81 replies to this topic

#1 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:56 PM

Date: Saturday August 6th, 2016
Time: Arrive by 9:30. No, seriously, we will start on-time this year. 
Location: Joe Palaia Park (aka Deal Test Site) in Ocean Township, New Jersey.
Google Maps Link -- Detailed Directions <--Follow these directions or you will end up at the wrong entrance or the wrong park!
Tickets: No, there are not tickets to purchase.  The tickets link on the facebook event page is just a way of linking to this page.  If you are attending you just have to read all the rules and information below. 

Weather warning: As of Monday, the forecast for Saturday is looking like rain and possible thunder storms. Be prepared to play in heavy rain. Bring a change of clothing and wear clothing and footwear that dries quickly. If there is a risk of lightning strikes in the area, we will suspend play temporarily, and resume half an hour after lightning is no longer observed. There is no rain date, and the war will proceed as planned regardless of weather conditions.

SUPERSTOCK ROUNDS - There will be some (optional) superstock rounds this year.  During these rounds you must use full-length stock nerf brand darts, or compatible knockoffs (no FVJs).  There are no additional blaster restrictions.  All other Apoc rules still apply.  The rounds played will still be short NIC style rounds (probably 3-15) so do everything you can to minimize the time you spend picking up darts and reloading mags between rounds.  Reload time between rounds will be limited.  These rounds will not last all day, so you will still need an "NIC style" blaster (see next section).  There will be regular rounds during all Superstock rounds if you aren't into Superstock.

IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST NERFHAVEN EVENT - You will need a blaster that fires homemade darts, preferably a home made spring powered blaster or an approved pump/valve style blaster (airgun). Due to the openness of the field at Apoc, it will be more difficult than usual to compete with a stock or superstock blaster during regular rounds.  I strongly recommend that you come to another NerfHaven war first before you attend your first Apoc, check the 2016 Nerf War Schedule for wars in your area. 
DIY Darts: http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=23034
or buy darts here: http://nerfhaven.com...hread/?p=354785
DIY Blaster: http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=24406

PARENTS - This event is not a day care or a summer camp. This is an event run by irresponsible foul-mouthed college aged kids. The ammo most people are using contains metal. There is no adult supervision, no liability insurance, and no one who will take responsibility for your kid. People frequently get bruised, and occasionally get minor injuries consistent with other sports and outdoor activities. If none of this scares you, congrats on being an awesome parent! But if you wouldn't let your kid go off into the woods to play paintball with a bunch of teenagers unsupervised, maybe skip this one.

YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
-Be 13 years of age or older, or accompanied by someone who is who will take responsibility for you. 
-Familiarize yourself with the rules and schedule
-Show up on time
-Attend the orientation if this is your first Apoc. Orientation will be held at 9:30 in the staging area. Try to arrive by 9:15
-Be familiar with dart/blaster restrictions
-Bring Protective Eyewear. Everyone is required to wear eye protection. Goggles or safety glasses which are rated for impact are strongly recommended. Masks of any sort are discouraged (This isn't Canada, no one is aiming for your face).
-Bring your own darts and blaster. Assume you will need around twice as many darts as usual, and/or be prepared to sit out a round just for dart sweeps. Bring a backup blaster. Don't expect anyone to wait for you to fix your gun to start the next round. Bring a springer pistol. Bring a blaster that fires stock darts if you want to participate in the Superstock rounds.
-Lunch is your own responsibility. There will not be enough time to leave for lunch. I suggest you bring a packed lunch and eat on the field. If you leave for lunch you *will* miss rounds.
-Bring Water. It will be extremely hot and humid. A minimum of 2 liters of water/Gatorade is recommended (many people bring at least a gallon). There is nowhere to get water on the field.
-Bring Hat/Sunscreen/Sunglasses. It will be hotter than satan's taint, and there is not much shade at the park. Bring sun protection or you will burn.
-Follow the instructions of the hosts and field supervisors. Certain people will be designated as field supervisors and will be helping us run rounds. Listen to what they say. Our authority as hosts and admins extends to them for the purposes of this war.
-Clean up after yourself. Flagging tape, bottles, etc must be removed from the park.

