longshot mods springs

7 replies to this topic

#1 jsharma17

jsharma17

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:47 PM

Hi everyone, 

I was wondering what is "best" spring for a longshot cs-12. When I mean best I the most power while considering ease of use.

For example, a 22 kg spring has so much power but even with reinforcement, it is incredibly hard to prime. A 7kg spring is easy to prime but, only shoots ~80 ft. I want to say that Oznerfnerd's (14 kg spring) is the best choice but I don't know if it's hard to prime. 

Thanks,

- jsharma17

Can I make orduh for pickahp pls?

#2 Cartaya

Cartaya

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 08:57 PM

Most people like 14 kg's usually it's a 1.125" x 5.5" X.100 gauge spring with about 8-10 coils if you order from an aftermarket shop like Oznerf or Black Tactical (warning terrible shipping prices from BT).  Personally I like the Xplorer 18 kg spring, Have you ever looked at a Home depot spring and wish it were longer but the rest the same?...well essentially, that's what Xplorer did, build one of the nicest springs I have seen in recent memory. I have been using it on a lot of blasters lately because It's like an Everbilt 7/8"x4"x.080 (14 coils) spring from Home depot except it's stretched to 5.25" with 14.5 coils total (7/8"x5.25"x.080").  This makes it so it has a steeper wire pitch and more power, 1.3" solid clearance, but cut down to 10 coils fits most Nerf blasters that can use a 7/8"ths spring. 

However, a good alternative is to use a Century Spring Company C-882 spring and cut it down to 6" (15 coils).  You got to cut the spring, square the spring, file the spring (some would argue it would work just fine open coil but I try to be smooth about it)  The yield is around 14 kg's but it has a little more precompression and also costs $5 at Orchard Supply and Hardware.  If you use the stock longshot spring with that, it's almost 18 kg's.

Edited by Cartaya, 02 April 2016 - 09:02 PM.

....Fear of a Nerf Planet!

#3 jsharma17

jsharma17

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:02 PM

Most people like 14 kg's usually it's a 1.125" x 5.5" X.100 gauge spring with about 8-10 coils if you order from an aftermarket shop like Oznerf or Black Tactical (warning terrible shipping prices from BT).  Personally I like the Xplorer 18 kg spring, Have you ever looked at a Home depot spring and wish it were longer but the rest the same?...well essentially, that's what Xplorer did, build one of the nicest springs I have seen in recent memory. I have been using it on a lot of blasters lately because It's like an Everbilt 7/8"x4"x.080 (14 coils) spring from Home depot except it's stretched to 5.25" with 14.5 coils total (x7/8"x5.25"x.080").  This makes it so it has a steeper wire pitch and more power, 1.3" solid clearance, but cut down to 10 coils fits most Nerf blasters that can use a 7/8ths spring. 

However, a good alternative is to use a Century Spring Company C-882 spring and cut it down to 6" (15 coils).  you got to cut the spring, square the spring, file the spring (some would argue it would work just fine open coil but I try to be smooth about it)  The yield is around 14 kg's but it has a little more precompression and also costs $5 at Orchard Supply and Hardware.  If you use the stock longshot spring with that, it's almost 18 kg's.

I think I'm intrigued by the 14kg spring, is it hard to prime?

#4 Cartaya

Cartaya

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:18 PM

Well that depends how strong you are, if your a kid, yes, if your a teen/adult, no.

....Fear of a Nerf Planet!

#5 jsharma17

jsharma17

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:16 PM

Well that depends how strong you are, if your a kid, yes, if your a teen/adult, no.

Ok, what are the fps scores for a longshot with a 14 kg spring in it and Can I one hand prime it? I am the typical 13 year old.

Edited by jsharma17, 06 April 2016 - 07:54 PM.

#6 markeski

markeski

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:26 AM

8KG OMW spring does the job just fine for superstock and will be maxed on the field in terms of effective use with a proper air tight breech.  I've spoken with Heng of Xplorer and he advised me that their 18kg spring is near identical to OMW's 10kg spring, but the majority of springs they sell and install in their blasters are the 14kg variety (which in reality is comparable to the omw 8kg spring).  Anymore load then that and you send darts farther but the wind will take them off into the sunset.  Its not range that's important, its effective range, the distance where you can accurately hit stuff a good majority of the time.  If you rely on long range pot shots then just angle your blaster 45 degrees and spray and pray.  

