Photo

Top 5 best springers for Nerf wars

9 replies to this topic

#1 NerfBeginner16

NerfBeginner16

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:24 PM

I know a lot of people think flywheels are king. But I wanna know what the best springers you can bring to a nerf war are. I have an alpha trooper unmodified if there are any other blasters that our better please let me know.

#2 Zack the Mack

Zack the Mack

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:14 AM

If you're going to a NIC war, #1 through #4 are Rainbowpumps and #5 is a tie between a Plusbow and another Rainbowpump.

If you're doing a more casual, close-range battle, you will get outgunned by flywheels. Few springers have an advantage over a flywheel blaster, but these have special properties that could make them competitive:

1. Longshot - The best platform for a clip-fed modded springer, period. Supports the beefiest springs, the silliest integrations, and the most sophisticated breeches. A maxed-out Longshot could outrange a flywheel blaster and provide area denial.
  2. Dart Zone Magnum - Big, filthy, stinking drum. If you can run really fast and have good game sense, you can mop up opponents as they swap mags.
  3. Buzz Bee Sentinel - The People's Rifle accepts Nerf mags, shoots 120+ FPS, makes you The Terminator, and costs ten bucks. You see A LOT of these at Superstock wars.
  4. Alpha Trooper - The definitive HvZ blaster. Lightweight, good ergonomics, cheap, and versatile. So reliable it's basically indestructible. Slam-fire works well. Not competitive in brief games, but perfectly suited for multi-day HvZ scenarios.
  5. Ultimator - The only springer that shoots HUGE ROCKETS. Provides +5 ranged touch attack and +10 movement speed while wielded by BallisticJoe.

Honorable mention: Stampede. It's technically a springer. But only technically.

Edited by Zack the Mack, 13 December 2016 - 02:17 AM.

Ask me questions about electronics, Arduino, and 3D printing

#3 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:21 AM

Try playing in the rain and ask the flwyheelers which type of blaster is king.

The Retaliator and Sentinel seem to be good, popular springer choices.

Edited by shandsgator8, 13 December 2016 - 06:22 AM.

#4 myvenom

myvenom

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:53 AM

As far as stock blasters go, I find the Rotofury hard to beat. Plus it's not as expensive or as difficult to mod as the long shot.

#5 Silly

Silly

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:54 AM

If it counts as a springer, stampede is all the way for me.

Co-Owner of the History of Nerf Modding research project, moderator of r/Nerf, owner of BlasterWiki, maker of 3d printed blasters (GitHub/Thingi) and Nerfy art.

#6 Zack the Mack

Zack the Mack

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:29 PM

Try playing in the rain and ask the flwyheelers which type of blaster is king.

Good point. Just remember to strip, dry, and lube your blaster afterwards so the spring doesn't rust.
Ask me questions about electronics, Arduino, and 3D printing

#7 NerfGeek416

NerfGeek416

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:02 PM

If I can't use flywheels, I reach for my pump modded Apollo. I'd take an Artemis over it now that that's out though.

#8 Guest_DrShtainer_*

Guest_DrShtainer_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:35 PM

If you're going to a NIC war, #1 through #4 are Rainbowpumps and #5 is a tie between a Plusbow and another Rainbowpump.

If you're doing a more casual, close-range battle, you will get outgunned by flywheels. Few springers have an advantage over a flywheel blaster, but these have special properties that could make them competitive:

1. Longshot - The best platform for a clip-fed modded springer, period. Supports the beefiest springs, the silliest integrations, and the most sophisticated breeches. A maxed-out Longshot could outrange a flywheel blaster and provide area denial.
  2. Dart Zone Magnum - Big, filthy, stinking drum. If you can run really fast and have good game sense, you can mop up opponents as they swap mags.
  3. Buzz Bee Sentinel - The People's Rifle accepts Nerf mags, shoots 120+ FPS, makes you The Terminator, and costs ten bucks. You see A LOT of these at Superstock wars.
  4. Alpha Trooper - The definitive HvZ blaster. Lightweight, good ergonomics, cheap, and versatile. So reliable it's basically indestructible. Slam-fire works well. Not competitive in brief games, but perfectly suited for multi-day HvZ scenarios.
  5. Ultimator - The only springer that shoots HUGE ROCKETS. Provides +5 ranged touch attack and +10 movement speed while wielded by BallisticJoe.

Honorable mention: Stampede. It's technically a springer. But only technically.

Alpha trooper drops darts when pointed down,which leads to missfires, or worse, gets your whole slamfire burst jamed because some dart left the chamber to drop, but didnt falled out completly...

Thats my experience so far with Alpha, similar problem with Rampage.

However Retaliator works just well, and drops only terrible darts.

#9 Maniacal Coyote

Maniacal Coyote

On Increasingly Thin Ice

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:14 PM

I know a lot of people think flywheels are king. But I wanna know what the best springers you can bring to a nerf war are. I have an alpha trooper unmodified if there are any other blasters that our better please let me know.

It depends upon the war type, and your playstyle.

For a close-quarters playing area (e.g. in an office or somewhere with lots of short hallways), I'd go with a Roughcut 2x4 or a Swarmfire.