DART RESTRICTIONS
All home made darts must be made using a 1/2" diameter 1/8" thick adhesive-backed felt bumper from McMaster-Carr, part#8771K12. Darts may only be weighted using a single #8 or #6 washer, which must be entirely covered by the felt bumper. Unmodified stock darts are also permitted. See this thread for more details Contact me via PM if you have any difficulty purchasing the McMaster materials.
Stock nerf brand ammo is permitted. During the Superstock rounds, only full length darts may be used. 
Knockoff stock darts are permitted, except for those with hard solid tips (FVJs). 
MHA pink silicone dome darts are permitted.

BLASTER RESTRICTIONS
DO NOT BRING Blasters that look like guns. If your blaster does not look like a toy, cover it in orange tape, or we will tape it on-site. Blasters in this category include: blasters painted black (especially pistols), ERTL Pump action shotguns, and blasters painted brown, olive drab, or any other 'realistic' colors.
TITANS and anything with a titan tank in it must fire stock titan rockets or Draconis rockets. You may not fire any size dart out of a Titan.
SCEPTORS must be colorful. Make it look as little like a paintball gun as possible. Wrap the tank in fabric or stripey tape or something. If you replace the tank, the tank volume may not be made any larger (stock is about 800cc). The OPRV must be kept stock and you must retain the stock pump (handle replacements are fine).  If you bring a Sceptor, BRING ANOTHER PRIMARY, as sceptors may not be allowed in certain rounds.
UMBs, BIG BLASTS, ANYTHING DESIGNED TO SHOOT AMMO LARGER THAN A MEGA DART must include the stock OPRV. No McMaster OPRVs, and no 'tweaked' OPRVs. If we suspect your blaster does not have the stock OPRV, Muttonchops will be allowed to pump it until he hears an OPRV kick in, or the tank ruptures.
DO NOT BRING Homemade Airguns (includes anything with a pump/valve that isn't made by hasbro/lanard/buzzbee such as those drain cleaners)
DO NOT BRING Super Soakers
DO NOT BRING Melee weapons/swords
DO NOT BRING Shields (hits to any shield-like items you may be carrying will still count as a hit)

If you are not sure about a blaster, leave it at home. If you want to be the guy at apoc who's gun shoots farther than everyone else's, *you* should stay home.

CANCELLATION POLICY/RAIN DATE
Short answer - there isn't one.

The cancellation policy is that there is no cancellation policy. We plan this war months in advance, and rescheduling is not an option. Unless a state of emergency is declared, I'll be at the site on Saturday morning. If hazardous conditions arise, such as lightning, we may temporarily suspend play, but this war goes on rain or shine and you should be prepared to play in moderate rain.

Subscribe to the NerfHaven.com twitter account and have notifications send to your phone via text if you don't have a smart phone. Any emergency notifications that go out on the day of the war will be posted to the twitter account as well as this thread. I will also be available via the LGLF hotline at (732) 903-5453 (732-903-LGLF) on the day of the war. I doubt any of this will be necessary and you should assume that Apoc will proceed as planned.

TIPS FOR THE WAR
Rules and conduct
What to bring, and what not to bring
Dealing with the heat

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#2 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:01 PM

DIRECTIONS/GOOGLE MAPS/GPS INFO:

Google Maps Link
40°15'21.85"N 74° 1'25.08"W
40.256069, -74.023633

271 Whalepond Rd.
Oakhurst, NJ 07755
(On older GPS units if you don't specify the town it will take you to the wrong 271 Whalepond)

Deal Rd & Whalepond Rd
Oakhurst, NJ 07755

My best advice is to use a GPS or Google Maps to navigate to one of the coordinates, address, or intersection above. Depending on what direction you're coming from, you'll either end up on W Park Ave, or Deal Rd.

If you are driving on W Park Ave, you turn right at the light on to Whalepond Rd and make a right into the third park entrance. Parking on right. If you end up at another traffic light, you missed it. Turn around and follow the directions below.

If you are driving on Deal Rd, you turn left on to Whalepond Rd at the light and make a left into the first park entrance. Parking on right. If you end up at another traffic light, you missed it. Turn around and follow the directions above.

Once you've parked, just follow the paved path into the park and you will eventually see the new staging area on your left. 

ALTERNATE PARKING

If the Parking lot is full you may need to find on street parking in the neighborhood around the park. 

