8 replies to this topic

#1 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:48 PM

"Damn Van, back at it again with superstock stuff"
Disclaimer : I may use mag and clip interchangeably because you know what I'm talking about

I'll teach you how to make these,
IMG_8145.jpg

Intro : I'm surprised there isn't a decent guide for this, since this is like 2005 era tech when 6 mags were all people had. A lot of people thrift 6 mags, and they're pretty much free. People may just give them to you if you ask, and as an asian brought up to be cheap and use all resources I have, I acquired 14+ 6 mags for practically free, or a dollar. I like 12 mags because they are mid cap but are easy to store on a vest or belt, especially if you move or drop down a lot. Reliability for me is fine, the only reason one broke is because one of the lips broke off so it couldn't feed. My friends avoid these like the plague in case a failure to feed, but they haven't jammed for me yet. I tested some of these through 2 wars, and it held fine. I've fingerbanged one of these with flywheels and it fed fine. 

"Why don't you just buy mags? there's worker, and thrifting" you may ask. Well, some of us are cheap and broke, with horrible thrift stores. These are practically free, I used what I had laying around to make these. These are dubbed "Vanags" by my friends because they're made by Van, (me).  Honestly they're ghetto mags, 

Materials : You'll need
Duct tape
Dremel (hacksaw is fine)
Screw driver
File / Sandpaper

Optional :
epoxy (to perma bond, I don't do it but you can!)
Sharpie 
Ruler (these 2 for precision)
Vice (useful but not required)
WD-40 (lube that shit for his comfort)

IMG_8114.jpg

Steps : Gather your shit together and unscrew the mags. You need to take out the springs. You can take out the follower but I leave it in because I cut in a way it doesn't get in the way. 

IMG_8116.jpg

Take the 2 springs, and connect at this point here. 

IMG_8117.jpg

Thanduct tape them together, 

IMG_8118.jpg

Put that aside and focus on the mag. You want to cut below any rivets you see. I cut a bit over dart view on the old 6 for the lower half of the mag, and a bit above the texturing for the bottom cut of the mag. Sharpie and a ruler is great here. 

IMG_8120.jpg

Cut along that line with your hacksaw and dremel on both mags. Make sure you have a top and bottom.
IMG_8122.jpg

Than deburr that shit, and if you kept the follower in, see if it can come in and out. You may have to sand a bit, I sanded a lot so 
it would be more reliable. 

IMG_8128 (1).jpg
IMG_8130.jpg

IMG_8131.jpg

Once your all sanded, and your follower can gravity fall in and out of both upper and lower mags without any issues, take one follower and dremel (or cut with hacksaw blade) a notch for the spring to rest. 
IMG_8132.jpg

IMG_8133.jpg

Put a strip of duct tape on the side of the wall, or somewhere you can acess. Make sure it's long enough to wrap the mag 1 -1/2 times

IMG_8139.jpg

Put your spring in one of the guides, and close up the lower mag. Than conect both mags. If they were cut nicely and fit together, that's nice. If not, you'll have to adjust to make it work. 
IMG_8134.jpg

IMG_8136.jpg

Make sure you can see down the mag walls with no resistance. Push on the follower down all the way, (down to the bottom) and make sure it follows flawlessly.

IMG_8137.jpg

IMG_8138.jpg

Once it is in place, you want to tape the mags together with that duct tape. DON'T TAPE TIGHTLY, try to tape it in place holding it, amongst the surface but not so tight it clamps the mag so the follower can't feed. Test to make sure the magazine still follows and work 

IMG_8141.jpg

Test the mag a few times. I always fire 60 shots out of it to make sure it's reliable. You can spray WD 40 lightly down the mag to help it lube, but I don't. Once it's secure and reliable, I tape over the tape with another 2 wraps of duct tape, you can add more wraps, or use epoxy to keep it permanenet but I have no problems with duct tape. 