• Since you have past experience with a pump, the Roughcut wouldn't be too foreign to you. For slightly increased performance, I'd use the OMW spring upgrade, but the stock RC is just fine. You could also use this for a hit-and-run loadout, since the Roughcut can use almost any micro dart. The only other modification you might consider would be shortening the dart posts so you can use Streamlines.
  • The Dart Tag Swarmfire is an AEG revision of the RapidFire AS-20 from the early '00's. Like the Swarmfire, it's easy to convert to using all micro-caliber darts. The turret gives you the ability to cram your opponents' darts in without worrying about them jamming inside the magazine, and it gives pretty good output compared to a Stry-wheel blaster.

For games with some tight areas but some long hallways (e.g. a school or church), I'd suggest an EAT (Elite Alpha Trooper), Rampage, Buzz Bee Sentinel, a pump modded Retaliator/Recon Mk 2, a pump-modded Longshot, or Stampede.

• The EAT, Rampage, and Sentinel would be good for stock-only wars, due to their natures. At stock spring-constants, the EAT and Rampage are superior to pump-modded Retaliators, due to slam-fire.
  • At higher spring constants, the EAT lose their value because their pump is connected to the bolt by a 0.125" metal rod which can bend quite easily. Also, they have a bunch of locks that can cause trouble.
  • The Sentinel is a cult favorite (r/sentinelunion), and is essentially a modded slingfire for less than the price of a Stryfe. Just put some padding on the lever action, since it is unforgiving metal.
  • If you have some money to put into a build, you could go with a Retaliator. The stock blaster is mediocre, but there are kits to turn it into a Singapore-grade blaster. Or, if you've got a spare retaliator/recon, you could use Snoop Doggy Doge's Van Grip Retaliator guide to make your own.
    The Recon Mk 2 is essentially a Retaliator with a few cosmetic changes, and can probably be used the same way.
  • If you want to go with the biggest, most intimidating blaster, there is no modern springer more powerful than the venerable Longshot. If you add a pump kit, you combine quantity with quality. Seriously, this can spit darts out at terminal velocity if you put a strong enough spring. There are several after-market companies that make kits that can turn your Longshot into a Singaporean beast.
  • Last but not least, the Stampede is essentially a full-auto Retaliator. Stock, it is underwhelming. However, when you upgrade the spring, rewire it, and increase the voltage, you've got a terrifying monster in your hands that can spit darts out as fast as a Rapidstrike and as far as any other Elite-era springer.

For wars with extremely long ranges, I'd recommend a Longshot, Rainbow, SNAP, Plusbow, or '95 Crossbow.

• At these ranges, the Longshot is the only conventional springer with the plunger volume necessary for this environment.
  • Plusbows are homemade blasters which are reliable but require a machineshop in order to process the materials.
  • SNAPS are homemade blasters which are easy to make with common tools, but don't always catch when you prime them.
  • Rainbows are the happy medium that certain members of this forum (Collectively known as the "Rainbow Clan") created a while ago
  • The Crossbow (Xbow) is, esssentially, a Nitefinder on steroids. It is the O.G. NIC blaster, and the basis for the homemades I listed. As a matter of fact, the Plusbow is Captain Slug's attempt to replicate the Xbow.

For a sidearm, I'd recommend a Hammershot/Sweet Revenge, Negotiator, minimized Lawbringer, or Speedswarm/Powerbelle. You could use a Strongarm, but they can't always handle higher spring constants. As a matter of fact, I modded one for a friend, and the part that connects the plunger rod to the slide broke while he was slam-firing it during a war.

• The Hammershot and Sweet Revenge are hammer-primed, revolver-style blasters with plentiful after-market kits. You can easily upgrade them to 8 powerful shots. The Sweet Revenge comes with a plastic holster, while you have to get a holster for the Hammershot separately. As a matter of fact, Nerf makes a drop-leg holster for the Hammershot that fits other pistols as well.
  • The Negotiator is a bulkier Hammershot that comes with 8 shots. 
  • The Lawbringer is a 12-shot, hammer-primed blaster. Stock, it is a rifle-grip carbine, but can be cut down to essentially become a 12-round Hammershot.
  • The Speedswarm and Powerbelle are full-auto turret-fed pistols, with comparable rates of fire to stry-wheel blasters.

Note: "Stry-wheel blasters" are flywheel, mag-fed, semi-auto blasters such as the Stryfe, Rayven, Modulus, Cam ECS, Demolisher, and Desolator.

I know how to help you because I have broken every rule in the book.

#10 ComradeSch

ComradeSch

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:58 PM

Depends, what role do you need it for?

If you want a one-shot kill at close range, but as a backup, use a Rough Cut or a Sledgefire (after removing the stock). This is useful for keeping people behind cover, since they know they won't be able to dodge two or three darts just to poke their heads above cover.

Need a good mix of fire rate and range for a primary? Use an Alpha Trooper or a Rampage. I prefer the Alpha Trooper because loading from the bottom makes more sense to me.

Want an effective sidearm that has good fire rate and decent capacity? Get a Strongarm, you can slam-fire it.

Want a good springer overall? Get a Stampede and upgrade it, like Captain Xavier did with his primary, EIR. Yes, technically the Stampede is a springer, even though it takes batteries, because the main power going to the darts is from a plunger and plunger tube, the mechanism is just primed and reset electronically.

Moar dakka iz best dakka ya gitz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users