Photo

New here from Tucson AZ, hoping to learn to fix/upgrade foam dart guns

5 replies to this topic

#1 SirNomad

SirNomad

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

Hey guys! My preschool aged son and I picked up a bunch of Nerf and Buzz Bee foam dart guns at the Goodwill Outlet. I've been into pellet firing type air guns for a while, and this seems really similar except with a lot more plastic parts. :-) I'd love to learn more about repainting these things and repair (especially some of this really old stuff I can't identify, and the Tetra Strike we found that ALMOST seems working except it doesn't push enough air to get the darts off the front. (I'd really love to fix this Tetra Strike!)

I see a lot of posts on modding, but where are the links on repair? Also, anyone out here in the Tucson area?

-Michael

#2 cchevelless

cchevelless

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

When your on the front page of nerfhaven click on the forums button and it will take you to a page that has general nerf, darts and barrels, mods, homemades, nerf wars, trading, and off topic. The thing that might help the best is click on mods and try the Official Internals Directory.

#3 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

FIXING requires the same skill and knowledge that modding does. The difference is that when "fixing", you will return it to the same standards as before. When you "mod" a broken blaster, it usually turns out better than before, or functionally different, depending on the modder.

#4 SirNomad

SirNomad

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

Well yeah! Of course...isn't modding just fixing it...BETTER? :-) On my first mod I've used brass to line the barrels of a Tek-3, and removed the post. That giant hole in the side of each barrel just seemed like a waste of air. Unfortunately, now the storebought darts won't fit loosely enough, I think it's because I used a tubing cutter instead of a razor saw. Next time I'll know. I wonder if I can find a CHEAP tool to flare the ends of those brass tubes, although I don't think I'll be able to get them out of the Tek-3 I already modded. On the flip side, the 1/2" caulk saver seems just right, so I'll have to make some darts from that. Annnnnnnd I need a low-temp glue gun for that! Looks like I'll be hunting for coupons for Michael's and Joanne's. LOL

Edited to add, the brass was 17/32" brass tubing I bought at Ace. The darts seemed fine in it before I cut it, so no more wheel-type tubing cutter on this!

Edited by SirNomad, 15 February 2014 - 10:50 PM.

#5 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

Well yeah! Of course...isn't modding just fixing it...BETTER? :-) On my first mod I've used brass to line the barrels of a Tek-3, and removed the post. That giant hole in the side of each barrel just seemed like a waste of air. Unfortunately, now the storebought darts won't fit loosely enough, I think it's because I used a tubing cutter instead of a razor saw. Next time I'll know. I wonder if I can find a CHEAP tool to flare the ends of those brass tubes, although I don't think I'll be able to get them out of the Tek-3 I already modded. On the flip side, the 1/2" caulk saver seems just right, so I'll have to make some darts from that. Annnnnnnd I need a low-temp glue gun for that! Looks like I'll be hunting for coupons for Michael's and Joanne's. LOL

Edited to add, the brass was 17/32" brass tubing I bought at Ace. The darts seemed fine in it before I cut it, so no more wheel-type tubing cutter on this!

There are a few tricks for the rolled brass. One is to stick a dowel of the same ID as the brass in the brass before cutting it, or you can flare the brass out with needle-nose pliers, or you can try scissors to bevel the brass edge. And 17/32's is marvelous for stock darts in springers. Your problem is that the blaster is a Tek3.

#6 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

In regards to fixing your brass barrels: Use a dremel sanding cone or some other large sanding bit that fits inside your barrel and lightly sand the edges of the lip (try not to go on the inside of the barrel, not too big of a deal if you do... after all this is a tek3) Once you get that down to mostly flush, go in with your needle nose pliers. Stick the tip down the barrel and quickly start twisting and it will pop the brass out on the edges. Sanding is done before this so that you don't smoosh the brass lip to the inside of the barrel. Post pics too if you want to get more help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users