Photo

Marshmallow Crossbow conversion

7 replies to this topic

#1 Havok

Havok

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

Hello NIC, today I am bringing you a new mod for the marshmallow crossbow. Here is what you will need:
-Marshmallow Crossbow
-1/2" PVC coupler
-Goop
-Knife
-Screwdriver

Alrighty then, onto the mod. First take your marshmallow crossbow and unscrew the pistol grip section.
Posted Image

It looks like it would be very easy to integrate a SNAP body into that, so you may or may not want to save it. Either way, put this aside, it is not need for this mod. Now let's focus on the plunger portion of the blaster. Unscrew the front, "handle" I guess is what you would call it, the part that holds the plunger and bow arms in place.
Posted Image

Take out that orange tube that used to hold the marshmallows. Or keep it and used it as an awesome looking breech. I chose not to.
Posted Image

Take out that orange rubber ring too. Now grab your plunger and cut out that little green rubber piece that is covering the front of the plunger tube.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now goop on your coupler where that green piece used to be.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now screw back on that handle and attach the strings to the bow arms. BAM! Now you have and 80-90 foot shooting bow that you can used in tight spaces. No more tilting of the crossbow to get through a small hallway. Now you could either use a single barrel, breech or any other sort of barrel system, but I chose to slap on an RSCB, duct tape it on to the plunger with a 1/2" PVC coupler as a spacer and call it, "The Ghetto Bow", because I had to redo the coupler four times because it broke off, and it basically looks like a mess of PVC, hot glue, and duct tape.
P.S. First write-up :lol:

Edited by Havok, 01 December 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#2 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:02 AM

Nice first write up. The marshmallow crossbow is a great base to work off of and I don't think I've seen one with an RSCB on it yet.

If I may suggest - elbowing your pvc up through the marshmallow loading port (instead of running out the front barrel and then up) would remove several inches of dead space and also move your barrel coupler even further back - compacting the bow even more. I don't know if that would make a difference in performance. The MxB has a huge plunger volume. Minimizing dead space is simply a constant OCD quest for most modders.
"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#3 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

Nice writeup. I have done this before, and honestly, you don't need to strip it down that much to attach the coupler to the front end, just enough to get the front part off is fine. Also shmmee is right, you would be better off with a wye, or the elbow attached rather than a straight PVC coupler. It minimizes deadspace. Also a lot more functional.

Also fair warning. the trigger and catch on mine broke the first war I used mine at, if it does go on you, don't fret, it makes a nice AABow.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#4 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

It's also worth noting that PTEG barrels (and other air gun fit barrels) work very well with the low power bow arms+High volume PT combo. I had to add some surgical tubing to assist the bow arms when using a cpvc barrel(it was VERY temperature and humidity sensitive - worked perfect in the shop, would fail to fire out in the warmth of the sunshine.). The additional power shattered the pt to pieces after a year of use. Switching to a 12" PETG barrel reduced the force required to shoot a dart, and is kinder to the PT.
Griever is right though. The triggers are a weak point in these blasters. I was originally pulling mine apart because of a failed trigger - only to notice the fractured pt. I got lucky though. I got a couple of years use out of mine. I do love that blaster.

Edited by shmmee, 02 December 2013 - 05:26 PM.

"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#5 Havok

Havok

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

Shmmee- I use an RSCB because I do not own or have access to wyes locally. I may have access to dollar store PETG although I have not looked, if I can find it I will try using that instead because it tends to leave the dart in the barrel when not released fast enough. Also I already use it as a bow so it is easier to wield indoors and through hallways. That is why you do not see the pistol grip in any of the final pictures. The reason my elbow is not through the slot is because of the fact that I used a full coupler (not cut in half) so the elbow didn't fit. If I get another one of these I may try a half coupler or just goop on an elbow or wye (if I can get some). Another option would be to make an awesome breech using that orange tube to either glue in a CPVC barrel, or find some FBR that fits into that and fire moos/megas/ whatever size they are>

Griever- I understand that it minimizes deadspace but I seem to be getting the same range results as anyone else with a hopper, and I'm only using stock streamlines. I'm not sure how would much better range I would get vs. If it's worth it to redo it.

#6 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

Besides it minimizing Deadspace, it also adds to some stability and protection to the Wye, or the Elbow.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#7 Havok

Havok

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:01 AM

I would see how it would help protect the wye/ elbow, but I don't see how it would add stability as it is not touching the handle at all. It would also add to shortening the overall blaster because the barrel wouldn't protrude as far forward as usual.

#8 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

I mention it adds stability, because for some reason depending on your clip length for a Hopper, on my plusbow, and modded Ball Blaster, long clips usually loosen the assembly, and they will fall off. With the wye or elbow attached directly to the plunger, with some padding like I did with mine, it adds stability you could loose, plus better safe that sorry.

Edited by Griever 2112, 09 December 2013 - 09:06 AM.

My Youtube Page

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users