Suction Tagger Darts

Suction Darts, Tagger Darts, Elite Darts, Dart Tag

No replies to this topic

#1 jbeckert

jbeckert

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:07 PM

For Dart Tag enthusiasts, I've been researching a good method to make Tagger-type darts that will feed in clip system blasters. I decided to try a couple of variations using the small round sticky-back Velcro you can find at places like Walmart.

I initially tried modifying Elite darts, by using a leather punch to hammer out the Velcro in small circles just big enough to stick to the heads of the Elite darts (which is kind of a PITA). This seems to work moderately well. On the plus side, you gain something approaching Elite ranges, with a dart that can now stick to Dart Tag vests and jerseys. On the minus side, the Velcro is just a small patch on the very front of the dart, so if the dart hits the target at an oblique angle, it is likely to bounce off and not stick.

The next thing I tried, was modifying the new Nerf Suction Darts. I tell you what, these darts kinda suck at sticking to flat surfaces, but for modifying into Taggers, they're GREAT! Method is similar to the above, but easier; peel off a sticky-back Velcro, lay it on a hard flat surface sticky-side-up, then press the suction head of a Suction Dart down onto it HARD so the cup spreads out. Then the Velcro is both suctioned and glued to the head of the dart! Finally just take some small scissors and trim off the excess Velcro. These darts are not as ballistically efficient as Elites, and so don't go nearly as far. But their ranges are basically the same as actual Taggers, with the addition that they will operate in clip system blasters. They are also VERY good at sticking to targets regardless of the angle you're shooting at. My impression is that the flexible Suction head is good at forming to the surface as it hits, so these are very effective. If you look around, it looks like you can also (currently) buy Suction Darts a bit more cheaply than you can Taggers... though of course buying Velcro will add a bit to that cost. Still, all-in-all, very pleased with these.

NOTE: If you decide to make these, be sure you follow the instructions on the Velcro and let the glue set for at least 24 hours before you subject them to serious action!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users