182.7KB   292 downloads

Attached File  PB Muzzle Frame.STL   31.14KB   302 downloads

Attached File  PB Plunger Support.STL   30.36KB   291 downloads

Attached File  PB Rear Catch.STL   36.12KB   295 downloads

Attached File  PB Ring Trigger.STL   21.37KB   291 downloads

Attached File  PB Side Panel.STL   102.82KB   301 downloads

Attached File  PB Spring Block.STL   20.59KB   289 downloads

Attached File  PB Trigger Guard.STL   43.25KB   297 downloads

Attached File  PB0 Top Rail A.STL   98.71KB   295 downloads

Attached File  PB0 Top Rail B.STL   54.57KB   294 downloads

Edited by Hardly Ideal, 21 March 2017 - 05:59 PM.

#8 Geric2004

Geric2004

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:04 AM

Hi! Is there a possibility you can upload the whole assembly? I have Solidworks and want to try to figure out a suitable design I can make for a a mag fed homemade. (Need more inspiration, only have Slug's Caliburn as Inspiration)

youtube.com/user/asean12

#9 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:37 PM

Hi! Is there a possibility you can upload the whole assembly? I have Solidworks and want to try to figure out a suitable design I can make for a a mag fed homemade. (Need more inspiration, only have Slug's Caliburn as Inspiration)

Why not just build a Caliburn then, which is already a top-tier mag-fed homemade? :huh:

#10 Hardly Ideal

Hardly Ideal

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

Why not just build a Caliburn then, which is already a top-tier mag-fed homemade? :huh:

Seconding that. I haven't looked at the Caliburn closely yet, but I can already tell you it's better than anything I can make.

I'll still see if I can get the SolidWorks assembly, but you might be better off looking for other +bow references. They're going to be better documented, and my assembly is a bit messy. I never really meant to share it, and it's got a lot of stuff that's in-progress.

#11 Hardly Ideal

Hardly Ideal

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

May as well upload a snapshot of the assembly; it should include the base blaster, shoulder stock, front rails, a 12mm dart barrel, and a dart holder. It might be rough in some spots, but that shouldn't be a problem for a SolidWorks user.

Attached File  PB Stage 03.zip   12.99MB   289 downloads

#12 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:16 PM

Is this what it feels like to have grandchildren? I'm too young to be sure, but just old enough to postulate it.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: +bow, homemade, 3D print

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users