Actual Silencer?

is it feasible to fit a noise reducer?

43 replies to this topic

#26 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 05:35 AM

you *could* use a night finder or sharpshooter or something...barrel replacement is pretty much run-of-the-mill for any given gun, with a few quirks, and you know about a working silencer design, so just find a gun with minimal piston clang and mod away.

#27 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 05:42 AM

Well, i have got a $2 store gun. But thats a four shot revolver. I opened it up and theres not much i can do to the internals. So once i finally find some PVC, im going to mod it and post some pictures. I've already taken it apart, taken pictures and such. All i have to do is take some PVC; cement it on; take some pictures; and range test it.

I like the LNL for its simplicity and facsimilie aspect of it. It looks like a real gun, and with minimal effort and plastic moulding, could become even more like one.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#28 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 05:45 AM

yup! :) minimalism at its finest.

#29 polarthunder

polarthunder

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 06:49 PM

Umm, maybe off topic now, but I just had to say this. Airsoft silencers do in fact work and are not " just a piece of PVC fitted over the barrel". Many are made of metal and have foam in them. I have seen, felt, and used many silencers and can say they all work to a certain degree. I will have to say that most of the noise comes from the gearbox of an AEG (Automatic Electric Gun), but the noise that comes from the air released into the barrel and out at the muzzle is minimal to none with a silencer on.

#30 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:23 PM

a nerf gun doesnt have a motor. im not following your point (including your previous post)

#31 polarthunder

polarthunder

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 11:21 PM

Just making it clear that airsoft silencers do indeed work and that I doubt the authorities would care whether or not your nerf gun has a silencer. And plus, what kind of ranges are you shooting from? I mean, it's not going to make that big of a difference whether or not it's silenced.

#32 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 11:27 PM

ah, gotcha. range, probably within 30 feet, but the idea is to conceal oneself, then have a weapon that is quiet enough to not reveal your position.
in this particular case the internals are still too loud to make the silencer an effective component, but it does work; the muzzle blast is no longer audible (and it was pretty loud)

#33 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 12:44 AM

[CHANT]
We Need Recordings...
Bring Us Recordings...
*repeat*
[/CHANT]

Have you got a microphone and a few spare minutes?

#34 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 03:19 AM

yeah, yeah, as soon as i find my mic. which pile is it in...

#35 Worlds largest bed race

Worlds largest bed race

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 07:24 AM

Dude,I'm not joking about the dart trick scilencing the internal spring/plunger whack.All you have to do is push a tight fitting dart as far back as you can without shoving it into the plunger tube.

#36 Jlego

Jlego

One Armed Clan

• Moderators
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 09:55 AM

I'm glad there was already a discussion underway about this; I was going to start one, specifically about the sm5k.
I currently shoot mine sometimes in my neighborhood, and it's WAY too loud, one person mistaked it for a bb shot, or gunshot (I don't know which, they just ran inside their house. I didn’t think to ask... hehe).
Just as background my idea, I've wondered why there's no mention of using the barrel attachments to help center the brass (sm5k)? As is I have hollowed the dart attachment, which I can put on and take off like normal. It centers the barrel perfectly, from what I can see.
Some people may be getting the idea here, but anyways, I want to make the hollow ball launcher a screw on, screw off, removable silencer, and it seems perfectly fit for the job.
I've experimented with bored pvc (it must be centered) wrapped in cheap felt. The really cheap kind has lots of air space. I’ve had mediocre results so far, so I decided to call on the haven to help in my experiments.
This should come out awesome if done correctly, but I also think it would look cool.
Please share results here or, if you're really successful please pm me as well.
Well?
Get started!
~Jaxon of the LGLF

Gears: Ice9 and I have a relationship similar to that of myself and Jax.
liska: You snuggles?
Gears: The nerfers most likely to engage in a threesome.

I've seen you use an arrowstorm!!

#37 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 03:04 AM

well, unfortunately i'm not too familiar with nerf guns [and i'm about the only one on this forum that doesn't] , so i'm not so sure about the exact aim of your question. Generally, i think you're asking for a screw on/off silencer for your sm5k ... so i guess you will have to shop around for some casings that you might be able to attach to the barrel and silencer, if such a thing even exists.

If you want the easiest way out, you have two options...
1) Resort to the oh-so ugly, but favoured duct-tape -_-
2) Or, simply buy a cheap rubber vice/grip from your local hardware store ...

I'm also considering the option that this has absolutely nothing to do with what you asked ...

N.B. i'm always available to host some recordings, if you can't find a host yourself, so PM me if you want any help posting some sound recordings ...

#38 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 03:46 AM

i just need to actually do the recording. i have webspace.

jlego: big holes, right at the muzzle. little holes dispersed does so little as to be nothing. the centering of the PVC is only important for avoiding darts catching in the silencer, other than that symmetry of the bleed air flow is of no import.

#39 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 04:08 AM

Okto, i meant more anybody trying the silencing, including Jlego here, to record any sounds if they could, to make our job easier.

Just remember Jlego, you might have to silence the internals like okto, and unfortunately, some guns reach the maximum amount that they can be silenced to, so don't be too sad if you're gun can't be silenced to your liking.

#40 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 04:31 AM

yeah. try silencing a NF's internals *curses*
ill do an impression: popSLAMMMMMMMM!!
i swear, it sounds like that thing will survive about eight more shots before bits of the piston come flying out the barrel. i had a piece of pipe insulation glued to the front, but that lasted two shots before it got shredded. i dont know what nerf was thinking putting a spring that big in a plastic gun. you could use that thing as a recoil spring in an automatic pistol.

#41 Noob Modder

Noob Modder

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:48 PM

i took a scout and, by accident, with e-tape, made it silenced from the inside.
on a stock scout, there is a little circly thing at the barrel by the plunger. it should have 4 little holes thru which the air goes. put e-tape over teh holes and drill a hole to replace them. the e-tape cushions the plunger from hitting the thing that the plunger hits (don't know off top of head) that makes it a bit queieter

#42 Uterly

Uterly

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:10 PM

1. Date of last post: Jul 12 2004, 04:31 AM
2. Code of Conduct (read it)
3. That's freakin' four years ago
4. Ban for second necro today

#43 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:11 PM

Well, it was a relatively useful post adding to the discussion...
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#44 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:16 PM

i took a scout and, by accident, with e-tape, made it silenced from the inside.
on a stock scout, there is a little circly thing at the barrel by the plunger. it should have 4 little holes thru which the air goes. put e-tape over teh holes and drill a hole to replace them. the e-tape cushions the plunger from hitting the thing that the plunger hits (don't know off top of head) that makes it a bit queieter

Read the front page and then raad the god damned code of conduct. I am not in the mood for multiple warnings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users