This address is on a side street walking distance from the entrance:

44 Shadow Lawn Dr, Oakhurst, NJ 07755

You can also park at the address below off of Deal Rd, and hop the fence along Deal Rd and follow the paved path to the staging area. 
36 Dwight Dr, Ocean Township, NJ 07712

#3 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:03 PM

This post intentionally left blank. Except for this sentence.  And that one.  You get the point.

#4 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:52 PM

I plan to attend, at least for a little bit.

#5 Jlego

Jlego

One Armed Clan

• Moderators
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:49 PM

Attending as per usual, hopefully will have a couple arrowstorms back in shape by then.

Running some gunslinger (pistols or primaries) and freeze tag, keeping the NJ and Pitt classics alive.

May even have some more old stuff to sell, we'll see what I can dig up!

~Jaxon of the LGLF

Gears: Ice9 and I have a relationship similar to that of myself and Jax.
liska: You snuggles?
Gears: The nerfers most likely to engage in a threesome.

I've seen you use an arrowstorm!!

#6 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:13 PM

Oh hell yes!! I missed last year, I ain't missing this year. I may have a guest or two with me.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#7 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:50 PM

Going. Expect plus ones.

Watch my shitty videos

This is so ghetto but so awesome.

#8 evilbunnyo

evilbunnyo

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:42 AM

On time he says. 10:15 start time there will be.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

#9 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:47 AM

Attending. Hopefully some plus ones.
I'll be there early, and we can probably start some pickup rounds before that anyway, 

#10 flyingchicken

flyingchicken

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:38 PM

I will try my damnedest to be there again this year.

I am so omniscient; if there was to be two omnisciences, I would be both!

#11 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:59 PM

I know I want to go up to NY to visit family after summer studio sometime in August, so if I end up getting there, I'll try to take the drive to NJ.

industrial designer

#12 pvpxan

pvpxan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:11 AM

I am going to assume this is not the type of event I can bring my modded Stryfe that shoots only stock darts? Even if I bring enough darts for the whole day?

#13 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:55 AM

I am going to assume this is not the type of event I can bring my modded Stryfe that shoots only stock darts? Even if I bring enough darts for the whole day?

No it isn't, to be competitive bring a hoppered homemade or something with similar power like a 4b, whatever you use needs to fire stefans. However as the OP says there will be superstock rounds so your stryfe will be great for those.

Edited by The2ndBluesBro, 13 April 2016 - 11:56 AM.

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#14 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:47 PM

If you're in VERY good shape, you can do just fine with a superstock blaster, like a well modded Stryfe. I've played with a cross country runner who rocked with a Nite Finder, but that's because he was constantly running and able to flank anyone at any time.

Also, you'll need A LOT of darts. I bring about 300 to my local superstock wars and it's very adequate, but we play on pavement most of the time, so the dart sweeps we do every other round result in near perfect dart recovery. If you use your Stryfe all day at Apoc, you're gonna either spend most of your time dart sweeping or have to bring several hundred and be ok with losing at least 1/3 of them.

Edited by shandsgator8, 13 April 2016 - 12:49 PM.

#15 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:52 PM

I mean you can, nobody is going to wait for you to load all your mags though. Downtime should be quick, but like mentioned above, there will be superstock rounds, you can try being effective with a stryfe (They aren't too bad for freezetag) and you can look around the site to make a homemade easily. I suggest the Meaker, Poor Man Snap or Poor man rainbow

It's a fun war all, and pretty large. I would go if you could make it.

#16 pvpxan

pvpxan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:09 PM

I am more of a super stock guy as I don't really do the homemade+stefans. I am actually a former XC runner also(tad out of shape though haha). I also do not mind bringing that many rounds as I have around 700 rounds just sitting around doing nothing. I also have 20x 18 round mags. I normally do HvZs so something like this would be a first for me. If you think I will still be ok I would happy to drive on down and check out this event.

#17 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:35 PM

I am more of a super stock guy as I don't really do the homemade+stefans. I am actually a former XC runner also(tad out of shape though haha). I also do not mind bringing that many rounds as I have around 700 rounds just sitting around doing nothing. I also have 20x 18 round mags. I normally do HvZs so something like this would be a first for me. If you think I will still be ok I would happy to drive on down and check out this event.

That sounds ok, as long as you're careful about dart spamming!