I've found that most "aimed" shots that hit after a year of warring happened at 75 feet or less; even if many shots may have landed and or hit at further distances it was more practical to wait for a close engagement distance instead of spamming and wasting ammo.  If you're building up something greater then the needs of an 8kg spring it'll hit harder at a higher fps but from my experiences won't necessarily be anymore accurate.  

I had 14kg in my LS and it was hitting 220fps maxed on the chrony with elite darts, they hit hard and can shoot through cardboard box layers but I personally didn't want to get hit with that and I knew most others wouldn't either at a super stock game with a mix of kids and adult players (if you are going to start tickling this range, just go to NIC homemade wars and fire stupid power airblasters and leave welts).  I also realized after rapid priming my arms would get tired after a while with the 14kg springload and I wasn't pulling back the shotgun grip all the way to catch and then get a lot of misfeeds.  The performance with various strength springs at a short distance wasn't different enough to justify the huge load springs and sacrifice rate of fire and reliable priming.

One hand priming the 8kg spring is possible, but for that I recommend the stage 1-2 omw kits that come with a polycarbonate high impact bolt sled.  The stock sled will bend and twist and snap with one hand priming relatively easily with 8kg or more spring loads (i have broken one myself even using a shotgun grip, which is essentially 2 handed priming as it pulls from both sides evenly).  

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Edited by markeski, 07 April 2016 - 09:27 AM.

#7 jsharma17

jsharma17

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:12 PM

8KG OMW spring does the job just fine for superstock and will be maxed on the field in terms of effective use with a proper air tight breech.  I've spoken with Heng of Xplorer and he advised me that their 18kg spring is near identical to OMW's 10kg spring, but the majority of springs they sell and install in their blasters are the 14kg variety (which in reality is comparable to the omw 8kg spring).  Anymore load then that and you send darts farther but the wind will take them off into the sunset.  Its not range that's important, its effective range, the distance where you can accurately hit stuff a good majority of the time.  If you rely on long range pot shots then just angle your blaster 45 degrees and spray and pray.  

I've found that most "aimed" shots that hit after a year of warring happened at 75 feet or less; even if many shots may have landed and or hit at further distances it was more practical to wait for a close engagement distance instead of spamming and wasting ammo.  If you're building up something greater then the needs of an 8kg spring it'll hit harder at a higher fps but from my experiences won't necessarily be anymore accurate.  

I had 14kg in my LS and it was hitting 220fps maxed on the chrony with elite darts, they hit hard and can shoot through cardboard box layers but I personally didn't want to get hit with that and I knew most others wouldn't either at a super stock game with a mix of kids and adult players (if you are going to start tickling this range, just go to NIC homemade wars and fire stupid power airblasters and leave welts).  I also realized after rapid priming my arms would get tired after a while with the 14kg springload and I wasn't pulling back the shotgun grip all the way to catch and then get a lot of misfeeds.  The performance with various strength springs at a short distance wasn't different enough to justify the huge load springs and sacrifice rate of fire and reliable priming.

One hand priming the 8kg spring is possible, but for that I recommend the stage 1-2 omw kits that come with a polycarbonate high impact bolt sled.  The stock sled will bend and twist and snap with one hand priming relatively easily with 8kg or more spring loads (i have broken one myself even using a shotgun grip, which is essentially 2 handed priming as it pulls from both sides evenly).  

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thanks so much! Should I just use the oznerfnerd spring?

#8 markeski

markeski

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:51 AM

I think I thoroughly explained my opinion on which spring I recommend.  If you want a heavy draw weight for as much distance as possible then put the most hefty spring you can find in there, 14kg fine, but things like a sealed breech, properly tuned barrel (length appropriate) and strong polycarbonate or metal internals that can handle such a heavy spring will also all be necessary.  Personally I run an 8kg spring with a sealed breech and it works great with just basic polycarbonate internals. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users