Designing a double trigger

14 replies to this topic

#1 jediaelthewise

jediaelthewise

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • State:Maine

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

Greetings everyone. I am stuck on how to carry out an idea I have currently and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I am trying to devise a double trigger mechanism to trigger two magstrikes separately but from one handle. I am planning to take the firing mechanism of 2 magstrikes and mount them in a side by side configuration and hook them both into a single handle with two triggers that actuate each separately from each other.

This is the trigger mechanism I am working with.

Posted Image

One of my ideas was to stack the two valves horizontal onto each other and then have a trigger over each of the orange trigger pieces.

My problem is how to craft a custom handle and trigger parts to accomplish this? I look at the walkthrough of replicating parts with resin and thought maybe I could extrapolate from that and create custom housings for the valves and triggers, but I'm not sure how solid it would be.

If you can decipher my rough sketches, maybe it'll give you a better idea of what I'm after.

Posted Image

A more ambitious idea would be to feed both into a single trigger thru a solenoid valve that would electronically switch between feeds based on a sensor detecting when the magazine was spent, but I don't have the money to be doing something that intricate at the moment.

Any suggestions folks? Thanks

#2 Guest_TheSilverhead_*

Guest_TheSilverhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Get a Y. Have the input go through a single trigger to the base of the Y. Have each arm of the Y go to a magstrike. Put a little on/off valve on each arm's tubing. You can then fire both, or one and then the other, for a grand total of $3.

Edited by TheSilverhead, 15 November 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#3 jediaelthewise

jediaelthewise

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

Get a Y. Have the input to the base of the Y. Have each arm of the Y go to a magstrike. Put a little on/off valve on each arm. You can then fire both, or one and then the other, for a grand total of $3.

I meant to clarify, if I somehow didn't before: yes, that would be a cheap easy option but I want to be able to fire them SEPARATELY. The goal is to be able to fire one and while I'm reloading it, be able to still fire the other. In essence, I want to be able 'dual-wield' two magstrikes while still having a free hand, hence the side by side integration with a double trigger.

Edited by jediaelthewise, 15 November 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#4 PBZ

PBZ

Cap'n Whitebeard

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

if you dont mind having a little more unique design, just mount the triggers one above the other and dont worry about having an actual pull back 'trigger' to connect them. just mount them (say in the magstrike pictured) so that the orange buttons are pointing forward so you can trigger the first blaster with maybe your forefinger and the other with your middle or ring finger, or move your fore finger down.
EDIT- in essence, mount them exactly as you have it in the lower right hand corner of the page, and dont worry about putting a pull back trigger over it.

this enables you to mount them darn near anywhere too, but it does depend on getting them close enough together, which may not be possible (ive never used or torn apart this particular blaster).

Edited by PBZ, 15 November 2013 - 01:48 PM.

"There's nothing quite like hunting children." -VACC

#5 Guest_TheSilverhead_*

Guest_TheSilverhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

I don't think you read my post thoroughly. Each arm from Y to mech has an open or closed valve. Valves 1 and 2 open, both fire. Valve 1 open, valve 2 closed, magstrike #1 fires. Valve 2 open, valve 1 closed, magstrike #2 fires. You have one trigger and two firing selection valves. Shitty paint:
Posted Image

#6 jediaelthewise

jediaelthewise

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

I don't think you read my post thoroughly. Each arm from Y to mech has an open or closed valve. Valves 1 and 2 open, both fire. Valve 1 open, valve 2 closed, magstrike #1 fires. Valve 2 open, valve 1 closed, magstrike #2 fires. You have one trigger and two firing selection valves. Shitty paint:

Thanks for the visual clarification. I had thought of something like that and it would do the job. However that design I'm going for is to not have to make changes to adjust which gun fires. I want the design to be set so that all I have to do it pull the right trigger for the right gun and it fires the one its tied too.

Your post did just give me an idea though now that I'll have to fiddle around with. Thanks

Edited by jediaelthewise, 15 November 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#7 PBZ

PBZ

Cap'n Whitebeard

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

EDIT- jedi got to it first. ignore.

Edited by PBZ, 15 November 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#8 jediaelthewise

jediaelthewise

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

response to edit - ignore as well haha

Edited by jediaelthewise, 15 November 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#9 jediaelthewise

jediaelthewise

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

Silverhead's suggestion gave me an idea for a trigger design: A triple action trigger.

Here's a sketch:

Posted Image

Each valve has a flat piece that actuates the pin that opens the valve. The valve has an internal spring that pushes it closed again so the trigger doesn't need any extra spring to reset it to proper position.

The flat pieces would be next to each other and then three triggers would rest on those. Two covering 2/3rds of a single valve and then one covering a 1/3 of each valve.

The top trigger actuates ONLY valve 1. The bottom actuates ONLY valve 2, and the middle actuates both.

#10 PBZ

PBZ

Cap'n Whitebeard

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

Silverhead's suggestion gave me an idea for a trigger design: A triple action trigger.

Each valve has a flat piece that actuates the pin that opens the valve. The valve has an internal spring that pushes it closed again so the trigger doesn't need any extra spring to reset it to proper position.

The flat pieces would be next to each other and then three triggers would rest on those. Two covering 2/3rds of a single valve and then one covering a 1/3 of each valve.

The top trigger actuates ONLY valve 1. The bottom actuates ONLY valve 2, and the middle actuates both.

i think you are going to have more problems making the third trigger work (because its not held on to anything solid) than if you just put them next to each other and put a larger button top on them, so that you can pull #1/#2/both. i have done some time consuming and annoying work trying to make custom triggers work and it's really a lot easier to just find a button that is comfortable and put in two of them than try to make sliding triggers over them. but hey, whatever floats your goat man.

#11 jktrolldaddy

jktrolldaddy

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

Or you could make a comfortable handle/ mount with 2 key rings that you put your index and middle finger through and connect them to the trigger with some sort of strong wire or string.
[size="7"][/size]KEEP CALM AND BAMF ON

#12 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • State:Utah

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

You might also want to consider a side mounted thumb trigger for the secondary valve.
"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#13 PBZ

PBZ

Cap'n Whitebeard

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

Or you could make a comfortable handle/ mount with 2 key rings that you put your index and middle finger through and connect them to the trigger with some sort of strong wire or string.

not sure if you are living up to your name or just dont understand what hes trying to do... there is no trigger to pull on here with a wire. he needs to push a button.

#14 Datum

Datum

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • State:California

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

Here's a sketch:

Posted Image

It seems that having a third trigger just to operate both seems unnecessary, I don't imagine it being much more difficult to pull two triggers at once. It's an interesting solution, but it seems too complicated, especially since the third will put force off center on two separate valves, meaning they'd have to resist the rotational force as well as be pushed back.

I really like the idea, though. I'd suggest a selector switch just above the trigger valve, but I understand that it would add another step to firing and slow down the process.

Edited by Datum, 15 November 2013 - 06:52 PM.

#15 jediaelthewise

jediaelthewise

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

It seems that having a third trigger just to operate both seems unnecessary, I don't imagine it being much more difficult to pull two triggers at once. It's an interesting solution, but it seems too complicated, especially since the third will put force off center on two separate valves, meaning they'd have to resist the rotational force as well as be pushed back.

I really like the idea, though. I'd suggest a selector switch just above the trigger valve, but I understand that it would add another step to firing and slow down the process.

You make a good point, it'd be one bit less complicated to just pull both triggers, wouldn't it? haha.

I got some parts now and think I have an idea of a rough trigger mechanism now I can do. I will keep you all posted with what I end up building. Thanks for all the input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users