#18 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:35 PM

I am more of a super stock guy as I don't really do the homemade+stefans.

Dude, the first APOC I went to I didn't have a "competitive" homemade. But if you got something you can work with, then work it. My first time I had an Alpha Trooper for one of the capture type game. The guys were like really? Then they saw what I could do, and were like I want you next round. Granted it was like 4 years ago, but still.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#19 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:29 PM

Dude, the first APOC I went to I didn't have a "competitive" homemade. But if you got something you can work with, then work it. My first time I had an Alpha Trooper for one of the capture type game. The guys were like really? Then they saw what I could do, and were like I want you next round. Granted it was like 4 years ago, but still.

If anything, superstock is more advantageous now than 4 years ago. Advanced flywheel blasters are a huge step up over what was available 4 years ago. From the NIC perspective, I'm not aware of anything which has advanced in a similar fashion over that same 4 year span.

QED: I think if equipped correctly, a superstock setup can work just fine at Apoc.

Edited by shandsgator8, 13 April 2016 - 07:30 PM.

#20 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:57 AM

For most wars I would tell you that you could try rolling a superstock blaster all day, and you just need to be prepared to lose darts, reload quickly between rounds, and run your ass off.  The field at Apoc has much less cover than most, though, so the range and velocity gap matters a lot more.  You wouldn't be the first person to do it, other people have used stock blasters like the rapidstrike at Apoc, and still had a great time, but they also stepped up to NIC blasters if they came back for more events. 

If you show up with only a super stock blaster and you end up getting frustrated that you're having trouble hitting anything, someone will probably be willing to loan you a homemade for a few rounds, but there are only so many spares and loaners to go around, so it's easier if you buy or build something yourself. 

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#21 Drev

Drev

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:22 AM

I should be able to make it along with 1-3 others.

Check out my blog: Fly Nerf

#22 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:30 PM

Like Langley said, you can and it has been done. I did it with a retaliator 2 years ago. It can be done, and you will be running a lot. 

Honestly, just TRY to make one of the homemades I linked. They're meant to be easy, and I have made a homemade. I'm 15, it's not too hard. 
Hell, if you want to be bold you can buy part pieces off people or get some of them printed, and you'll have an easier homemade. All the money you've put in your stryfe, you can use to probably buy a Pullback. Hell, a fucking 4B with a wye set up is very cheap and not that hard

I recently went to PSU and survived as a human til the near end, I can say that HVZs with lots of people, 13 hours lugging crap over 20 miles was more than any war I've been too. If you have done a large HVZ I think you'd be fine here, I have been to lots of NIC wars and while there is as much running, you have breaks. At an NIC war, it's just harder to hit people with flywheels or anything stock and you're way out of range.

TL;DR show up, but at least try building a homemade. 20 18 stick mags will not last you all day, and you will probably sweep yourself for yours darts as you have enough for one whole reload of all your mags. (700 darts, 360 to load all your stuff) 
It really isn't that hard or as complicated as it seems.

#23 pvpxan

pvpxan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:14 PM

It is not a matter not not being able to make my own, I just prefer a certain blaster style. I also enjoy modding of actual nerf blasters and I am big into flywheels.

#24 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 01:28 AM

Honestly, you guys are way overthinking this.  Just bring what you want to use (within the rules) and have fun with it.  Superstock can work at Apoc if you are reasonably athletic, opportunistic, and enjoy a good challenge.  The woods in between the "alleys" and on both sides of them reduce the advantage of power, making your flywheels more competitive if you're good with them.  It's obvious that such blasters have difficulty making hits in the open and at range, so forget the obvious and try different strategies that play to their strengths.

That said, carpe testiculum is planned to take place during the dedicated superstock rounds, at least twice.  That alone will be worth attending for!  BRING LOTS OF MAGS AND LIGHT EM UP!

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)
NYC Nerf Ops - Nerf in New York City itself
NJ Nerf Ops - Nerf in New Jersey
CT Nerf Ops - Nerf in Connecticut

UNO also has a Discord server, DM me on Discord to join (@vincentdrake)

-----------------------------------------------
My other groups:
Nerf Thrifters - A group for posting thrifts and other second-hand finds

#25 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:58 AM

I'll try to make it out this year.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NJ, Apoc

0 user(s) are reading this topic