IMG_8143.jpg

I spammed using USCs + buzzbee darts and rapid fire in a sentinel for testing and reliability. 

IMG_8144.jpg

As mentioned in the intro, I did test some older ones in a overhauled stryfe and they fed fine. Use whatever darts you will use, and the primary you will use for these mags to make sure they work. The duct tape may make it harder to put in some blasters like the recon Mk2 because of the guard rail, and I have had issues on the Raven with more wraps of duct tape. 

If it fails in a fight, just Tap, Rack, Bang! (Slap the bottom of the mag, rack to prime again if applicable, than fire. If fails to feed again, extract mag and forget about it, and change to another mag) I've never had to do this, but may be crucial to remember. 
IMG_8146.jpg

Is this useful? Probably not too much now and  inapplicable. Probably shoulda been posted 10 years ago but hey, it's here now for all you poor superstock guys. 

Edited by Snoop Doggy doge, 21 March 2016 - 07:06 PM.

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:11 PM

Cool concept, how often have you had it malfunction? Also, how long does this process take?

#3 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:51 PM

I'm surprised there isn't a decent guide for this, since this is like 2005 era tech when 6 mags were all people had.

http://nerfhaven.com...ag-combination/

TED was actually the first person on NerfHaven known to have done it, but Slug is the one who wrote it up.  The funny thing is, he showed it to one of Hasbro's engineers in person, and the guy blew him off like he was unimpressed.  But 18 months later (the exact timeframe for Hasbro to go from concept to release) those extended mags started showing up on shelves. 

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#4 Number 1 nerf nut

Number 1 nerf nut

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:00 PM

The funny thing is, he showed it to one of Hasbro's engineers in person, and the guy blew him off like he was unimpressed.  But 18 months later (the exact timeframe for Hasbro to go from concept to release) those extended mags started showing up on shelves. 

That's tooooooooo Funny :lol:

1 Peter 2:24 "Who His own self bare our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed."

Get Ready for Jesus, He is coming soon!

#5 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:46 PM

lmfao,
well shit, I googled this like 3 months ago and found only shitty YT vids.
I didn't use the correct search terms, and wasted a good hour on this writeup lmao.

It's more ghetto! duct tape and hacksaw lmao,

#6 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:34 AM

Yeah, the trick is that they were longshot mags back then, it was a while before another clip-system blaster was released, so you have to search the longshot thread. http://nerfhaven.com...ing-a-longshot/

TED's original thread was in there too, but the image links are broken. 

Another thing I remember seeing is someone who dremeled out the horizontal ridge inbetween the vertical ridges on the mags.  They inserted brass bars (from the same brass display racks that you find brass barrels in) in between those vertical ridges to keep the two mags aligned and connected.  

Edit: The longshot thread is from nearly 10 years ago.  Fuck, I'm old. 

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#7 Pointman9

Pointman9

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:07 AM

Lubricating these with WD-40 is not recommended. Silicone spray would be better, WD-40 will degrade the plastic.
There is no such thing as overkill. There is only cost efficiency.

#8 CCBall

CCBall

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:25 AM

Could you make an 18 out of this concept?

I'm just a nerd with Asperger's Syndrome and a few electronics.

#9 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:42 AM

Lubricating these with WD-40 is not recommended. Silicone spray would be better, WD-40 will degrade the plastic.

edited, thank you!

Could you make an 18 out of this concept?

probably would be a 17 because you have to cut on top and bottom on a third mag, may be harder to make reliable. You can and probably want to use epoxy on it too

Cool concept, how often have you had it malfunction? Also, how long does this process take?

Sorry for taking so long, I never had a good one malfunction, but in testing it does. I just slap the bottom. This took an hour, with testing and taking pics, but I did make like 8 of these so I got bettere at making them. Took less than 1/2 an hour to make another one after this,

Edited by Snoop Doggy doge, 20 March 2016 - 11:42 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 6 dartmag, mod, clip, extended, easy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users