Photo

blacklight responsive nerf

8 replies to this topic

#1 Ashenal

Ashenal

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Hi everyone. This is my first post so i hope this is going in the right spot. I recently decided to try a new approach to nerf. Mixing the atmoshpere of laser tag with all the greatness that is Nerf. This is a picture of my first run at painting my darts to react with the blacklight. The only issue with painting them was that if the paint is not 100% even, you will have darts veering off every different direction. I am going to order the zombiestrike darts as they seem to be neon green. But they arent available where i live so until they show up this is what i have to work with. Interested in wether or not anyone else has done this with nerf.Posted Image

Paint used was Krylon fusion white as a base. With armour coat flourescent yellow as a top coat.

Edited by Ashenal, 29 January 2014 - 05:30 PM.

#2 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

I've tried spray painting my darts to simply mark them as my own. It was a pretty big disaster with paint transferring to barrels and gumming them up. Half the blasters in my arsenal had to have darts physically pulled out with pliers. It was like they were glued in.

Fluorescent paint could be a pretty helpful way to do an after hours dart sweep if you have a battery powered blacklight/flashlight. It's a very cool idea though. I bet some laser tag arenas would let you rent the place out for a nerf war and it would rock to see the darts flying around!

Let me know if you have any of the paint adhesion issues I had?

Edited by shmmee, 29 January 2014 - 06:08 PM.

"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#3 WSU Cowboy

WSU Cowboy

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't white-out or the glow darts also react under a black light? Maybe I am missing the point here.
"Overkill is Underrated"-Omega Squadron, WSU

#4 Ashenal

Ashenal

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for the interest guys. About the paint adhesion issues, my problem came from dart to dart contact. They were sticking together, never did stick in the blasters though. Wrecked many a dart cause the blasters were essentially trying to load two darts instead of singles.

As for the glow darts, I assume you mean the firefly tech darts. I have a clip for my rayven and I have to say, when they came out of the clip fully charged they looked fantastic under blacklight. But without the clip to charge them they were underwhelming. So, short of buying FFT clips for every blaster I have, I am hoping the zombie strike darts are vibrant enough to react well with the black lights. We are running 4 70watt fluorescent black lights in our living room and dining room, we have red lights to accent the rest of the house and we have a smoke machine showing up this Friday.

limited ability to post for the next couple weeks as a result of this fng group so I apologize if my replies are slow and selective.

#5 WSU Cowboy

WSU Cowboy

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

As for the glow darts, I assume you mean the firefly tech darts. I have a clip for my rayven and I have to say, when they came out of the clip fully charged they looked fantastic under blacklight. But without the clip to charge them they were underwhelming. So, short of buying FFT clips for every blaster I have, I am hoping the zombie strike darts are vibrant enough to react well with the black lights. We are running 4 70watt fluorescent black lights in our living room and dining room, we have red lights to accent the rest of the house and we have a smoke machine showing up this Friday.

Ahhhh ok, I getcha I haven't actually seen how the whiteout or firefly tech darts work under blacklight, I just know how my white clothes act under them and assumed they would work as well. I hope you get this sorted out man, sounds like somethin cool!
"Overkill is Underrated"-Omega Squadron, WSU

#6 Azrael0987

Azrael0987

formerly ijackofftomen. Different dude from Azrael.

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

I'm not sure who all watched Psyk's channel on youtube, but in one of the last couple PWND he uploaded he showed a firefly tech light system that runs on a button cell. It's small enough to fit into the stryfe jam door without hurting function of anything. No need for firefly clips.

#7 MAV13

MAV13

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

I've successfully painted my white streamlines with fluorescent pink spray paint in the past. The key is to coat them in cornstarch after the paint has dried to dry all the tackiness out. I sprayed 400 darts, coated them in cornstarch, and shook off the excess in about 10 minutes. They've worked great going on a year now.

#8 azrael

azrael

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:28 AM

Putting in UV or even just blue LEDs in any blaster will let you make a glowing dart. There's plenty of room in the Elite line of blasters for internal LEDs.
Better Nerf By Science!
http://nerfscience.blogspot.com/

#9 Ashenal

Ashenal

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

I've successfully painted my white streamlines with fluorescent pink spray paint in the past. The key is to coat them in cornstarch after the paint has dried to dry all the tackiness out. I sprayed 400 darts, coated them in cornstarch, and shook off the excess in about 10 minutes. They've worked great going on a year now.

thanks so much for the tip. i will try the cornstarch on another run of darts as soon as i can get to the hardware store.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users