Jump to content


Photo

Issues with modifying an Elite Alpha Trooper


7 replies to this topic

#1 ricter

ricter

    Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

I've followed this guide (http://nerfhaven.com...opic=23993&st=0) in order to mod my Elite Alpha Trooper, but ran into an issue with the blaster. When I cock the blaster, it no longer catches on the door in the rear of the blaster. Ironically, I had left the locks in the blaster because I saw comments about priming issues with the locks removed, but I still ran into the issue anyways. I've since removed the locks in order to see if that may fix the issue, but no dice. Any suggestions on how to fixing the priming issue? I can think of some rather inelegant solutions (like sanding/filing down some bits or bulking up others with plastidip/glue) but those are all messy and seem prone to breaking. I'd rather have a stable, long-term solution for hopefully obvious reasons.

I can provide pictures if they would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
  • 0

#2 Droid31

Droid31

    Member

  • Members
  • 266 posts
  • Location:46755
  • State:Indiana
  • Country:United States

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

Wait till the 31st for the OMW kit
  • 0

#3 Duke Wintermaul

Duke Wintermaul

    Member

  • Members
  • 516 posts
  • Location:Dayton
  • State:Ohio
  • Country:United States

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

Don't waste your money on OMW, all you need is a beefier catch spring.

The guide you linked does use an upgraded spring and a new catch spring, did you add both of these springs? If you only added the mainspring, you need a better catch spring.

The issues you are describing meet the symptoms of a weak catch spring.

And anytime you post a HELP thread, included a picture or twelve. Don't even bother waiting for somebody to ask you for one, most people won't give a second glance at a pictureless HELP thread.
  • 0

#4 Mully

Mully

    Member

  • Members
  • 342 posts
  • Location:La
  • State:California
  • Country:United States

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

You might've flipped the catch or just re-installed it incorrectly; the catch spring may be too weak (an issue if you've upped the main spring); one or a number of things could be slightly off with your blaster or the way it was modified, go ahead and upload some pictures, it'll make diagnosing the issue easier.
Don't file/sand/add anything extra right now, usually these sorts of problems are easy to fix.
  • 0
S.C.U.N.

#5 deathturtle

deathturtle

    Member

  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

At the back of the breech is a small ring attached (not the O-Ring but you can see it in Jeo's pick of the breech pulled out) If that comes off when drilling, IT NEEDS TO GO BACK ON, or when priming the catch will not engage.


I'm a bit of a newbie here, so I don't know how to make the quote say who it is from, but Griever 2112 said that in the reply section of the mod guide you followed.
  • 0

#6 T da B

T da B

    Member

  • Members
  • 80 posts
  • Location:San Jose, California
  • State:California
  • Country:United States

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

I've never owned an EAT, but I'm almost sure that this is the same issue I ran into with my Rampage when I upgraded the spring. The problem is that the increased spring power causes the metal priming bar to flex as well as the shell and internals. This results in the bolt not being able to push back the plunger enough. If the plunger is designed the same as the Rampage's, you can solve it the same way I did: Add a 1/8''-1/4'' disc of foam into the circular depression on the plunger head. This will give the plunger the extra little push it needs.

Hope this helps,
~T
  • 0
Make it funky.

#7 foamboy31

foamboy31

    Member

  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • Location:Kendallville
  • State:Indiana
  • Country:United States

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

buy a zombie strike longshot
USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

Don't post in all lowercase.

Edited by Zorns Lemma, 15 August 2014 - 12:55 PM.

  • -1

#8 stoph

stoph

    Member

  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Location:Adelaide
  • State:South Australia
  • Country:Australia

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

There's also alignment issues with beefier springs. Most EAT mod kits available use a tube system that sits behind the catch, which the tail of the plunger rod passes through. It aligns the rod so that when the sear comes into play, it's at the correct height. Experiment with a range of PVC stubs to see which ones will work for you.
  • 0


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users