8 replies to this topic

#1 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • State:Ontario
  • MKC on Youtube

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:38 PM

Opinions please. I am planning out a blaster that will be using a big salvo tank and big blast tank on the same pump. I have a few questions since I am new to airgun mods.
1. I am using a plugged hornet pump, will this provide enough pressure to both guns? I want big blast/salvo ranges out of it, nothing less.
2. Can I just solvent weld an endcap on the big blast tank instead of adding an oprv svt style since there is one in the hornet pump? Will this cause any problems?
3. Can someone tell me a setup with check valves in the right places so I can fire the big blast but keep the salvo pumped up, then pump up the big blast again? Even just a setup where I can fire them without emptying the other, even if I have to fire both before repumping would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by The2ndBluesBro, 20 August 2015 - 02:39 PM.

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#2 vaan

vaan

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:29 PM

#1, Yeah. It will. Just plan on pumping it quite a bit to fill both tanks, and if you don't set up some type of way to switch tanks, I'd imagine you'd damage the big Salvo tank when trying to get the BBBB tank up to pressure.
To answer #2, if you're using a plugged pump, you've negated the oprv valve, so as to why you'd negate one then add abother doesn't make sense to me, unless you wanted an adjustable one.

Edited by vaan, 20 August 2015 - 03:32 PM.

#3 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • State:Alberta
  • u/erfnay on Reddit
  • Erfnay on Youtube

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

#1, Yeah. It will. Just plan on pumping it quite a bit to fill both tanks, and if you don't set up some type of way to switch tanks, I'd imagine you'd damage the big Salvo tank when trying to get the BBBB tank up to pressure.

Pumping up the 4B tank with the Salvo already at pressure wouldn't be an issue since air always moves from high pressure to low pressure. No air will go to the Salvo until it and the 4B tank are at equal pressure.

Everyone hates engineers because they listen to what you say and then think about it.

Check out my YouTube!

#4 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • MKC on Youtube

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:04 AM

If I add a ball valve in between the salvo/blast button and pump, will that allow me to fill the big blast independently of the salvo? That should also reduce pumping if I close the valve once the salvo is full since the salvo is just an emergency shot anyway. Thanks for all the help.

Edited by The2ndBluesBro, 21 August 2015 - 11:06 AM.

#5 Drev

Drev

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:04 AM

In the case of check valves, use a t connector or something to split the tubing from the pump into two tubes now. On one of the two, put a check valve on it and then lead the tubing from the check valve into another t connector, to split it once again. Then attach the big salvo tank to one part, and the blast button to the other. Just make sure the two don't have much tubing in between them, because it won't work as well then. Going all the way back to the original t connector that you used, run some tubing up to the 4B, and you're good. I did a mod almost exactly like this, so I hope that all makes sense. The only problem that I foresee in this setup is if the hornet pump is plugged, then there is no oprv. I think the best way to fix this is probably to SVT the 4B.
Check out my blog: Fly Nerf

#6 vaan

vaan

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:42 AM

Pumping up the 4B tank with the Salvo already at pressure wouldn't be an issue since air always moves from high pressure to low pressure. No air will go to the Salvo until it and the 4B tank are at equal pressure.

The 4b tank would take a higher pressure to achieve, so in order to fill BOTH tanks it would take quite a bit of pumping, also, I'm not sure of the difference in tank strength, but you could risk blowing the salvo tank.

#7 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • State:Alberta
  • u/erfnay on Reddit
  • Erfnay on Youtube

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:07 PM

The 4b tank would take a higher pressure to achieve, so in order to fill BOTH tanks it would take quite a bit of pumping, also, I'm not sure of the difference in tank strength, but you could risk blowing the salvo tank.

I completely agree that it will take a lot of pumping, and I could be completely wrong in saying that since the big blast has a larger volume it will have more air flowing to it than the Salvo while still having the same pressure.

Again, this isn't really my element but it's one of the principles that I used in making my panther arm cannon

Everyone hates engineers because they listen to what you say and then think about it.

Check out my YouTube!

#8 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:54 PM

Drev, I think that your way would deplete the big blast tank any time he fired the Big Salvo. On the other hand, it may just allow him to fire the Big Salvo a second time without having to re-pump.

I believe that this setup will let him fire either the Big Salvo or the Big Blast first:
Posted Image
Note: the objects labeled "CV1" and "CV2" are both check valves. The green are tees. Keep the red tubing as short as possible for the best performance.

You can use the above setup if you promise to stop calling it "SVT style" and just say "I'm going to put a forward facing pump on a big blast." ;)

As to breaking the big salvo:

If both tanks are hooked up via a tee to the same pump, each time you pump will build the same amount of pressure in both tanks. The question is: are you strong enough to keep pumping to the point where one or both tanks bursts? Salvo tanks are known to be relatively fragile, but you also don't need to build a ton of pressure in a big blast in order to get good performance.

My suggestion is to hook the air system components together, and slowly test it: Try something like 5 pumps then test ranges from each tank, then try 6 pumps and range test, etc. If you get to a point where a tank explodes, then get a new tank and pump less times. In other words:

1. Pump up. Count how many pumps.
2. Keep going until you hear a loud "bang".
3. Subtract one pump from the total. Rebuild your air [tank].

Edit: You could potentially close off the Big Blast's stock pump while keeping it's stock check valve intact. That would take the place of CV2.

Edited by jwasko, 21 August 2015 - 02:04 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#9 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • MKC on Youtube

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:58 PM

Drev, I think that your way would deplete the big blast tank any time he fired the Big Salvo. On the other hand, it may just allow him to fire the Big Salvo a second time without having to re-pump.

I believe that this setup will let him fire either the Big Salvo or the Big Blast first:
Posted Image
Note: the objects labeled "CV1" and "CV2" are both check valves. The green are tees. Keep the red tubing as short as possible for the best performance.

You can use the above setup if you promise to stop calling it "SVT style" and just say "I'm going to put a forward facing pump on a big blast." ;)

As to breaking the big salvo:

If both tanks are hooked up via a tee to the same pump, each time you pump will build the same amount of pressure in both tanks. The question is: are you strong enough to keep pumping to the point where one or both tanks bursts? Salvo tanks are known to be relatively fragile, but you also don't need to build a ton of pressure in a big blast in order to get good performance.

My suggestion is to hook the air system components together, and slowly test it: Try something like 5 pumps then test ranges from each tank, then try 6 pumps and range test, etc. If you get to a point where a tank explodes, then get a new tank and pump less times.

Thanks I think this answers my question, unless anyone else has anything to add we can consider the thread closed. I will try to do a writeup on it to help people in the future trying to do a similar mod.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users