Photo

Making metal stampede gears

making upgraded nerf parts with 3D printing technolegy.

7 replies to this topic

#1 MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 7 posts
  • State:Victoria

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:27 AM

using 3D printing i have been using 3D models of parts known to break starting with my personal favorite, the stampede.
Having experienced many broken gearboxes with a larger spring i decided the work on that first.
with a 3D model i printed from multiple companys to test if they were functional.

here are photos of different gears printed by different materials. Initially the center holes were too small and after measuring the gear pegs i discovered the 3D gears needed to be adjusted. So i taught myself how to use sketch up and made the fixes.
since then i have gone on to produce the stampede catchplate also :) i might make other parts in the future.

http://tinyurl.com/nafvset

my models can be seen on shapeways, im testing them all now!
https://www.nope.com

Removing all your shapeways link spam.

Edited by Langley, 09 July 2015 - 11:47 AM.

#2 Birch

Birch

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • State:Massachusetts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:59 AM

3D printing is great, don't get me wrong, but the parts that come out of a 3D printer probably won't much stronger than the abs nerf gears. They probably work fine, but if you are really trying to go for a product that will increase the performance of the stampede, I would look into either casting metal or fibre reinforced rein gears, or laser cutting nylon, polycarbonate or acetal gears.

It's like a Hurricane ate a Tornado and shat out a Monsoon!!

#3 Quack

Quack

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:52 AM

3D printing is great, don't get me wrong, but the parts that come out of a 3D printer probably won't much stronger than the abs nerf gears. They probably work fine, but if you are really trying to go for a product that will increase the performance of the stampede, I would look into either casting metal or fibre reinforced rein gears, or laser cutting nylon, polycarbonate or acetal gears.

I'm not sure if his are metal but on shapeways you can buy them in metal.

When I get excited I eat rocks.

#4 MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:52 AM

the gears in the center are stainless steel. the ones on the ends are hard plastic :ph34r:

#5 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:21 AM

You said you had these printed from a few companies; are the ones in your picture all from shapeways?

Is there any reason for printing the middle two in metal and the outer two in plastic (as opposed to, say, the opposite of that) or did you just pick two at random?

How are the gears that you had printed holding up? With what sping(s)?

Have you used them a lot (say, throughout an entire war or week-long HvZ), or have you just tried a few magazines of darts around the house?

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#6 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,190 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/MeakerVI on Reddit

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:24 AM

I wouldn't even trust laser-cut gears for that kind of use. Get them from a proper manufacturer. 3d printed metal is going to cost more and preform worse than manufactured gears. Finding correct ones will be tough, but shouldn't be impossible.

Holy smokes, looked at the links. $55 for a gear?

#7 MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:27 PM

I wouldn't even trust laser-cut gears for that kind of use. Get them from a proper manufacturer. 3d printed metal is going to cost more and preform worse than manufactured gears. Finding correct ones will be tough, but shouldn't be impossible.

Holy smokes, looked at the links. $55 for a gear?

each metal gear should be around $15 because the largest one is the strongest and doesent need to be replaced.
Im receiving prototypes in the mail soon and will post photos of new gears and a new stampede catch plate i made.

#8 racer188

racer188

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • State:California

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:27 AM

each metal gear should be around $15 because the largest one is the strongest and doesent need to be replaced.
Im receiving prototypes in the mail soon and will post photos of new gears and a new stampede catch plate i made.

Very interested in seeing the gears. I'd definitely be purchasing a few for my stampede. I've had to JB weld the one gear that slips over the square peg one down as it could not take the added spring load I have on my brass breeched shorten stampede. I'm using a 9kg blasterparts spring and their beefed up catch spring. Thing fires at 120fps easily but i'm sure the stock gears will give up in a war.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users